New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

I have the Sunwayfoto DDY-60P0 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1152902-REG/sunwayfoto_ddy_60p0_discal_clamp_for.html) which is designed for this ballhead, but lately I've noticed that it gets lose when wiggled which makes carrying the tripod w/ camera mounted totally untrustworthy.

I think I'd like to get a lever one, though I've never used one before. I also recall needing to (potentially?) make some adjustments to the ballhead to accommodate other clamps. I'm in a "slight" timecrunch so I don't exactly want to buy something and have to wait for shipping (like from RRS?)

I recall looking into this before but can't find the old discussion...

Any help?

Aug 04, 2017 at 11:40 PM
fishjump
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

You don't need a new clamp (I've been using that same one for nearly a year)!

You need this Loctite Blue 242

Aug 05, 2017 at 12:59 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

Most clamps come with a 3/8"-16 or Metric 6 screw & socket but Arca-Swiss is quirky. Your P0 should have a 1/4"-20 stud that you can spin a clamp directly onto. If you get the B2-AS-II-1/4-20 clamp you can just screw it directly onto the round base of the P0. It isn't round like the Sunwayfoto clamp but it's a far superior clamp. RRS currently has them in stock.

If you decide to use blue Loctite very careful with it. You only need a dab.

Aug 05, 2017 at 01:03 AM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

peter_n wrote:
Most clamps come with a 3/8"-16 or Metric 6 screw & socket but Arca-Swiss is quirky. Your P0 should have a 1/4"-20 stud that you can spin a clamp directly onto. If you get the B2-AS-II-1/4-20 clamp you can just screw it directly onto the round base of the P0. It isn't round like the Sunwayfoto clamp but it's a far superior clamp. RRS currently has them in stock.

If you decide to use blue Loctite very careful with it. You only need a dab.

I've heard that specific clamp doesn't work well on the p0, namely it's too large and impedes operation of the panning lever/knob

Go figure the rest aren't threaded...

Aug 05, 2017 at 01:11 AM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

fishjump wrote:
You don't need a new clamp (I've been using that same one for nearly a year)!

You need this Loctite Blue 242

Sorry, to be cleary - the clamp-to-head stays plenty sturdy and I've never even used loctite. But rather the screw-knob comes lose when a bit of force is applied/if the camera "wiggles" which after a few times loosens it enough that the plate+camera can just slide right out

Aug 05, 2017 at 01:11 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
I've heard that specific clamp doesn't work well on the p0, namely it's too large and impedes operation of the panning lever/knob

Go figure the rest aren't threaded...

Oh that's too bad. I was about to suggest the RRS B2-40-LR-1/4-20 as it's 40mm wide and a smaller clamp all round. I just checked and you're right it's not threaded.

Aug 05, 2017 at 01:41 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

Not a lever clamp but a very solid screw clamp made by Chris Hejnar with a 1.5" jaw length. The clamp is tapped at 1/4"-20. I have one of his clamps and it's built like a brick.

Aug 05, 2017 at 02:41 AM
fishjump
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

Sorry, misunderstood. Have you looked at this option?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675591-REG/Arca_Swiss_802012_SlideFix_Quickset_Device_1_4.html

Aug 05, 2017 at 04:12 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

^ This isn't what most of us recognize as an Arca-Swiss clamp, despite the fact that it's made by Arca-Swiss. Its a smaller, narrower device that takes Arca-Swiss SlideFix plates and brackets. The attachment below is a double-decker clamp made by the Arca-Swiss company with two jaws. The upper jaw takes the A-S plates we all use and the lower jaw takes a SlideFix plate.

Arca-Swiss introduced the SlideFix format some years ago and their cameras have built-in SlideFix plates in their bodies. The company introduced the format because they failed to stop American companies like Wimberley and RRS in the courts from producing "Arca-Swiss" type clamps and plates.

Here's some text from A-S on the topic: ARCA-SWISS monoballClassic quickset camera mounting devices were patented in the fifties by ARCA-SWISS. The size of the plates were precisely defined and match the base of the optical bench which had never been changed.

Avoid 3rd. party cameraplates from manufacturers who are not 100% compatible with ARCA-SWISS cameraplates. (ARCA-like, ARCA-type etc...)

The "3rd parties" they refer to are US companies like Kirk, RRS and Wimberley and many other companies overseas.

