FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

h ttps://petapixel.com/2017/08/04/youngnuo-releases-first-lithium-ion-powered-flash-canon-rt/

Aug 04, 2017 at 02:48 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

Am I the only one who hasn’t had a problem with quality eneloops?

Aug 04, 2017 at 03:28 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

ZachOly wrote:

It's more the management of 16-20 batteries + backup batteries vs 4-5 that last over the course of two-three weddings.

Aug 04, 2017 at 04:41 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

dhp_sf wrote:
It's more the management of 16-20 batteries + backup batteries vs 4-5 that last over the course of two-three weddings.

exactly. I swear by eneloops...never have had a single cell go bad, and I probably have 30+ of the buggers. But, the single lithium batteries and just a God-send. So so so much easier.

Aug 04, 2017 at 09:50 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

I'm in the world of 6-hour shoots and not using much strobist these days so I can go most Summer weddings with just one set of AA's but Li-Ion is great for those Winter drunk dancing 11-hour marathons.

Aug 04, 2017 at 10:03 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

Very tempting, my YN-600s have been excellent but AA batteries are a pain.

Aug 05, 2017 at 12:34 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

ZachOly wrote:

I love my Eneloops AAs. I love them even more now that I'm only charging 4 of them instead of charging 40 of them.

Aug 05, 2017 at 02:38 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

One of my associates got two of these and brought 'em by today for some testing. They are as advertised and seem solid/reliable.

I ordered one to throw in the fleet. If they work in the field, I'm migrating. Have five 600RT's I can eBay.

Aug 15, 2017 at 07:34 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

My first two arrived today and seem to work fine. They earned a spot in the line up for Saturday but I won't get rid of all my 600s until I get a little experience with them.

Aug 16, 2017 at 06:50 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

Only significant improvement it makes over the RT v1 interface is a battery life indicator (yay).

For the life of me I can't understand why these clone companies don't use the v2 interface from the 430RT, or ... make up a better one of their own. It's not like Canon was channeling the greatness of Apple, or Nest.

Aug 16, 2017 at 09:26 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

I hate hate hate AA batteries. I really wish Canon would move to an LP-E6 battery for their speedlites. I realize this would make the flash more expensive, but I don't care.

Problems with AAs are as follows:
- You have NO idea how much charge is left on them. Is that flash 20% charged or 90% charged? No idea.
- AAs keep working until all of a sudden you dont. (see point above).
- If one cell goes bad (it happens), your device all of a sudden doesn't have enough voltage to work properly. Unless you have a battery tester on you, you don't know which cell it is.
- Its a huge PITA having to manage so many AA batteries.

So yes, I would gladly pay $70 more for a lithium ion powered Canon speedlite (with a % battery meter on it) which uses the same battery as my camera bodies do. Bonus points for charge via USB feature.

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:12 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

Shot two of these as slaves as a wedding tonight -- no hiccups at all (my 430 EX RTs communicated with them straight out of the box) and having to only worry about AAs for my masters would be awesome.

4 more on order and I think my 600s will be up for sale.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:16 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

So these things afe fully compatible with the 600's? (As: can be triggered from any canon trigger and flash?)

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:49 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

So these things are fully compatible with the 600's? (As: can be triggered from any canon trigger and flash?)

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:50 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

Yes-- they are essentially a 600 with a different battery and slightly different menus. I dont care about the menus because I do everything from the camera LCD.

Last night I was running a mix of Canon 430 EX RTs, YN 600s, and YN686s and 0 issues at all. I can't confirm for the Canon 600s but I'd assume it's fine since my 430s had no issue.

I am looking forward to carrying AAs for 8 less slaves in the near future.

Aug 20, 2017 at 09:44 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

No problem with AA's, but I have problems with yongnuo flashes (my experience with YN560 IV was that it doesn't sync reliably or past 1/100 or 1/125 sec). OTOH, I bought a flashpoint manual AA flash a little while ago and it works excellent, sync speeds are good, interface is really easy to use, has 200mm zoom, and good recycle times.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:08 AM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

I purchased Adorama flashpoint Li-On R2 flash to replace my Canon flash (but I still keep Canon as backup) and I love it. I don't know how long this flash will last but with its price, I'm fine with it. The most important thing I like is I don't have to carry battery pack on my waist anymore and no fiddling with cord!

Aug 27, 2017 at 02:41 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

I put a 686exRT in the mix with our lights for four weddings this weekend (mostly Canon 600's) with the following to report ...

THE GOOD

> works mostly as expected - nice output, cloned Canon interface
> recycle time is strong, but not as fast at full power as a 600 (with an external power pack)
> battery indicator (nice addition - are you listening Canon?) shows 50% left after 8 hours of shooting
> eTTL exposures are spot on

THE BAD

> lock down on the shoe doesn't clamp to a standard stand cold shoe (you have to rely on the cold shoe tension)
> radio reception is weaker compared to a Canon 600/430
> flash takes longer than expected to wake up give the visual confirmation on the trigger interface

OF NOTE

On Thursday, two of his were hitting it hard during drunk dancing. A Canon 600 went into thermal and shut off (orange screen) but the Youngnuo kept firing. Either that means the Youngnuo can withstand more or the Canon is better protected. We laughed at the thought of the Youngnuo just exploding at some point. I'm all about the customer experience and a speed light on fire would be something nobody would forget.

Twice during the weekend, the Youngnuo stopped working while a Canon 600 was still firing. If I switched to a body with a trigger with fresher batteries (either a 430RT or STE2) the Youngnuo would snap to life. Feels like the receiver isn't as sensitive as a Canon and you need to stay on top of the batteries in your transmitter. Guessing if you had a complete 686exRT system this wouldn't be an issue, but I don't like to have a big flash on my camera bodies.

I got one for 165USD with an extra battery in the box. Ordering another this week. Feeling like we'll likely migrate.

Aug 28, 2017 at 01:59 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

Had four weddings last weekend and off-camera was 100% 686exRT. They're good enough. Have learned their little "personalities" and am moving forward to migrate to them.

Now ... if Adorama would actually start shipping this ... (it's been in pre-order status since early Spring)

h ttps://www.adorama.com/orlfrlrtk.html?utm_source=rflaid68302

Sep 04, 2017 at 12:14 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Youngnuo YN686EX-RT | Lithium powered and RT support

OT - one of our associates completely melted a YN685 at a wedding the other day. As in burning plastic and all the drama.

It was the same associate that was shooting the 686's with me for the first time and we joked about how the Canon's would jump into to thermal protection while the Younguo's would keep shooting. It would seem the Younguo's will turn into a hunk of burning (melting) love.

PM me and I'll send you the photo he sent me. Oh, the humanity.

Sep 12, 2017 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.