New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · How you do backups?

BoomerM3

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How you do backups?

I want to find out how everyone is doing 'in the field' backups. With the Fuji X-T2, there are new options available. At the same time, many of the old options are gone.

I am planning a trip overseas (Japan) for 14 days. The itinerary calls for some street photography; landscape images; and birds in flight. Based on history, I expect to come home with 2000-3000 images. In the past, I have travelled with a dedicated backup device (Hyperdrive HD80) or a laptop. I don't want to carry a laptop this trip. The Hyperdrive is obsolete.

There are very few portable, dedicated backup devices on the market today. Some are the Hyperdrive Colorspace, Flash Porter (which never made it out of Kickstarter), and a couple of very old devices.

Now Fuji offers a camera with backup capability in the 2-slot (X-T2) camera. My questions:

Have you used the second slot as a backup device? What was your experience?

Is there a negative side to using the 2nd slot - speed, battery drain, other?

Is there a better way (not in the camera) to do backups?

Comments appreciated.

Aug 03, 2017 at 03:10 PM
gyoung143
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How you do backups?

I use the second slot as a 'mirror' backup, but also at the end of most days I copy one of the sd cards onto a small Toshiba laptop. Its 11 inch and good battery life (5-6 hrs) and light/small, useful for a bit of editing and posting too when wifi is available.
Gerry

Aug 03, 2017 at 03:23 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How you do backups?

In the past when I've wanted to backup cards, yet travel light, I've used one of these.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/440932/winbook_tw802_tablet_-_black

I keep either a 64gb or 128gb micro SD in the tablet and just copy straight over the micro SD card from the camera via USB. It's not the speediest, but the tablet runs full version of Windows 10 so it's very versatile.

Aug 03, 2017 at 03:45 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How you do backups?

BoomerM3 wrote:
I want to find out how everyone is doing 'in the field' backups. With the Fuji X-T2, there are new options available. At the same time, many of the old options are gone.

I am planning a trip overseas (Japan) for 14 days. The itinerary calls for some street photography; landscape images; and birds in flight. Based on history, I expect to come home with 2000-3000 images. In the past, I have travelled with a dedicated backup device (Hyperdrive HD80) or a laptop. I don't want to carry a laptop this trip. The Hyperdrive is obsolete.

There are very few portable, dedicated
...Show more

The simplest thing to do in my opinion, is to just take a bunch of smallish SD cards, like 16 gigs. Use the number one card to write RAWs to and jpegs to the number two card.

When the number one card fills up, switch out both cards. By using only 16g cards, you'll not have a ton of photos on them in case something does happen to the camera. Plus, they are cheap.

Aug 04, 2017 at 04:57 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How you do backups?

I use the second SD card as a backup in camera, and every night on tour I copy my files to a MacBook Air, with a small external hard drive as a backup to that. So I actually have four sources for my files; two SD cards, the laptop and the hard drive.

Aug 04, 2017 at 07:51 AM
slay12345
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How you do backups?

Western Digital My Passport Wireless Pro.
https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-pro.html
This was our solution to a 3 week trip to Africa with minimal connection to the outside world. No tablet or laptop to weigh us down.
After an initial setup at home, you can plug an sd card directly into it and have it backup any new images that it recognizes. It won't waste time/energy backing up old files. It has a series of 4 blinking to solid lights to show the transfer status.
You can connect your smartphone and free app via wifi and view the images within the folders as well as status information about the drive itself.
(That's the worst part and my only complaint of it though. The app is clunky and the automatic folder structure is not user friendly, but with some time you can successfully navigate through it all).
It's also a usb battery source as well if you're in a pinch.

Aug 04, 2017 at 08:17 AM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How you do backups?

Never had a card fail on me yet but I have a iUSBportHD that I used to bring with me for travel to backup my photos, slow but it worked (about 3MB/s)
Now a days, I don't really care anymore as photography is just a hobby and if my SD card fails, I have some memorable photos on my Iphone.

On the X-T2, I had SD1 for RAW and SD2 for JPEG but then I started using continuous.
Now that I'm back with cameras with a single SD slot only, don't really care for backup, that said when I travel I have to bring my laptop for work so I end up moving the files on the laptop and do some quick editing and then upload on my private flickr account as backup

Aug 04, 2017 at 08:26 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How you do backups?

Small laptop for me.

As far as cards go:
I never had a CF card fail, but it seems to be a regular thing on SD based memory for me (although with all of the fake cards out there, that could be my problem). Just had a bad card the other day, Lexar, the read/write light on the camera just stayed on after taking a photo and no image was written.

Aug 04, 2017 at 09:57 AM
redclmbr

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How you do backups?

I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wireless-Companion-Streamer-External/dp/B00AQUMZRA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501859800&sr=8-3&keywords=ravpower+wireless

It works very similar to the Western Digital My Passport Wireless Pro mentioned above, but it allows you to use your own storage device (I didn't wan't to have to buy a new one if the HD died) and of course it's cheaper. I use a large (128gb) usb thumb drive and back up my photos whenever convenient, usually at the end of each day while on a trip. The device and storage would stay in my room in case my gear gets stolen while I'm out (I was in South America... you probably wont have to worry much about that in Japan). It's a little annoying to set up, but once it's setup it's easy to use. You just put your SD card in, turn on, connect to the device's wifi with your phone, and copy the files you want over from the SD to your USB storage. Easy. It's also kind of nice since you can copy files from your phone as well... so I can have my travel companions copy all their phone photos over to the USB stick as well, making for a great consolidated store of everyone's photos. Great when you don't all return to the same place.

Looks like they have an updated model now here: https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wireless-Portable-Companion-Streamer/dp/B016ZWS9ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501859800&sr=8-1&keywords=ravpower+wireless

Aug 04, 2017 at 10:28 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How you do backups?

Why is your Hyperdrive obsolete? I have one 500 gb Hyperdrive that is
fully functional. and has been used in over 100 countries visited.

Aug 04, 2017 at 10:58 AM
BoomerM3

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How you do backups?

garydavidjones wrote:
Why is your Hyperdrive obsolete? I have one 500 gb Hyperdrive that is
fully functional. and has been used in over 100 countries visited.

My Hyperdrive is model HD80 (2005). It uses USB 2.0 and FAT32 - maximum of 32Gb.

Aug 05, 2017 at 08:28 AM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How you do backups?

I'm traveling the world for a year and I'm using a MacBook Air and a combo of 128gb SD cards (seems to be the sweet spot of cost/size) and 256gb flash drives (Costco has sandisk USB 3.0's cheap) and I'm reaching my storage limits. I'll probably be adding one of the Passport Wireless drives previously mentioned. But between the Mac and my cards/thumbdrives I have 1.5tb of space. The MacBook Air does a nice job with LR and FCPx as well. I also cull images for a few minutes every morning with my coffee to maximize storage space. After 6 months and 20 countries visited I have about 1500 keepers and a couple hours of video out of 25k or so total shots and lots of video.

Aug 07, 2017 at 04:17 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.