New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

Seems this is out now but haven't seen many reviews. Any real world thoughts yet?

Aug 02, 2017 at 05:54 PM
twelveish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

Same. It'll probably be this one or a used Sony FE 35/2.8 somwhere down the line for me. There are two, I think, reviews linked in the old thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1486624/4#lastmessage

I found a couple of the available Youtube reviews somewhat helpful:

I also saw someone on another forum claim that their Rokinon branded lens had a plastic mount while the Samyang is reported to have a metal mount. Haven't been able to confirm though.

Aug 03, 2017 at 05:06 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

5 stars here:
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-af-35mm-f-2-8-fe-review-31097

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:43 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

Used copies of the Sony/Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 are starting to hit the $500-550 mark so for me I'd pay the $100 premium for it. At $399 the Samyang is a bit of hard sell, if it were say $299 I think it'd be a better value. Especially since some are reporting that the AF motor is a little bit noisy.

Aug 03, 2017 at 08:03 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

TMaG82 wrote:
Used copies of the Sony/Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 are starting to hit the $500-550 mark so for me I'd pay the $100 premium for it. At $399 the Samyang is a bit of hard sell, if it were say $299 I think it'd be a better value. Especially since some are reporting that the AF motor is a little bit noisy.

I picked up my Sony/Zeiss 35 2.8 for $450 shipped on the B&S boards a few months ago, just gotta be patient. And for that reason I'm fine passing on the Samyang, but would be all over an AF version of their 135mm f/2....I gotta believe they know that'd be a hit & have it currently under development.

Aug 03, 2017 at 11:07 AM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

TMaG82 wrote:

The Rokinon version is available now from some authorized retailers for $349. That makes it more tempting to me.

Aug 03, 2017 at 11:10 AM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

Best Price Optics is the US distributor for Samyang / Rokinon, they have it on eBay for $349. Agree you can get a used Sony for $475 or so. But if new they are $349 you'll see used for $225-$250 in a couple months.

I've seen the ePhotozine before. Was more hoping someone on here would have bought one and given thoughts. I expect IQ to be fine, but real shooters (not testers) sometimes have other takes on things.

Thanks regardless.

Aug 03, 2017 at 11:54 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

The Sony version of this lens, even the used one, is more expensive, but it has built a certain reputation. Although percentage-wise the difference seems to be significant but we are not talking about an excessively expensive lens to begin with. So, the questions comes down to do you want to gamble to save a little? In addition, you buy a lens with the intention of using it but if it is coming down to reselling it later, I bet you anything that the Sony lens will retain its value better. Just saying...

Aug 03, 2017 at 12:11 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

AGeoJO wrote:
The Sony version of this lens, even the used one, is more expensive, but it has built a certain reputation. Although percentage-wise the difference seems to be significant but we are not talking about an excessively expensive lens to begin with. So, the questions comes down to do you want to gamble to save a little? In addition, you buy a lens with the intention of using it but if it is coming down to reselling it later, I bet you anything that the Sony lens will retain its value better. Just saying...

For a 35mm 2.8 lens, the Sony is very expensive at the $800 list price.
It's not much of a gamble. Try it, if you don't find it adequate, return it.
I don't buy lenses with the consideration of resale value. They aren't an investment.

Having said that, I'll probably wait for another price drop or wait until I can get the Sony for $450 as someone else was able to do.

Aug 03, 2017 at 12:30 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

jwpstl wrote:
For a 35mm 2.8 lens, the Sony is very expensive at the $800 list price.
It's not much of a gamble. Try it, if you don't find it adequate, return it.
I don't buy lenses with the consideration of resale value. They aren't an investment.

Having said that, I'll probably wait for another price drop or wait until I can get the Sony for $450 as someone else was able to do.

I didn't refer to a brand new list price of the Sony lens. I even mentioned that even a used Sony is more expensive than the new Samyang. This lens has been out for 3 years or so. I bought mine used for the price of a new Samyang but if you still want to pay the list price for the Sony, be my guest. And, please don't lecture me about lenses not being investment.... .

Aug 03, 2017 at 12:39 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

AGeoJO wrote:
I didn't refer to a brand new list price of the Sony lens. I even mentioned that even a used Sony is more expensive than the new Samyang. This lens has been out for 3 years or so. I bought mine used for the price of a new Samyang but if you still want to pay the list price for the Sony, be my guest. And, please don't lecture me about lenses not being investment.... .

I don't pay list price for anything. You said "we are not talking about an excessively expensive lens to begin with". And it is expensive "to begin with". I'm not a fan of comparing used prices for one with new prices for another. Once the Samyang/Rokinon has been out for awhile like the Sony, the prices will drop and the Sony will still be expensive.

Lecture? Feeling persecuted? What I said was " I don't buy lenses with the consideration of resale value." I didn't say "you shouldn't" or "no one should". "I" means the person writing. If I were going to lecture you, you'd know it. Actually, I guess you wouldn't since you thought that was a lecture. Off to work.

Aug 03, 2017 at 01:17 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

jwpstl wrote:
I don't pay list price for anything. You said "we are not talking about an excessively expensive lens to begin with". And it is expensive "to begin with". I'm not a fan of comparing used prices for one with new prices for another. Once the Samyang/Rokinon has been out for awhile like the Sony, the prices will drop and the Sony will still be expensive.

Lecture? Feeling persecuted? What I said was " I don't buy lenses with the consideration of resale value." I didn't say "you shouldn't" or "no one should". "I" means the person writing. If I were going
...Show more

What I meant with "not excessively expensive to begin with" was not the original list price but a price range of a few hundreds rather than a few thousands. As far as saying about not lecturing... hm, do you see the at the end of my sentence? It doesn't look like you did or know what that implies but never mind. I am done here, too.

Aug 03, 2017 at 02:14 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

jwpstl wrote:
The Rokinon version is available now from some authorized retailers for $349. That makes it more tempting to me.

And if that doesn't do it for you, just wait. Sales will come.

Aug 05, 2017 at 03:49 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

Amazon direct had it at 319, but it was out of stock and you'd have to wait for it to ship. Neeeeaaaarrrrlllyyyy pulled that trigger.

Aug 05, 2017 at 05:03 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

Look... B&H has it for $299. In stock, too.

Aug 10, 2017 at 06:38 PM
Messier77
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

Just got mine in and tried it out...nice and sharp at f/8. Really makes me appreciate the small size and weight of the A7r ii.

Aug 10, 2017 at 07:23 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

Ended up getting the Sony for $475, so while it's nice to see this drop to $299, for the quiet AF and for maximum resale value, the Sony was worth the extra little bit for me.

Aug 10, 2017 at 08:34 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

Yep went the open box route for the Sony version.
I wonder if the Samyang has the same type of hood that the Sony has allowing use of the 40.5mm filters. I like this filter size because I rarely use filters and they take up little room.

Aug 10, 2017 at 09:48 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

Noise aside, how is the AF performance out away from center?

Aug 10, 2017 at 09:51 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Samyang 35mm f/2.8 Reviews

pdmphoto wrote:
5 stars here:
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-af-35mm-f-2-8-fe-review-31097

Yes, one would have thought that they (Ephotozine) would have reviewed the Sony 35/2.8 by now so there could be a direct comparison between the two . . .

I like my Sony, but it definitely has some shortfalls that the Samyang could potentially beat it in.

- J

Aug 10, 2017 at 09:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.