Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Adorama selling used equipment as new?

Mike Trutt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adorama selling used equipment as new?

Hi, I'm new to this Forum, and I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I googled this question, and found a discussion on Fred Miranda from several years ago. That topic is now closed, so I'm asking the question anew:

Have other people been receiving "new" gear from Adorama with obvious signs of wear and tear?

I like to give Adorama my business, but have had a couple of instances recently where they seem to be selling me used gear, and I'm wondering whether this is a common experience for others?

A few weeks ago, I bought a fairly expensive studio strobe and found that all the internal packaging was unsealed, and there was a some grease and scuff marks and obvious abrasion around where the battery pack slides into the unit.

I went back to the store to return it, and the kid working there pulled another one off the shelf and it looked very similar...equally scuffed. He said, "Hmmm...I guess they all look like that." I wasn't sure how to handle it, so I kept the light, but I wonder about how much mileage is on the bulb, etc.

Just today, I received a "new" Avenger C-stand from them, and saw that the little rubber cap looks like it was chewed by a rottweiler, and then smeared with mud. I'd post a photo, but I think I need different privileges to do that.

Anyone else experiencing similar?

Thanks,
Mike

Edited on Aug 02, 2017 at 08:48 AM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2017 at 12:08 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adorama selling used equipment as new?

Mike Trutt wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this Forum, and I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I googled this question, and found a discussion on Fred Miranda from several years ago. That topic is now closed, so I'm asking the question anew:

Have other people been receiving "new" gear from Adorama with obvious signs of wear and tear?

I like to give Adorama my business, but have had a couple of instances recently where they seem to be selling me used gear, and I'm wondering whether this is a common experience for others?

A few weeks ago, I bought a
...Show more

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Mike - and I apologise that you have had cause for concern regarding purchases from Adorama.

Our 'used' inventory is warehoused quite separately from new, and customer returns are sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment or sold as 'open box'. Errors can of course occur in any fast-paced fulfilment environment, but without additional details I cannot explain how this might occur several times over to a single customer.
Can you please email me: [email protected] with your order number, and this will have my immediate attention.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera

Aug 02, 2017 at 04:17 AM
Mike Trutt

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adorama selling used equipment as new?

Helen,
Thank you for the rapid, personal response. I will forward to you what I've already written to customer support (no response yet).

To be clear, I'm not trying to publicly attack Adorama; there are a few things I really like about the store, and I prefer to use them when possible. I'm just a little perplexed by this situation.

Mike

Aug 02, 2017 at 08:41 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adorama selling used equipment as new?

Helen is top notch. If there's a way to make it right or a problem that exists, Helen will get it resolved. Trust me on that.

Aug 02, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adorama selling used equipment as new?

Mike Trutt wrote:
Helen,
Thank you for the rapid, personal response. I will forward to you what I've already written to customer support (no response yet).

To be clear, I'm not trying to publicly attack Adorama; there are a few things I really like about the store, and I prefer to use them when possible. I'm just a little perplexed by this situation.

Mike

Per my email to you; the C-stand (as you know) was not available in-store so was shipped from the warehouse. It was 'open box' as it had previously been on display; I'm grateful that you brought this to my attention as you should have been offered a $35 o/b discount, so I was glad of the opportunity to arrange this for you (or you may still return it).

I can confirm that the strobe was neither used, nor open box. All the units in stock have been opened and checked - and all look exactly the same as the one you purchased - and the one you exchanged it for!

Helen Oster
[email protected]

Aug 03, 2017 at 03:30 AM
dlap378

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adorama selling used equipment as new?

Well, looks like they still do mail used equipment as new because they just did it to me and I have proof. Unfortunately, I can’t call them today because the store is closed du to a holiday but I am flabbergasted they would have the audacity to do that. I wonder how many YouTubers beside me they have fooled sending used instead of new under warranty equipment.

Sep 19, 2018 at 07:17 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adorama selling used equipment as new?

dlap378 wrote:
Well, looks like they still do mail used equipment as new because they just did it to me and I have proof. Unfortunately, I can’t call them today because the store is closed du to a holiday but I am flabbergasted they would have the audacity to do that. I wonder how many YouTubers beside me they have fooled sending used instead of new under warranty equipment.

Deeply concerned to see this; please email me: [email protected] with your order number so I can look into it.

Sep 20, 2018 at 01:29 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.