Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and ...

ggreene
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

I can see Canon moving to articulating flip screens for the 5D and under but would prefer that Canon leave it off the 1D series. That looks to me like just another way for rain to get inside the body whether it's extended or not. I value reliability in tough conditions far more then a gimmicky screen.

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:51 PM
Photonadave
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

bootster wrote:
" Of course the word "clandestine" was immediately taken out of context here. That was not the intended use of the word, or the use of the camera. YMMV."

Perhaps "Candid" works better for what you meant. "Clandestine" adds an element of drama that if I were in your place I could have easily missed the unintended context it can be perceived to convey.

I'll let you off the hook this time as I hope others would for me.

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:50 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

I forget which one of my G P&Ss first had a flip screen but I became a fan of being able to get shots where I can't conveniently get my face. One of the reasons I went for the 5D4 is that I've become a fan of touch screen capture on a tripod as well. Don't really mind that it doesn't have a flippy screen because I usually also have a G1X, 80D, or soon SL2 near by and I prefer a small camera body/lens for use when a flip screen is necessary. The SL2 will probably replace the 80D in this role. The new 35 mm IS STM macro with built in ring light is wonderful for sticking your camera down close to something as well.

And another nice thing about the flippy screens like on the G1X, 80D, 6D2 or SL2 is that you can close them up when the camera is bouncing along your side while hiking.

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:07 PM
technic
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I forget which one of my G P&Ss first had a flip screen but I became a fan of being able to get shots where I can't conveniently get my face. One of the reasons I went for the 5D4 is that I've become a fan of touch screen capture on a tripod as well. Don't really mind that it doesn't have a flippy screen because I usually also have a G1X, 80D, or soon SL2 near by and I prefer a small camera body/lens for use when a flip screen is necessary. The SL2 will probably replace
...Show more

I'm considering the switch from 80D to SL2 for similar reasons, the flip screen is so much easier for macro shots and many other situations like when one needs a very low or high angle that it is now probably my main 'viewfinder'. The better OVF of the 80D is still not accurate enough for critical focusing with MF, its MFA for correcting PDAF issues doesn't work well for macro either (because it cannot adjust for focus distance) and the much better AF system still doesn't work well for my main action subject which is dragonflies-in-flight.

The only thing I miss is more accurate focus point in Liveview, which could maybe be solved with focus peaking or s split screen magnify option so that I can see where the camera is focusing exactly (maybe in a future MagicLantern version?). This is also the primary reason for still using the OVF for macro when I can, because although the OVF isn't very accurate you can see much better where the exact focus is than with Liveview. But when you get older, many low macro shots become impossible using OVF especially if you don't want to get wet/dirty.

For bouncing along I would prefer a tilt screen though, it doesn't stick out on the sides whatever you do. Closing the flip screen so you don't bump the camera into something while moving and opening it again a few moments later for another subject is a real drag.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:48 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

technic wrote:
But when you get older, many low macro shots become impossible using OVF especially if you don't want to get wet/dirty.

Or spend hours cleaning the beach tar out of your pants and shirt - I live in Southern California.

My 80D's role is secure for use with the 100-400. The SL2 may be nice but can't compete for frame rate/buffer and f8 AF and 80D has the better viewfinder for BIF or DOR (dogs on run). Sorry if this is off flippy topic.

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

I hope that articulating screens stay on 6d's and nowhere else. Or that with and without is an option.

I tried one on Sony a7r and quickly learned that articulating screens do not work well in the extreme cold. LCD's stop working quickly at -40c. And in the extreme cold its no problem to lie on your belly in the snow. I would suggest that if you like Aurora shooting you don't want a articulating screen (or a mirrorless battery eater ).

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

retrofocus wrote:
Seriously?! This stuff is standard in competitive camera models since many years and barely a selling point anymore for a specific (new) camera. It is a standard IMO.

Standard in competitive camera models ... ummm, which other FF cameras have the ability to do low verticals with flip screen?

Best I know, the Sony A99 SLT and sorta kinda the Pentax K-1 are the only other FF "competitive camera models" with this feature. Several others with horizontal "tilt" only feature, but not many with fully articulating screen that allows for vertical flip.

That said, I don't think that the flip screen will be as strong as a selling point as is being suggested. BUT, I do think that Canon will be watching the response to this feature very closely to see if they are going to offer it in subsequent models of 5D series (can you say 5DsR II with fully articulated flippy).

I do think that the 6D II will be a good seller, but it will be a slow and steady seller as people get past the immense negative press it received and realize that it really is a nice camera, with the flippy being a nice bonus that you simply can't get elsewhere in a contemporary FF camera.

Imo, the flippy is very useful. That said, I didn't use it much for (shooting) a wedding last weekend, (mostly used it for reviewing). Point being that certain genre's will benefit from it vastly more than others will. Beats the heck out of the old angle finder (I wore out two of those things), that's for sure.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

Jeff Nolten wrote:
My 80D's role is secure for use with the 100-400.

Mine too (+ 1.4X TC III) ... paired with my 6D2 for other glass.

80D may also see macro duty with its maximal pixel density.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

Scott Stoness wrote:
I hope that articulating screens stay on 6d's and nowhere else. Or that with and without is an option.

I tried one on Sony a7r and quickly learned that articulating screens do not work well in the extreme cold. LCD's stop working quickly at -40c. And in the extreme cold its no problem to lie on your belly in the snow. I would suggest that if you like Aurora shooting you don't want a articulating screen (or a mirrorless battery eater ).

Probably why they won't show up on 1s, 5s, and 7s. I don't run into serious conditions too often but I'll use the 5D# in those situations.

-------------------------------------

BTW, I ordered my SL2 today. "Really honey, the SL2, 80D, 5D3 and 5D4 are the last cameras I'll ever need. Really! I'm serious this time!"

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:58 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password