New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Cosmo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Hi I'm headed to Iceland in mid September and would like to photograph the rainbow colored hills around Landmannalaugar but could not get reservations for all the huts along the 4 day Laugavegur trail. However I do have a reservation for the Landmannalaugar hut.

How far are the rainbow hills from Landmannalaugar? Is it doable with a day hike or does it require a multi day hike to get there? 10 or 12 miles might be my limit these days for a day hike.

Thanks

Aug 01, 2017 at 02:25 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

The colourful rhyolite hills are all around the place and easily doable in a day hike insofar as getting you some good photo opportunities. If you are adept at uphill hikes, so much the better.

As for accommodation, one other possibility is to stay the night at Hrauneyjar Guesthouse and then drive to Landmannalaugar, park your car and hike. The drive from Hrauneyjar to the Landmannalaugar campsite should take no more than 90 mins. Make sure you know when it gets dark for the drive back should you choose this.

PS: The hills are colourful, yes, but don't expect a "rainbow" spectrum. Know that most of the images posted online are jacked up with contrast and saturation beyond what, in my opinion, is called for for an aesthetic rendering.

Aug 01, 2017 at 05:54 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

I hope you have several days at the hut. There is lots to explore with just day hikes. You don't need to do the entire trail, although that would be a great trip.

Aug 01, 2017 at 09:45 PM
Cosmo

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Rajan and wlpelzmann thnk you for the replies and the recommendation for the Hrauneyjar Guesthouse. Great to know that there's lots to see via day hikes. "Rainbow" was just a quick way of describing what I was looking for, I fully expect them to look like part of the natural world.

Aug 01, 2017 at 10:54 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
The colourful rhyolite hills are all around the place and easily doable in a day hike insofar as getting you some good photo opportunities. If you are adept at uphill hikes, so much the better.

As for accommodation, one other possibility is to stay the night at Hrauneyjar Guesthouse and then drive to Landmannalaugar, park your car and hike. The drive from Hrauneyjar to the Landmannalaugar campsite should take no more than 90 mins. Make sure you know when it gets dark for the drive back should you choose this.

PS: The hills are colourful, yes, but don't expect a
...Show more

Hello Rajan,

You being the most knowledgable in Iceland, I have a few questions now that I am heading back to Iceland in three weeks for 12 days. This time since it is summer time, I want to visit some of the inland area, namely Landmannalaguar.

I have two plans for that:

one - traversing the F35 from the north to the south staying overnight at Hveravellir. Hveravellir geothermal is my target for shooting.

two - after spending a night at Hella, taking the road to Landmannalaguar area. Park at the parking lot and hike for shooting Landmannalaguar and come back to my hotel at Hella.

Can you give your insight on this with logic and practicality?

Thank you!

Kee

Aug 02, 2017 at 01:26 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Hello Rajan,

You being the most knowledgable in Iceland, I have a few questions now that I am heading back to Iceland in three weeks for 12 days. This time since it is summer time, I want to visit some of the inland area, namely Landmannalaguar.

I have two plans for that:

one - traversing the F35 from the north to the south staying overnight at Hveravellir. Hveravellir geothermal is my target for shooting.

two - after spending a night at Hella, taking the road to Landmannalaguar area. Park at the parking lot and hike for shooting Landmannalaguar and come back
...Show more

Kee,

1) Take care while driving on F35 (Kj÷lur route). There will be some very rutted sections where you will have to slow down else your rental car will take a beating. The only thing about this drive is, if the conditions at Hveravellir are not atmospheric then from the photographic point of view it is a lot of wasted effort. Are you planning to be there at the edges of light? That is, very early morning. If so you may come back with some great images. Further south on this Kj÷lur route is the visually stunning area of Kerlingarfj÷ll but again, it is not something you can pop in and pop out of.

2) Doable, yes, but you will be spending a lot of time driving. Instead, book at room at the Hrauneyjar Guesthouse. That will shave off 90 minutes of driving time ONE-WAY. From Hella to get to the entrance to Landmannalei­ (F225) will take you around 75-90 mins of driving. Whereas if you stay at Hrauneyjar, you are within a stone's throw of the entry point of F208 to Landmannalaugar. If you plan to spend only one day in Landmannalaugar, take a room at Hrauneyjar for the previous night.

Aug 02, 2017 at 03:23 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Kee,

1) Take care while driving on F35 (Kj÷lur route). There will be some very rutted sections where you will have to slow down else your rental car will take a beating. The only thing about this drive is, if the conditions at Hveravellir are not atmospheric then from the photographic point of view it is a lot of wasted effort. Are you planning to be there at the edges of light? That is, very early morning. If so you may come back with some great images. Further south on this Kj÷lur route is the visually stunning area of Kerlingarfj÷ll
...Show more

Thanks for the information. Have another question as to hiking.
Between Brennisteinsalda and Blßhnj˙kur, which would be a better hike in terms of photographing?

Aug 02, 2017 at 10:08 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Thanks for the information. Have another question as to hiking.
Between Brennisteinsalda and Blßhnj˙kur, which would be a better hike in terms of photographing?

