New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Winter car rental in Calgary

GroovyGeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Winter car rental in Calgary

Does anyone know of rental agencies in Calgary OTHER THAN RENT-A-WRECK who put winter tires on their vehicles? I will be there for some shooting in February next year and unfortunately my plane will land close to midnight, when R-A-W is closed (they close at 6pm and do not open till 9am the next day). I will be heading out to the Banff area as soon as I land and it seems that the airport rentals are all-weather tires.

Aug 02, 2017 at 05:56 AM
chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Winter car rental in Calgary

I think all weather tires will be fine for your drive to Banff. I've driven that stretch quite a few times and never encountered snow on the road to any degree.

Aug 02, 2017 at 01:31 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Winter car rental in Calgary

Not worried about the drive to Banff or even Ice fields, those are major road and will be maintained. Not sure about some of the secondary roads though, particularly the gravel ones. Never been there in the winter.

Aug 02, 2017 at 07:13 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Winter car rental in Calgary

GroovyGeek wrote:
Not worried about the drive to Banff or even Ice fields, those are major road and will be maintained. Not sure about some of the secondary roads though, particularly the gravel ones. Never been there in the winter.

Secondary roads will be closed for the season. Even the road up to Moraine Lake will be closed.

Suggest cross country ski into Moraine or better yet Lake O'Hara.

Walking into Jonhstone Canyon is fantastic in winter but you'll need to rent cleats for your boots.

Aug 02, 2017 at 08:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Winter car rental in Calgary

GroovyGeek wrote:
Does anyone know of rental agencies in Calgary OTHER THAN RENT-A-WRECK who put winter tires on their vehicles? I will be there for some shooting in February next year and unfortunately my plane will land close to midnight, when R-A-W is closed (they close at 6pm and do not open till 9am the next day). I will be heading out to the Banff area as soon as I land and it seems that the airport rentals are all-weather tires.

For a rental car in USA and Canada, I ALWAYS go to the site: costcotravel.com.
They have the best priced rental cars. The second driver is included. Most of rental car companies are under this site.
Also.. after you make a reservation, still you better check the prices from time to time. The prices get fluctuate and you may have much better deal at some point.

Aug 02, 2017 at 10:05 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Winter car rental in Calgary

Scott Stoness is the go-to guy for info. He's from the Calgary area. Why don't you PM him?

Aug 02, 2017 at 11:40 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Winter car rental in Calgary

Winter tires are not great for gravel roads and deep snow. They are just good at driving fast and stopping on ice roads (not deep snow). There are several factors with respect to winter - clearance (height), clearing snow, and grip. I have a jeep rubicon with standard big knobby tires and never have trouble with sliding because I drive slowly and avoid high speed travel (by using 1a rather than 1). I prefer knobby for getting through deep snow rather than stopping and sliding - its a compromise. The jeep has clearance. I don't want to be stuck at -35. Winter tires are not helpful to get unstuck because they don't throw the snow - they are just useful for not sliding at high speed.

There are very few roads around banff that are gravel and unplowed. In fact I cannot think of any in the winter. If they are not plowed you would not get into them in February because the snow would be 5' deep.

The roads on Smith Dorraine are gravel but Kananaskis is not great for landscapes because its north south and the animals will not be available. But its plowed regularly.

So my view is either - either don't worry and rent all seasons or rent a vehicle with large clearance and knobby tires - like a jeep.

That said - an excerpt on trip advisor:

-----------------------

"I have just spoken with Hertz at the YYC airport location.

The clerk confirmed that their mid-sized and full sized vehicles are now equipped with actual snow tires. She confirmed the tire type as having the mountain/snowflake logo as opposed to the M/S designation now on all seasons. (I asked twice to verify the type of tire as actual snow.)

I asked how to request these vehicles, when booking online, and was told to book first then call/send an email. A request at the counter was also possible.

As for AVIS, at YYC, I was just told that snow tires are by request, on full sized cars only and at an additional cost of $20/day."

----This may be a stale post.----

----------------------
enterprise says that they have winter tires:

https://www.enterprise.ca/en/car-rental/vehicles/ca/cars/intermediate-wintertires.html

---------------------

this article says driving force may have them

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/want-winter-tires-on-your-rental-car-good-luck-1.3951378

Aug 08, 2017 at 03:48 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Winter car rental in Calgary

I am renting with Enterprise, on the phone the CSR told me that they have winter tires on their full size SUVs but did not sound too confident. I agree that unless it is plowed I have no business being on it. I am reckless but not (quite that) stupid :-)

This past weekend I was scouting a location and lost track of time. In a rush not to miss the sunset I was doing something like 40-50 mph on an AZ dirt road. The monsoon rains had carved beautiful channels perpendicular to the road, and on one of them I went airborne. Not Strarsky & Hutch type airborne, but airborne nonetheless. When the Jeep landed I had torn a harness from the undercarriage and was staring that the ABS and traction control lights permanently on, and the Jeep fish-tailing at most turns when above 20 mph. Cost me a pretty penny to repair, but at least the images that I was scouting for was semi-decent
http://www.lghtbx.com/u/groovygeek/0BxMbtrAZYEMod1JWQklGS04zUjg/0BxMbtrAZYEMoek9LbEdBcFowRmc
http://www.lghtbx.com/u/groovygeek/0BxMbtrAZYEMod1JWQklGS04zUjg/0BxMbtrAZYEMoMWJDbHpxYXZxcFU

Aug 21, 2017 at 06:14 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password