Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Swapping out the super dive for a second hard drive in a ...

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Swapping out the super dive for a second hard drive in a late 2011 mbp

I have a MacBook Pro and it's 750 go hdd is filling up I have a 1tb SanDisk ssd and a 2 Tb hdd and wish to install both in the mbp. I remember you use to remove the optical drive and replace it with an hdd. Can you do that on this model? The stock answer from the Apple Store is we don't do mods and any mods void warranty but the warranty was up years ago and I need a hdd more than an optical drive.

Aug 02, 2017 at 02:58 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Swapping out the super dive for a second hard drive in a late 2011 mbp

Go to Macsales.com. (Macsales.com is also known as OWC.) They would have the answer.

Aug 02, 2017 at 03:05 AM
tntcorp
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Swapping out the super dive for a second hard drive in a late 2011 mbp

www.everymac.com is a good reference source to determine if your mac is upgradable. it also contained links to owc and diy videos as well..

to begin, use the search function to locate the specs of your specific macbk pro.

gd luck... :')

Aug 02, 2017 at 04:01 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Swapping out the super dive for a second hard drive in a late 2011 mbp

If it has a Superdrive, it should be possible to swap it out. I would start here: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro

I've used their guides for installing a 2nd HDD/SSD in a 13" 2011 MBP that I received from another FM member with the Superdrive already removed and the necessary replacement hardware in place. I've also used their guide to replace the Superdrive in a 27" 2010 iMac, which was a much more challenging project.

Definitely check out OWC/Macsales as they'll have the necessary kits and they also have guides, IIRC. I personally like the step by step high-res photos and written descriptions as supplied by ifixit.

Aug 02, 2017 at 09:24 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password