Both offer spectacular views. I have only hiked half of the Brennisteinsalda trail, but have flown over both of them for purposes of aerial photography.

Since you can see one from the other, from Blßhnj˙kur, you'll get to photograph the colourful Brennisteinsalda. Assess the two hikes and decide - my sense is that Blßhnj˙kur requires a bit more exertion. Photographically, both are rich in opportunity and the decision also will depend on your shooting style and preference for compositions. In my case, I wouldn't leave without the 24-70mm and the 100-400mm telephoto zoom (but that adds weight for the uphill hike). There's also the option to hike the loop taking in both of them.

As always, before you start out, check the weather forecast especially the wind forecast. Tell someone back at your hotel or base where you are headed as a precaution. On these hikes it can be calm one second and foggy the next and then change to a raging gale not long after. Of course, in August there will be other hikers on the main trail and it is unlikely you'll be alone, but it is not hard to take side trails and find yourself in isolated areas.

Aug 03, 2017 at 03:26 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Both offer spectacular views. I have only hiked half of the Brennisteinsalda trail, but have flown over both of them for purposes of aerial photography.

Since you can see one from the other, from Blßhnj˙kur, you'll get to photograph the colourful Brennisteinsalda. Assess the two hikes and decide - my sense is that Blßhnj˙kur requires a bit more exertion. Photographically, both are rich in opportunity and the decision also will depend on your shooting style and preference for compositions. In my case, I wouldn't leave without the 24-70mm and the 100-400mm telephoto zoom (but that adds weight for the uphill
...Show more

Again thanks Rajan for very valuable information.
Here is another question if you don't mind.
From Egilssta­ir to Hofn:
I had very scariest moments of driving the very steep gravel packed road last time. Is there a better route to take?
Thanks!

ps: Sorry Cosmo, the original poster, that I am highjacking to get some valuable information one Iceland travel.

Aug 03, 2017 at 11:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Again thanks Rajan for very valuable information.
Here is another question if you don't mind.
From Egilssta­ir to Hofn:
I had very scariest moments of driving the very steep gravel packed road last time. Is there a better route to take?
Thanks!

I suspect you took Route 1 from Egilssta­ir that goes through a beautiful mountain pass near Íxi and comes down back to the coast at Brei­dalsvÝk. Spectacular drive, but you need the right vehicle and conditions have to cooperate. In the summer, it is usually not an issue.

Instead of the former, take Route 92 from Egilssta­ir all the way to Rey­arfj÷r­ur, then just follow the route southward that hugs the fjords along the coastline. This is a sealed road all the way and an easy drive. You will join Route 1 again at Brei­dalsvÝk.

Aug 03, 2017 at 03:46 PM
Cosmo

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Thanks for keeping the thread alive. We're both getting some great information and thanks to all for sharing your inside knowledge.

Aug 04, 2017 at 02:59 AM
Cosmo

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Rajan

Thanks for all the useful information. I'd like to double check something if you don't mind. You recommended staying at the Hrauneyjar Guesthouse, but Google isn't finding anything by that name. Is it by any chance also called the Highland Center Hrauneyjar?

Aug 04, 2017 at 08:42 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Cosmo wrote:
Rajan

Thanks for all the useful information. I'd like to double check something if you don't mind. You recommended staying at the Hrauneyjar Guesthouse, but Google isn't finding anything by that name. Is it by any chance also called the Highland Center Hrauneyjar?

Cosmo,

Yes, same thing (Highland Center Hrauneyjar). Booking.com shows it.

Aug 07, 2017 at 04:43 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

A couple of tips if you choose to stay at Hrauneyjar:

1) Carry with you the right mental attitude. This place is in the Highlands, away from human habitation. Don't expect luxury digs. What you get is a room smaller than Motel 6 at a price of, say, a JW Marriott. But it is a clean room to rest your body and soul before embarking on your adventure the next morning. In my view, better than camping in soggy, windy conditions. The service can be a hit and miss, but you really are there for a night or two so not a big deal.

2) Before you drive to Hrauneyjar, stop in Selfoss and pick up your grocery supplies, not just for the night at Hrauneyjar but also for the following day in Landmannalaugar. Pre-made sandwiches, skyr, yogurt, fruit, kex, water, etc. Best if you can avoid dining at the Hrauneyjar restaurant. And you don't want to buy anything at Hrauneyjar's overpriced store.

Aug 07, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Cosmo

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Thanks sounds like the right level of creature comforts..good enough to sleep but not enough to make you linger. Definitely will stock up in Selfoss. Thanks again.

Aug 08, 2017 at 05:20 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

Cosmo wrote:
Thanks sounds like the right level of creature comforts..good enough to sleep but not enough to make you linger. Definitely will stock up in Selfoss. Thanks again.

I found good accommodation in Hella. I am paying Hella Hotel under $100 per night with breakfast. You may check it out before the rooms are all gone or price gets higher.

Aug 09, 2017 at 03:57 AM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Iceland Advice - Landmannalaugar

tag

Aug 14, 2017 at 05:13 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password