New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Returning an item...

leroyhbrown

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Returning an item...

Would it be fair to say 95% of people on FM would not be willing to return a used item if the buyer is unhappy with gear, or description of product? The money I make on selling something isn't worth it if the buyer is unhappy with item in the end. I mentioned I'd pay for shipping both ways and the guy finally agreed, but ran me the line 95% of people would not take an item for return.

Aug 03, 2017 at 08:34 PM
VictorJB
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Returning an item...

Hi Leroy,

If the item is not as described, I would say a return is always warranted. However, that's the only instance where it's warranted. The sellers on FM are private sellers, they shouldn't have to accept a return because of buyer's remorse for example.

leroyhbrown wrote:
Would it be fair to say 95% of people on FM would not be willing to return a used item if the buyer is unhappy with gear, or description of product? The money I make on selling something isn't worth it if the buyer is unhappy with item in the end. I mentioned I'd pay for shipping both ways and the guy finally agreed, but ran me the line 95% of people would not take an item for return.

Aug 03, 2017 at 10:16 PM
leroyhbrown

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Returning an item...

Thanks VictorJB. I obviously didn't feel item was in condition as described by seller. Now I'm out $100 for shipping & he's the one that is upset. Go figure.

Aug 04, 2017 at 12:24 AM
VictorJB
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Returning an item...

Leroy,

Leaving appropriate feedback is always fair in this case. In the future if you feel an item isn't properly described and you can't settle with the seller. Make a PayPal claim for "Item not as described". PayPal will work with you to make things right.

leroyhbrown wrote:
Thanks VictorJB. I obviously didn't feel item was in condition as described by seller. Now I'm out $100 for shipping & he's the one that is upset. Go figure.

Aug 04, 2017 at 12:35 AM
leroyhbrown

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Returning an item...

Thanks for the advice VictorJB. I appreciate your time.

Aug 04, 2017 at 12:48 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Returning an item...

Also, take a photo of the package (with return address visible) and another one of the receipt showing tracking, ect... Under the transaction details in PayPal there is a spot to request return shipping. Upload both to PayPal and they'll usually refund the shipping. PayPal now allows you 12 free returns under $30 per transaction per year.

Aug 04, 2017 at 03:38 PM
leroyhbrown

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Returning an item...

Thanks Etherton. I'll be sure to take a few photos. Shipping was $50 however and not sure if it will work. But I appreciate the advice & help.

Aug 04, 2017 at 06:17 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Returning an item...

They'll refund up to $30 so you'll be out $20.

Aug 04, 2017 at 10:09 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Returning an item...

All sales are final - no returns. Please read the description carefully.

Aug 05, 2017 at 08:19 AM
VictorJB
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Returning an item...

Paul,

If someone sold you a lens that they said was a 10+, used photos of the lens when it was brand new and then you received a lens that looked like it's been to war, you would surely be asking for a refund. PayPal would also back you in this instance.

Paul Mo wrote:
All sales are final - no returns. Please read the description carefully.

Aug 05, 2017 at 12:18 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Returning an item...

When I've sold expensive gear (and bought also), I work a deal with the buyer or seller that there is a 24 hour inspection time on the equipment. No longer though. I don't want someone using it all weekend, or for a few days and then they're thinking to themselves "Maybe I should have bought the Sigma instead..." THAT's not a good reason to return. The need to inspect, test, and agree it's what they expected. And I do the same..

Aug 05, 2017 at 08:01 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Returning an item...

Completely agree on the "buyers remorse" return aspect - private sellers here, not Walmart - but if it not as described, that's another matter.

Aug 06, 2017 at 08:16 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Returning an item...

Be aware that Buyer may be using his dissatisfaction as a tactic to get you to lower the amount he has to pay , eg.,

"Given the obvious defects that you've failed to disclose, if you refund me $xxxx, then I'll keep the item." My policy is that I will accept a return w/o argument provided that, upon its return paid for by Buyer, I will carefully inspect it, compare serial #'s between sold and returned item, compare relevant pictures and operational integrity, and, if in same condition as when I sent it, I'll refund all money to Buyer and add (or cross off) said Buyer to me list of folks I won't deal with in the future.

On another site I sold a guy a pristine 105/2.8 VR Micro. He swore up and down it took crummy pictures: OOF no matter what he did. I said return it: he did in the required condition and I refunded his $ in full; He paid for shipping back. It turned out he didn't know how to operate the switch to engage the AF. His loss

Aug 06, 2017 at 08:55 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Returning an item...

All the above comments are the reason why I sell gear locally. The potential buyer and I meet in a public spot, usually a donut shop, and the buyer can inspect, take pictures, test, whatever. If buyer is happy, funds are exchanged and I get the buyer to sign a bill of sale which basically states no warranties, no returns, as is where is. I'm not Adorama given the selling price. Never had anyone complain or refuse to sign.

I also won't buy anything here from someone who I don't recoginize from many posts on other forums. Anybody who sells gear here using pictures which don't represent the items for sale is a scammer. Fred should be contacted and a claim started with PayPal. Simple....

Aug 07, 2017 at 12:59 PM
Donniel
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Returning an item...

This is simple... he had buyers remorse. It was described exactly as is. I've never had bad feedback before because I never try and screw someone over. Also this was a PayPal gift payment. I didn't have to accept the return. PayPal will not reimburse for a payment thru gift. If I was trying to con someone, I wouldn't have agreed to take it back.

Aug 07, 2017 at 11:41 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Returning an item...

Donniel wrote:
This is simple... he had buyers remorse. It was described exactly as is. I've never had bad feedback before because I never try and screw someone over. Also this was a PayPal gift payment. I didn't have to accept the return. PayPal will not reimburse for a payment thru gift. If I was trying to con someone, I wouldn't have agreed to take it back.

Who are you and what are you talking about? Are you a participant in the transaction? I don't see any prior posting.

Aug 08, 2017 at 08:03 AM
Donniel
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Returning an item...

Read what I wrote sir and use common sense.

Aug 08, 2017 at 08:13 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Returning an item...

Donniel wrote:
Read what I wrote sir and use common sense.

Where is the original posting for the item? Was it deleted?

Aug 08, 2017 at 09:46 AM
Donniel
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Returning an item...

If you look hard enough you will find it. You can't delete listings. I swear I wonder if people look to find drama.

Aug 08, 2017 at 09:48 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Returning an item...

Donniel wrote:
If you look hard enough you will find it.

I think that's a microaggression. I have an internal conflict going on right now, between feeling victimized and being offended. Only time will tell which emotion wins out. Now where's my safe space?

Aug 08, 2017 at 08:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.