New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

SD cards go through washer dryer

BeachbumDave

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SD cards go through washer dryer

I keep a couple of spare SD cards in my shirt pocket when out shooting. So I forgot to remove them and my wife washed and dried the shirt with the cards still in the pocket and amazingly the cards still work. Its been a week since the wash and I wonder if I can put the SD cards back into my workflow or are they a defect waiting to happen and should I throw them away?

David

Aug 01, 2017 at 03:19 PM
iazybandit
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SD cards go through washer dryer

I took pics of my daughter when she was born at the hospital. Used the cards a few times and never transferred them to my computer. I thought I lost the card and would never have those images. (kicking myself for it). A few months later, I found it outside my house. It was drenched in the rain and under snow until it melted and I was able to retrieve all the images and I'm still using it to this day with no problem.

Long story short, you can continue using it for non-important stuff if you're not comfortable or trash it.

Aug 01, 2017 at 06:41 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SD cards go through washer dryer

I've had a CF card go through the wash - and come out unscathed.

Aug 02, 2017 at 01:26 AM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SD cards go through washer dryer

Since no power supply on he cardit shouldn't hurt the card as no way to short it out except static electricity so should be good to go its electricity and water that doesn't mix well. If it's not showing ill effects after the wash and dry it should fail any sooner than normal since no moving parts.

Aug 02, 2017 at 02:01 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password