Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and ...

bootster
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

I am liking the 6D Mk II for the exact same reason I liked the 70 and 80D, and the Rebel series going back as far as the T3i. I believe that the main advantage she and others had was the ability to act like she was walking down the street, and not waving a flag, like you must do when taking a picture through a traditional, rear mounted viewfinder. The advantage is substantial. I have been known to just place my 80D on a table at outings and tilt the viewfinder towards me, and take pictures just by tapping the screen, like you are just reviewing your latest images.
I have had plenty of times coming back from an event where my wife would comment on how I didn't take many pictures during the event, and I would show her the hundred or so images I had captured that were really good.

Vivian Maier had used her camera to take some really great images, and a lot of questions abound as to how she got so many great images. I would just have to point to the technique she used, and that was to have the camera down below her face, as not to arouse suspicion. I have used this technique many times, and my images doing that are generally a lot better than if you just walked around on the street with a camera, especially with a big lens, up to your eye.

Edited on Aug 04, 2017 at 09:08 PM · View previous versions

Aug 03, 2017 at 03:49 PM
Sy Sez
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

For "Nature", or any other photography, where "you" need to shoot low; they beat crawling on your belly to Compose a shot.

Aug 03, 2017 at 04:40 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

bootster wrote:
Most people don't think you are taking their picture unless you have the camera mounted to your eye, and that's a giveaway that costs you some really good clandestine shots, or get you into an uncomfortable situation in others.

I don't recall this being the majority view of photographers.

Aug 03, 2017 at 04:51 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

Clandestine shots are a very bad idea, IMO, and I've spent 35 years shooting for newspapers, wire and magazines.

But I've often wanted a flip screen for a worm's-eye-view or Hail Mary shot. It's kinds awkward with my face in the dirt or spray-and-pray overhead.

Aug 03, 2017 at 04:57 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

hotdog12 wrote:
Clandestine shots are a very bad idea, IMO...

Absolutely, from philosophical and moral viewpoints. I've never seen the point of them in any case.

Aug 03, 2017 at 05:35 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

I use the flip screen on my 80D mainly for shooting videos for my YouTube channel. Rarely use it for still photography (prefer VF). The flip screen is great since I'm often both self shooting and playing guitar: mount on tripod and flip screen it so I can see the frame while performing (avoid reflections off the guitar, stay in frame, etc.). I wouldn't buy a DSLR if it didn't have a flip screen. Wish my 6D had a flip screen...

https://www.youtube.com/c/PeterFrary/

Edited on Aug 03, 2017 at 06:04 PM · View previous versions

Aug 03, 2017 at 05:58 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

I actually used that word on purpose. The word itself just means that people don't notice you are taking pictures as much. Every time I use a word here, it is automatically taken out of context, and, as predicted, that's what's happening here. Granted the word has a nefarious use, and it USUALLY is used in that context, but that's not what I had proposed here. If you want it to, but if you use it in context, I was merely referring to pictures taken without a camera up to your face. When you are out on the street, you can take pictures of people doing their day to day things without giving yourself away. It just shows that people are eager to post about how this could be taken out of context, and sure enough, it didn't take long.

All these posts I that I expected about how I was referring to a nefarious use, would automatically be referred to Vivian Maier. The type of camera she used had the viewfinder on top of the camera, and the captures I was referring to are absolutely no different than the ones she took. No one would accuse her of doing anything wrong, but alas, I am automatically being accused of nefarious dealings, just because I chose, by design, to use that word.

So I know it will pile on, but I am taking the 5th. I am talking about the same usage as a camera that has the viewfinder on the top of the camera, and nothing that would indicate something that you wouldn't take with the camera up to your eye. You can look at Vivian's captures, and there are a lot of them that just were not able to be made with the camera held up to their eye. It is an advantage that can be used without any "trouble" like some of you automatically want to pile on about.

I realize that no matter what I say, it won't matter, but that's just the way it goes, I guess.

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:01 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

Sy Sez wrote:
For "Nature", or any other photography, where "you" need to shoot low; they beat crawling on your belly to Compose a shot.

Thank you for not jumping on a word taken out of context. That is another use of the camera's flip/tilt/touch screen. Taking shots of Mushrooms and Butterflies in clover are a lot of things I use the screen for. I'm sure you could come up with bad things to do with it, if your mind works that way, but mine doesn't so I just us it as an innocent advantage for my artistic shots with a POV you can't achieve from a standard screen camera.

Just as an example here, if I had described the use of a camera with a top viewfinder, there wouldn't be people eager to pounce on the word I chose to use. As it stands, it is just par for the course.

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:07 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

Gochugogi wrote:
I use the flip screen on my 80D mainly for shooting videos for my YouTube channel. Rarely use it for still photography (prefer VF). The flip screen is great since I'm often both self shooting and playing guitar: mount on tripod and flip screen it so I can see the frame while performing (avoid reflections off the guitar, stay in frame, etc.). I wouldn't buy a DSLR if it didn't have a flip screen. Wish my 6D had a flip screen...

https://www.youtube.com/c/PeterFrary/

My 6D does have one, it just a 6D Mk II. In all seriousness, I was waiting for this iteration of this camera for a long time, as I had been accustomed to this screen for a long time, ever since 2011 when I purchased the T3i. I had been wondering why it took so long, as my Elura camcorder had one in 2000.

