New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

why switch from Nikon??

boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · why switch from Nikon??

I am a part time pro shooter, I do events, family sessions and maybe 3 weddings a year. I am thinking about making the move to mirrorless and buying the XT2 and glass. Now I keep trying to convince myself to switch but cant. I own a top of the line Nikon D5 and a D750 with pro glass as well as speedlights and Profoto B1s. What is the Fuji going to do for me that the Nikon doesn't do already My only issue with my Nikons is the size and if I shot fulltime I can see this as a very good reason. Those of you that made the switch are you 100% happy that you did so tia

Aug 04, 2017 at 03:54 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · why switch from Nikon??

boshek wrote:
I am a part time pro shooter, I do events, family sessions and maybe 3 weddings a year. I am thinking about making the move to mirrorless and buying the XT2 and glass. Now I keep trying to convince myself to switch but cant. I own a top of the line Nikon D5 and a D750 with pro glass as well as speedlights and Profoto B1s. What is the Fuji going to do for me that the Nikon doesn't do already My only issue with my Nikons is the size and if I shot fulltime I can see this as
...Show more

There's absolutely nothing the Fuji can do for you that the Nikon can't.

Having said that, I switched from a Nikon FF system and never looked back. You either love the Fuji experience or you don't. And when I say "experience", I mean everything about the Fuji world of photography. The way they listen to their customers. The look of those files. The way they are built. The fact that the lenses are so good...everything.

Obviously, YMMV.

Aug 04, 2017 at 09:50 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · why switch from Nikon??

ty for your input

Aug 04, 2017 at 12:36 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · why switch from Nikon??

Personally if you are not unhappy with your Nikon setup, I would just continue shooting with it, especially for paid work. Let's be serious here, Fuji only brings a smaller package...but at what costs? Will the flash system work as seemlessy as the Nikon? Will the image quality, especially in low light be adequate for your pro needs? Will the lens selection be what you need?

When I switched from Canon to Sony, there were two distinct reasons:

1. Much lighter kit as I travel for months at a time and just could not haul my Canon outfit.
2. High mpix camera as I print large.

Both of those are very B&W issues that were met with the switch. You need to lay out your B&W issues with Nikon and then see if Fuji solves those issues and ensure the new issue Fuji brings does not cause more problems for you.

Things like the Retro feel of Fuji is just better or Fuji is more responsive really don't put bread on your table...but having a great flash system for your work dies.

Aug 04, 2017 at 12:52 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · why switch from Nikon??

While some pro shooters have switched and are happy, it's largely hobbyist on these forums that are switching, with most people being happy for the reduced size and weight.

Given your pro needs are different than the hobbyist shooter I don't know if I would switch.

I kept my Nikon gear when I was still doing paid work, but now that I've hung that up, I've sold the dslrs and gone totally mirrorless

For my needs which is family, landscapes etc, mirrorless works great. If I started doing weddings etc again, I'd likely consider going back to dslrs

Aug 04, 2017 at 01:12 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · why switch from Nikon??

All this talk about keeping other systems for "pro work" is nonsense. There are PLENTY of pros shooting nothing BUT Fuji. It all depends on each person's needs.

And before I get flamed, I am not a Fuji fanboy.

Aug 04, 2017 at 01:26 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · why switch from Nikon??

Find a compromise and keep your Nikon system, maybe just the D750 for the several events during the year and get a Fuji alongside. It will soon become clear whether you keep both systems or not. Personally I have both

Aug 04, 2017 at 01:35 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · why switch from Nikon??

There are pro shooters who earn a living shooters iPhones too.

Your missing the point though, which isn't to say a Fuji system cant be used for pro work, but simply that it might be less than ideal, especially if someone is already used to their Nikon rig.

I don't know your background, but mine is that I earned a living through photography for the past decade. I've owned Nikon and also all the mirrorless systems. I've lost more money in buying and selling fees alone than most folks have spent on their entire kits lol

Knowing Nikon and Fuji, and knowing what goes into paid work for things like weddings, I'd absolutely stick with Nikon for those needs if it was me.

The Nikon flash system is so much better than Fujis, and for that aspect alone I'd stick with Nikon, not to mention the better high ISO etc.

This isn't to say Fuji is bad in any ways, as I said, I sold all my Nikon gear and went Fuji. The key though is I've retired from pro shooting so my needs have totally changed.

