Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · What is the smallest possible adjustable flash that will work on an RX1?

Audii-Dudii
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is the smallest possible adjustable flash that will work on an RX1?

The built-in flash for my RX1 has just died with a loud "pop." I don't know if it's the bulb or the circuitry or

Rather than fixing it, though, I am considering replacing it with an external flash instead, because it's the lack of a built-in flash that has so far kept me from upgrading to an RX1RII. (Well, that and its cost, but where there's a will, there's a way, eh?)

If I can find a flash that is both small enough and works well enough, then upgrading is once again a possibility.

Any BTDT experience / suggestions?

Thanks!

Aug 01, 2017 at 12:36 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is the smallest possible adjustable flash that will work on an RX1?

I have the Sony HVL-F20M. I bought it for my Sony A7R II...should work on the RX1 as well. They're around $90 used or less.

Aug 01, 2017 at 01:39 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is the smallest possible adjustable flash that will work on an RX1?

tzhang4284 wrote:
I have the Sony HVL-F20M. I bought it for my Sony A7R II...should work on the RX1 as well. They're around $90 used or less.

+1

The small and light HVL-F20M is a good match for the RX1(R/R2) cameras.

Aug 01, 2017 at 07:08 PM
Audii-Dudii
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is the smallest possible adjustable flash that will work on an RX1?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was really hoping to find a flash that's physically smaller and also lighter than the HVL-F20M. And to my surprise, it appears I may well have done so!

This morning, while looking for something else in my stash of surplus camera gear, I came upon the Sigma EF-140DG flash I had used with my Sigma DP-1 nearly a decade ago. The camera is long since gone (I accidentally left it on the roof of my car and it was smashed to bits when it eventually fell off) but for reasons unknown, I still have the flash.

Well, as the photo below shows, it's certainly small and light, and when I stuck it into the RX1's hotshoe, it fired ... so far, so good.

Unfortunately, although it has a "manual" mode, there is no control over the flash power. So I have been experimenting with taping pieces of paper of varying thickness and opacity, as well as a variety of gel filters, over the top of the flash bulb to reduce its output, as I really only need it to provide a modest amount of fill-flash (basically, just enough to put catchlights in her eyes) while I'm out walking my dog.

To my surprise, I have actually managed to get it dialed-in fairly closely and expect that with a bit more experimentation, I'll end up with a satisfactory solution.

Of course, this is not something I would recommend to others (unless they, too, already have a Sigma EF-140DG flash on hand!), but it's cost me nothing but time so far and I believe it will ultimately work okay for my purposes ... who knew?!

Aug 03, 2017 at 02:07 PM
Audii-Dudii
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is the smallest possible adjustable flash that will work on an RX1?

So field trials with the hacked Sigma flash began this morning and the results are promising:

The color of the light from the flash appears to be just slightly too cool, so I'm going to experiment with warming it, either by adding a warming filter gel ahead of the paper, or by coloring the paper using an orange or yellow magic marker.

Aug 06, 2017 at 02:09 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is the smallest possible adjustable flash that will work on an RX1?

Looks like the contax TLA 140 flash! Unfortunately there really aren't many good tiny flashes out there, especially ones with manual output. I really wish there was a flash like the Sony nex 5 one with a hotshot, would be great

Aug 06, 2017 at 04:49 PM
Audii-Dudii
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is the smallest possible adjustable flash that will work on an RX1?

trogdon wrote:
Looks like the contax TLA 140 flash! Unfortunately there really aren't many good tiny flashes out there, especially ones with manual output. I really wish there was a flash like the Sony nex 5 one with a hotshot, would be great

Yes, it appears to be nearly identical to the TLA 140, except it uses AAA batteries instead of CR123s.

And I agree, it would be great if there were more truly small flashes with manual control. But there aren't, so one has to make do with those that are available...

Aug 06, 2017 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.