Aug 05, 2017 at 11:46 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

I have owned the PO with slidefix system for a few years now and always hated how expensive the slidefix plates were. I would check ebay a couple times a year for cheaper options and never found any.

I just checked again after reading this thread and for the first time there is now cheaper options. I found 2 different style plates that are slidefix compatible for around $20.

In my opinion this changes things and now makes this worth considering. When the cheapest plate option was $50 it made it hard for me to recommend the slidefix system. Buying extra plates for tele lenses was costly, but $20 is very reasonable.

I own and love the slidefix setup that fishjump linked to but the plates was why I had regrets.

Aug 05, 2017 at 11:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

mysh wrote:
I have owned the PO with slidefix system for a few years now and always hated how expensive the slidefix plates were. I would check ebay a couple times a year for cheaper options and never found any.

I just checked again after reading this thread and for the first time there is now cheaper options. I found 2 different style plates that are slidefix compatible for around $20.

In my opinion this changes things and now makes this worth considering. When the cheapest plate option was $50 it made it hard for me to recommend the slidefix system. Buying extra plates
...Show more

Mhmm.. everything I've got is the standard arca-swiss... so that's no good for me unfortunately

Aug 05, 2017 at 11:53 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

I know there is a RRS clamp people use on this ballhead that people really love. Getting your current clamp off can be challenging and you should checkout instructions on doing it right. Arca Swiss made it hard to change the clamps on these so you have to do it right.

I forget the name of the RRS clamp that people use on the P0 but I know there is a thread on here talking about it.

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:01 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

here is a article talking about it. I think this is the RRS I was thinking of:

https://www.dallascenterforphotography.com/blog/arca-swiss-p0-head-modify-diy-rrs-clamp/#5

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:02 AM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

mysh wrote:
here is a article talking about it. I think this is the RRS I was thinking of:

https://www.dallascenterforphotography.com/blog/arca-swiss-p0-head-modify-diy-rrs-clamp/#5

Thanks!

And... WHOA! $105 but worse is the $33 shipping to Canada... absolutely not!

Nobody distributes/resells RRS (yet) do they?

$33 shipping to canada makes absolutely zero sense, ESPECIALLY for a tiny clamp

Edit: Oh, B&H carries them! yay!

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:05 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

check ebay and this forum and see if you can find it on one of those used.

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:07 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

By the way the tricky part is getting the hex off. From everything I have read about this that is the part that gives people problems.

Some people think its worth selling the version with the clamp and then rebuying it without a clamp and then adding the RRS. I looked into this a couple years ago which is why I know a little about it. From what I have read some people got the hex off easy and others said it is very hard.

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:13 AM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

mysh wrote:
By the way the tricky part is getting the hex off. From everything I have read about this that is the part that gives people problems.

Some people think its worth selling the version with the clamp and then rebuying it without a clamp and then adding the RRS. I looked into this a couple years ago which is why I know a little about it. From what I have read some people got the hex off easy and others said it is very hard.

I actually have the version without a clamp, so when I remove my Sunwayfoto clamp the little hex bolt + 1/4" piece is exposed... Still need a hex socket that fits in without hitting the walls, and it might not be super easy to remove... but at least I don't have to ALSO remove the clamp?

I've also heard that the M6 screw might be too long and hit the ball. Is this type of screw that is shorter super easy to buy just walking into a hardware store?

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:18 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Is this type of screw that is shorter super easy to buy just walking into a hardware store?

I don't think so. I replaced a Sunwayfoto panning clamp on a geared head with a RRS panning clamp and I had to cut the screw then file the threads at the cut. I couldn't find a screw of the correct size.

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:38 AM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

Okay so now I'm feeling a bit more confused...

It seems the RRS clamp options are between B2-40-LR-M6 and B2-AS-II-M6. I've seen some people say the AS is too big for the head and can also interfere with the panning lock. What's the disadvantages of the B2-40? It seems slightly smaller, but the jaws don't seem much shorter?

My one worry about the B2-40 is that it appears to be an older design. Is the lever still good? Would it still be "flexible" accepting non-RRS plates? I read somewhere that their clamps at least used to not accept wide range of plates? I've got a Kirk L-bracket on my 5D Mark IV, so it's a newly-manufactured plate.

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:27 PM
prosumerhacks
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

The lever on B2-40-LR-M6 can hinder the panning lock at certain angles but this is relatively easy to work around. The holding strength of this combo is amazing.

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password