Likewise if I was still doing NFL games and such there is no way I'd be shooting Fuji. 100-400 just wouldn't cut it like a 400/2.8 on a D4.

I think there is a time and place for a dslr rig and there is a place for mirrorless. Neither totally replaced the other.

I've taken vacations with a 30lb bag of dslr gear though and can simply say never again to that.

I don't know why we can't seem to accept that no one system is going to be perfect for any and all needs, and that even if something works for us it might not work for someone else

I mean hell, I just put all my Fuji gear up for sale, and bought a em1.2 and 12-100 which is going to be my new vacation kit as I want to ditch the tripod

Am I suggesting that everyone else go ditch their Fuji, Sony etc ? Not at all, I simply did what works best for me and what I want to shoot.

I want to get motion blur on waterfalls while hiking in Hawaii and don't want a tripod. For that specific need I think the mft kit makes perfect sense

Aug 04, 2017 at 01:40 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · why switch from Nikon??

boshek wrote:
I am thinking about making the move to mirrorless and buying the XT2 and glass. Now I keep trying to convince myself to switch but cant.

What is your compelling reason to switch to mirrorless, specifically Fuji?

I took the liberty of looking at your website. You do very nice more traditional type work. Based on my years as a full time pro back in the film days and having just rented the Fuji X-T2, I don't see any specific advantage it would give you over your Nikon. If you had a more reportage (PJ) wedding style (https://fujifilm-blog.com/2015/10/07/five-wedding-photographers-who-made-the-switch/), then I would think it would be a great choice. I did some burst shooting (8 fps) while trying the X-T2 and I could see how it would be wonderful during those spontaneous wedding moments.

I suggest you rent a Fuji for a week and see what you think. Personally, I fell in love with the camera and I feel it could meet my non-professional needs.

Aug 04, 2017 at 02:31 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · why switch from Nikon??

boshek, you might also check out Kevin Mullins work with his Fuji gear.

https://www.kevinmullinsphotography.co.uk/

I'm not a pro, but I do get paid to shoot every week as part of my job and my old Nikon kit was getting harder and harder to haul around all morning. I am SO happy I made the switch. The X-T2 gives me everything I need to keep our BOD's happy.

Aug 04, 2017 at 02:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · why switch from Nikon??

I loved my Nikon gear but I noticed that even though I took it to places and family events, I ended up not taking it out of the bag.

Aug 04, 2017 at 02:46 PM
jasonhupe
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · why switch from Nikon??

I have been using Fuji for a bit now and trying to mix into my wedding/personal work.
For me, I will never sell off my FF gear at this point. My Take,
Fuji Pro: Small, great files, great usability, listen to customers, price point, EVF
Fuji Con: Focus during fast action, battery life, build quality (Not bad but not like a D3/D4/D5)

I love that I use the fuji at times I would not use FF gear, random shooting, personal, travel.
But for my main work as a wedding photographer, I like my FF gear too much. Too use to the lens, the thinner DOF for portraits, the feel of a pro body.

Also fuji does not hold value for even a minute. I would rent a kit for a week to test out. The used market is flush with lens and bodies to pick up if you like. I would say switching 100% is not for everyone. There are times I still love my FF gear but that is not to say that the fuji can't do it. Files are amazing and great to work. I did find that there was a big difference for me in file quality from the XT1/XPro1 to the XPro2/XT2 line, in a good way.

Aug 04, 2017 at 07:11 PM
George Orwell
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · why switch from Nikon??

jasonhupe wrote:

Also fuji does not hold value for even a minute.

Use this to your advantage. Buying used saves a fortune, especially with Fujifilm gear as it loses value very quickly. New XT-1's are being blown out at $799 or less and that absolutely punishes the used value of the camera. I've seen XT-1's, formerly a $1500 camera just 2 years ago, now sell used for under $500. The lenses also lose a lot of value. Just look at the B & S board here.

With these kinds of savings, getting a Fuji camera used dramatically lowers the price allowing you to get a second system rather than replace your primary one.

