Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

I recently bought a Canon Pro-100 printer that came as part of a purchase with a significant rebate. I know many of you have this printer and have a vast amount of experience with it, I thought I would tap into that experience.

What type of paper do you use?

What types of paper have you tried and decided against?

Any other thoughts or comments that you might have about paper, ink or using the printer would be appreciated.

I found a YouTube video that talked about setting up the printer and while most of it I had already done, there were some things such as the Canon Print Studio Pro (CPSP) plugin for PS that I wasnt aware of and was able to download it and get it installed. On the video there was a comparison between the CPSP ICC and the native PS ICC that looked to be a bit more cumbersome to use. The CPSP looks like the way to go.

What is everyone else using that has a Canon Pro-100 to print from?

As always, thank you in advance for your comments....

Aug 01, 2017 at 04:44 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

anyone?

Aug 03, 2017 at 07:20 PM
jrhoffman75
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

The advantage to Print Studio Pro is that it throws all the correct "switches" for Photoshop printing and has a simpler interface. But, if you know how to print directly from Photoshop I have never seen and advantage IMHO.

As far as paper, I have tried many different ones. If you are just starting in serious printing I recommend you stay with Canon initially. The Luster or SemiGloss papers are good general papers. If you have a very colorful image Photo Paper Pro Platinum is ideal.

I only use Canon ink. I buy it from the Canon eStore. They often run sales. I just ordered two cartridges of in for $34 and got $99 of paper for free.

Aug 04, 2017 at 01:14 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

Yes, I have tried to print direct from PS and have found as you have said that using the Canon Layout as well as the Canon Print Studio Pro Plugin 's are easier for to control for the printer. They take some getting used to.....

Thank you for your comments!

jrhoffman75 wrote:
The advantage to Print Studio Pro is that it throws all the correct "switches" for Photoshop printing and has a simpler interface. But, if you know how to print directly from Photoshop I have never seen and advantage IMHO.

As far as paper, I have tried many different ones. If you are just starting in serious printing I recommend you stay with Canon initially. The Luster or SemiGloss papers are good general papers. If you have a very colorful image Photo Paper Pro Platinum is ideal.

I only use Canon ink. I buy it from the Canon eStore. They often
...Show more

Aug 04, 2017 at 01:31 AM
nmguy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

As far as the choice of paper, typically when someone prints they have a look in mind for the final product. Could you be more specific on the look you are after? That would probably let people know your intent and give more targeted answers. What's your favorite paper is kind of analogous to asking what's your favorite recipe, mine is an ice cream recipe, you may have higher regard for your cholesterol.

If you're not familiar with papers, there are several companies that have paper sampler packs available at reasonable prices. Try some gloss, semi-gloss, baryta, metallic, matt/fine art matt (or others) on some photos you'd like to print. Each of these paper types have an impact on the photo.
Give a little additional feedback on what tickles your fancy and you will probably get some constructive feedback.

thx,
Glenn

Aug 05, 2017 at 02:03 AM
Buckmaster

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

I have used the Canon's Luster Pro, Premium Matt, Photo Plus semi-gloss, all with great results.
I have used Red River's Artic Polar Satin, Ultra Pro Satin 4 and San Gabriel 2. I like the San Gabriel 2 the best, so far with the Artic Polar a close second.. The Canon Luster works well also.. I recommend trying the Red River's Sampler pack(2 sheets of each variety).

Aug 05, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

nmguy wrote:
As far as the choice of paper, typically when someone prints they have a look in mind for the final product. Could you be more specific on the look you are after? That would probably let people know your intent and give more targeted answers. What's your favorite paper is kind of analogous to asking what's your favorite recipe, mine is an ice cream recipe, you may have higher regard for your cholesterol.

If you're not familiar with papers, there are several companies that have paper sampler packs available at reasonable prices. Try some gloss, semi-gloss, baryta, metallic, matt/fine art matt
...Show more

to be honest....I hadnt thought about the "look" but rather just printing....I tried the Canon sampler pack and except for the matt there was just slight variances that I could see and felt that any of then would be fine.....when I bought the printer I got a pack of 50 sheets and then I bought some spare ink and got a bunch more ink...probably close to a lifetime supply!

Aug 05, 2017 at 01:57 PM
luigi645
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

I've had good fortune with the Canon papers and the special they have going through the 13th is a great deal if you like the Semi Gloss version! I have a few Grandsons who love showing their photos so it's a particularly good value to me!

Aug 05, 2017 at 02:37 PM
nmguy

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

If you don't have a preferred look, satin, semi-gloss or gloss are the most forgiving print papers for the majority of photos. As you master them and find preferences you can expand from there with a bit of experience under your belt. Canon papers seem to be pretty good. I use quite a bit of paper from Red River Paper as well, pretty good quality at a reasonable price.

thx,
Glenn

Aug 06, 2017 at 02:45 AM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

I second the Redriver sampler pack,it has a good wide selection of almost all of there papers-2 sheets each,
Make sure you download their profiles & media settings
I have the Palo duro Etching ,coming in,and the San Gabriel Baryta.

Good luck,
Mike

Sep 03, 2017 at 08:26 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Printing photos with a Canon Pro-100, What paper do you use?

I love my Canon Pixma 100 and have tried the Canon paper that came with it. I wasn't too impressed but have loved the Arches Infinity Watercolor Paper for my portfolios and prints I've hung in my home and studio. The 240gram paper is the favorite and they also make a 300gram if I remember correctly.

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:47 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password