Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

Evangelos Makris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

Hello,

i am thinking of making the transition from Windows to Mac for my editing.

For my office workstation, i am considering buying a Mac mini 3.0 GHz i7 with a Dell 27'' external monitor.
Shoud i go down that route, or would you suggest considering the iMac option?

Also, for editing photos on the road, i am considering a Macbook Pro (cannot decide which one). I think i need a 15.4'' one, and maybe the Late 2016 model fits the bill.

With a budget of $4000 for the Mac units, what would you choose for both office and portable work?

Kindest regards,
Evangelos

Aug 03, 2017 at 12:58 PM
story_teller
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

I have a 15" MBP connected to a 27" Mac monitor. In addition, I have a 4TB external USB3 drive for storage and another drive for back-up. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse when in the office. When I go on the road, I disconnect the monitor, hard drives and put the MBP in the computer bag or backpack.

Make sure you get a system with at least 16GB of main memory.

Maybe that will give you an option.

Aug 03, 2017 at 09:40 PM
thenoilif

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

What's your typical workflow including on the road and in-office?

What file sizes are you working with?
What sort of editing are you doing?

Aug 04, 2017 at 02:09 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

an iMac will be faster than a mini - not just the CPU, but the RAM and storage too

Apple has a refurb store - you get a warranty too

it takes about 2 weeks to get used to doing things differently

Aug 04, 2017 at 03:27 AM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

I work as a landscape astrophotographer, and the files i work on, come from a Canon 5dMIV and a modded Canon 6d. I rarely shoot and edit timelapses.

The software i primarily use: LR, PS, Autopano Giga and Capture One.
In the office i do the 95% of the work, but when i teach in-the-field workshops, i edit images for demonstration purposes or for client distribution.

Which iMac 27'' would be fast enough for my workflow?
Are the i7 ones so much faster than the i5?

Thank you so much for your time!

Aug 04, 2017 at 09:06 AM
story_teller
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

Evangelos Makris wrote:
Which iMac 27'' would be fast enough for my workflow?
Are the i7 ones so much faster than the i5?

It's hard to compare, but generally you get 10 - 20% improvement when talking about the same generation of processors. What you get really depends on your budget, but for your astrophotography I would get be tempted to get the i7, 1 TB SSD and put 32GB of memory on the machine. If you need to cut back a bit, the i5 is a good plan B.

You can also get the minimal memory and then buy additional memory from OWC at a much better price.

Aug 04, 2017 at 03:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ELinder
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

A few weeks ago I got the 4K 21.5 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i7 with the Radeon Pro 560 video option, and I love it. The smaller screen with the increased resolution is plenty large enough for my photo editing needs. The i5 does not have hyper-threading, where the i7 does. That means for those programs that take advantage of it, it's like having each core behave like 2, increasing your computing power. I also have an older retina 13 inch MacBook Pro, and again the smaller screen is good enough for editing. I'd rather have a top of the line slightly smaller machine for the same money as the base configuration of a larger machine, be it desktop or laptop.

Erich

Aug 04, 2017 at 03:39 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

are there Mac stores in greece? in the US, they have several models sitting out - if they have that there you might try putting a few images on a USB stick and testing

newer ones are faster, but the real question is the speed vs. price

Aug 04, 2017 at 06:53 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

For the Macbook, i am willing to cut in size and get the 13.3'' as it would be used less often, but for the main workstation, i am really hesitant to go smaller than 27''.
I use a Dell Ultrasharp 27'' the last two years and editing in a smaller monitor would seem a downgrade for me.

Unfortunately, not all Mac editions are sold in Greece right now, and shipping from US is risky.
Wandering aroung the BHphoto site, i realised that there are so many editions of the iMac and the Macbook that right now i suffer from paralysis by analysis

Aug 04, 2017 at 09:56 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

Mac Minis are ideal for the light user - documents and web browsing.

For post processing I'd definitely cough up a bit more for a more enjoyable experience - an iMac.

The 15" MacBook Pro are hard to beat - and offer even better value used.

Are there reputable used markets/stores in your city - or Athens?

https://locate.apple.com/gr/en/service/?pt=4&lat=37.9833333&lon=23.7333333

Aug 07, 2017 at 06:38 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

I bought a mini years ago and it was great for learning the so and apples policies. They think if you don't buy it that way it doesn't need it and they refused to modify afterwards and if you do it you void the warranty.

It diesel after being on and the fan dies and it overheated.

I bought a used mac pro5,1 the beginning of the year to replace a rt tower that the ps died in and a mice chewed the wiring up in while I was gone on an extended trip.i bought a MacBook Pro late 2011 off here in June I'm happy with both although I'm been building the cmp to the max I just ordered a nvidia gtx 1080 for it to replace the gtx680 that's a PC Card that I put in it for multiple monitors the 680 was 2 go vram the 1080 is 11gb vram I bought it for a sim.

Just remember with anything new it's and external addition as except for replacing the optical drive in the iMac no way to add second hdd, mini I had was with out optical drive but I could double ram and add second hdd but it wasn't easy compared to a laptop or pc. I removing the optical drive in the mbp and replacing the hdd with a 1 to ssd and adding a 2tb hdd where the optical was.

A mac I'd like a he it's expensive to do anything to.

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:02 AM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Joining the Mac cosmos, for office and on-the-go work?

Thank you so much for your input guys!

Kindest regards from Greece,
Evangelos

Aug 07, 2017 at 10:26 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password