Aug 04, 2017 at 10:19 PM
jigesh
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · why switch from Nikon??

boshek wrote:
I am a part time pro shooter, I do events, family sessions and maybe 3 weddings a year. I am thinking about making the move to mirrorless and buying the XT2 and glass. Now I keep trying to convince myself to switch but cant. I own a top of the line Nikon D5 and a D750 with pro glass as well as speedlights and Profoto B1s. What is the Fuji going to do for me that the Nikon doesn't do already My only issue with my Nikons is the size and if I shot fulltime I can see this as
...Show more

I am happy with the switch (which I did only for portability reasons), but I am just a hobbyist and make no money out of photography.

In my personal view, for a pro such as you, switching to mirrorless could be limiting depending on what type of work you do as a pro (Nikon has better lighting systems, better/more ergonomic/pro bodies, better sensors, longer battery life, extensive lenses choices, etc). You may want to try out Fuji as a supporting system to your main system and see how you like it before making a total switch.

Aug 05, 2017 at 12:26 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · why switch from Nikon??

ty all for your advice, I do appreciate it.

Aug 05, 2017 at 02:11 AM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · why switch from Nikon??

Boshek,

I'm not a Nikon shooter but I will have to say that if your use to incredible auto focus you will notice a difference in AF speed. In good / ideal light you'll be please with a Fuji X-T2. However during a reception/dimly lit dance floor your Nikon with speedlight with red focus assist will have great AF accuracy. I do get quite frustrated with the "!AF" indicator on the X-T2 telling me it can't focus. The EF-x500 fuji flash emits a blindy bright white led which is quite distracting.

I absolutely love my Fuji gear but for hired events I cannot sell my Canon gear. I really suggest buying or renting fuji and for casual events lug it along with your Nikon. You will soon discover the strengths and weakness of the Fuji system with your shooting style.

Aug 05, 2017 at 08:15 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · why switch from Nikon??

Although I agree that I would probably stick with your system if I was doing professional work...weddings, events, etc. I just wanted to comment that I don't find the comments about flash valid anymore. Between the extremely thorough, reliable and cheap Godox system, the young but great Nissin system and the Cactus options, I see no reason that you can't meet your flash needs with Fuji if you read up about it and pick the right system.

Only been shooting a short time with the Godox system, but am amazed thus far. Seems to be extremely reliable, super affordable and has just about all the major options (TT350 all the way up to the AD600).

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:01 PM
lawa222
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · why switch from Nikon??

I'd disagree that Fuji loses it's value in a minute. The bodies, yes, but most of the lenses seem strong. Pro zooms you're looking at 20%ish off retail. Most primes also around 20% off. It's really only the old lenses that can sell pretty cheap, like 35/1.4, or if you unluckily happen to want to sell right during/after a big rebate season.

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:11 PM
amci4
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · why switch from Nikon??

boshek wrote:
...Show more

I went from a Nikon FX to a Fuji System myself. Today, I was in Best Buy and I saw the D750, so I went over and started playing around with the body...

After using the body for a few minutes, I found myself thinking, "What was I thinking? How could I have ever felt the Nikon system was the standard for ergonomics and controls?" To say the least, there are far too many things about the Fuji system and I know far too much about it now. This is why I can never go back to a Nikon DSLR Body! The Fuji controls are how a camera should function!

As for the Flash System... It's missing one piece and then it will be complete. The Godox Receiver isn't due out for a little bit longer, then you'll be controlling multiple sets of strobes all at once. HSS is also very reliable as you can see by the attached image.

Image quality might be a tiny bit better with the D750 (Negligble), but so many other areas of the Fuji system are just better implemented than the Nikon.

So, you have two choices.

"You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe about Fuji vs Nikon. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and let Fuji show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

X-T2    XF35mmF1.4 R lens    35mm    f/2.8    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:44 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · why switch from Nikon??

amci4 wrote:
I went from a Nikon FX to a Fuji System myself. Today, I was in Best Buy and I saw the D750, so I went over and started playing around with the body...

After using the body for a few minutes, I found myself thinking, "What was I thinking? How could I have ever felt the Nikon system was the standard for ergonomics and controls?" To say the least, there are far too many things about the Fuji system and I know far too much about it now. This is why I can never go back to a Nikon DSLR Body!
...Show more

As of now I have both systems but will only use the Fuji and then i'll make a decision. I might keep the Nikon for low light AF/high iso shooting. ty for the post!!

Aug 21, 2017 at 01:29 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password