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:11 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

One huge advantage I learned just the other day while practicing for the solar eclipse.

I tried to use my 5DII and it was absolutely impossible to see the LCD screen to focus due to having to bend down and look up toward direct sunlight. All I could see was the reflected bright ground below.

I didn't have my 6DII yet so I mounted up my 70D with the flip screen and it was massively easier, both on my back and eyeballs, to dial in focus and actually see what I was doing.

This is obviously not a common situation and I probably won't be doing much of this type work, but it really drove it home as to how useful these flippy screens are. I've used one for about 4 years now and it is one of the most useful features I seen on modern cameras.

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bootster
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

snapsy wrote:
I don't recall this being the majority view of photographers.

I'm sure that people always assume you are taking pictures of them just because you have a camera hanging from a strap on your neck. I would suggest to you that most people only think you are taking pictures of them if you actually put the camera up to your eye. That's exactly what most people think. Of course the word "clandestine" was immediately taken out of context here. That was not the intended use of the word, or the use of the camera. YMMV.

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:27 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

lighthound wrote:
One huge advantage I learned just the other day while practicing for the solar eclipse.

I tried to use my 5DII and it was absolutely impossible to see the LCD screen to focus due to having to bend down and look up toward direct sunlight. All I could see was the reflected bright ground below.

I didn't have my 6DII yet so I mounted up my 70D with the flip screen and it was massively easier, both on my back and eyeballs, to dial in focus and actually see what I was doing.

This is obviously not a common situation and I probably
...Show more

It's the main reason I just bought an Eos M3 for certain aspects of my work that involve being up high or down low, makes a huge difference. I tend to prefer the simpler tilting LCD rather than the fold out but either is very useful

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:28 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

dhphoto wrote:
It's the main reason I just bought an Eos M3 for certain aspects of my work that involve being up high or down low, makes a huge difference. I tend to prefer the simpler tilting LCD rather than the fold out but either is very useful

How does the flip screen work when shooting a ground level vertical pano?

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:33 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

lighthound wrote:

This is obviously not a common situation and I probably
...Show more

Once you get used to it, you'll never want to go back. I have already had posts saying that they have taken pictures for YEARS without it, and you don't need it to take good pictures. That was taken out of context, once again. When I refer to the use of the F/T/touch screen, I was referring to the fact that the 6D Mk II had the screen, and it's a joy to use. That was in a post about the 6D Mk II. I do believe that the screen is a huge attraction to the camera, and Canon is going to sell the heck out of this camera, just for the implementation of this type screen.

A lot of folks will really just buy this camera for it's great IQ, and I say that because I actually have one, and I know what I'm looking at. There are plenty of people that are used to it through the previous use of it in the other lines of camera's in Canon's lineup, and won't hesitate to get this camera once it's initial reviews come out. I have bought 5 DSLR's, and 4 of them had/have the T/F/Touch screen. I have had one film camera in my life, and it had an exposure curve graph on the back of it, covering the film door. My how things change.

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:38 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

Using my first tilt LCD screen of my A7R was an eye-opener for me - it helps me a lot especially for close-up and macro shots from a low ground position. I can simply tilt the screen into a 45 degree angle upwards and focus without looking through the viewfinder. In a few instances, I used the tilt screen the other way around pointing downwards when I had the camera sitting on a position above my head.

As raised in the comment above - only thing to improve is to have the option to be able to do it from a vertical camera position, too.

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:41 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

bootster wrote:
That was in a post about the 6D Mk II. I do believe that the screen is a huge attraction to the camera, and Canon is going to sell the heck out of this camera, just for the implementation of this type screen.

Seriously?! This stuff is standard in competitive camera models since many years and barely a selling point anymore for a specific (new) camera. It is a standard IMO.

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:44 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

retrofocus wrote:
Seriously?! This stuff is standard in competitive camera models since many years and barely a selling point anymore for a specific (new) camera. It is a standard IMO.

Canon has one model of full frame camera with a T/F/Touch screen. It is the 6D Mk II.

I was referring to all of the people who wanted a full frame camera with this option, and I don't think that my comment refers to just myself.

Edited on Aug 03, 2017 at 06:48 PM · View previous versions

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:46 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

lighthound wrote:
How does the flip screen work when shooting a ground level vertical pano?

Being in portrait orientation it's nowhere near as good as the dslr I have to agree

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:47 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

I do find uses for the flip screen, I'm not very flexible, so getting a shot composed from just the angle I want can make good use of the screen, the touch to focus or shoot is something I have yet to decide on. I have very little feeling in my fingers, so feeling a button on the camera is neigh impossible to me, but I can tap the screen quite nicely. Hand held close focus or macro shots are so much easier.

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:48 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Advantage of Tilt/Flip/ Touch screen in the 6D Mk II and others

bootster wrote:
I'm sure that people always assume you are taking pictures of them just because you have a camera hanging from a strap on your neck. I would suggest to you that most people only think you are taking pictures of them if you actually put the camera up to your eye. That's exactly what most people think. Of course the word "clandestine" was immediately taken out of context here. That was not the intended use of the word, or the use of the camera. YMMV.

I was referring to the belief that photographer's lose a lot of good portrait/street shots by using the viewfinder.

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:52 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password