Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

deoredx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

I picked up a X100s for my Florida vacation this week. So far in 3 days I've received a half a dozen comments on my camera from complete strangers. Half of the comments were plain "I like your camera" comments. Two asked if I was shooting film. And the third asked if I was shooting a medium format (film) Fuji and started talking to me about his dark room setup. I've primarily shot Mu43 the last 4 years (E-M5, E-P5, E-M1) so it can't just be a retro style camera. I've had more random comments on my camera in 3 days than I had in 4 years with Olympus and 6 years with Nikon before that. Obviously Fuji hit the nail on the he'd with the styling of the X100 series. Anyone else get a lot of comments from strangers on their Fuji gear?

Aug 01, 2017 at 01:05 PM
chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

Nope...but then I typically don't shoot in touristy areas.

Aug 01, 2017 at 01:30 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

deoredx wrote:
I picked up a X100s for my Florida vacation this week. So far in 3 days I've received a half a dozen comments on my camera from complete strangers. Half of the comments were plain "I like your camera" comments. Two asked if I was shooting film. And the third asked if I was shooting a medium format (film) Fuji and started talking to me about his dark room setup. I've primarily shot Mu43 the last 4 years (E-M5, E-P5, E-M1) so it can't just be a retro style camera. I've had more random comments on my camera in 3
...Show more

Do you have the all black version?

Aug 01, 2017 at 01:49 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

I just watched a video review comparing the X-Pro2 to the X-T2. The reviewer liked the XP2 because it was an understated "stealth" camera. He thought it would go unnoticed when out shooting, but folks were intrigued by it, mistaking it for a film camera. He found that the XT2 actually attracted less attention.

BTW, I held the XP2 up to my Leica M3. They are the same thickness and almost exactly the same width and height.

Aug 01, 2017 at 02:31 PM
deoredx

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

leighton w wrote:
Do you have the all black version?

No. Silver. Now I wished I had the black because the silver seems to be not very discreet.

I've not been in super touristy areas. Bass Pro. At a restaurant t. Guy who talked about medium format was on the beach. One in a grocery store. Etc.

Aug 01, 2017 at 02:43 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

chez wrote:
Nope...but then I typically don't shoot in touristy areas.

same, closest thing to happen to me was when a camera man in London spotted my X-T2 with a XM-FL 24 f/8 lens as he's never seen that lens before.
Or tourists in Florence once noticed my M240.

Years ago I saw a mom with her family at the San Diego Zoo so she was probably using a X100 or X100S.
And just over the weekend I saw a couple with a X100 series camera in Lake Louise.

Aug 01, 2017 at 03:02 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

I used to back around 2010 when the camera first was released, and it was quite unique in the sea of all black, DSLR's that otherwise were the only digital options on the market aside from the ultra expensive Leica M's

These days, with 4 versions of the X100, "retro" styled camera's from Olympus, Sony, Leica, Panasonic etc I've never found anyone to really comment in the slightest.

Its like pulling out an iPhone.... do it 10 years ago and people would be wondering what that strange non-camera looking thing your holding up is, these days, we see a million of them so it doesn't even register

I've always considered the 'hey, is that a film camera" line utter BS as well, because 1) most people these days have zero idea what film even is, and 2) even if they did remember it, WTF is so exciting and novel about seeing someone use a film camera that its worth making a comment about it to a total stranger?

Really the only thing I've done, that actually did used to attract some attention, is when the first cameras with wi-fi pairing to a phone camera out, and I would put the camera on a pole, with a wide angle lenses and use my cellphone to compose the frame.

Used it to get ultra wide, "aerial" shots of things like festivals, prior to the day of the affordable drone.

People actually would be a little intrquied by a guy walking around with a camera on a 10 feet pole, but then again, for every 1 comment probably a 1000 walked past far more concerned with where to find the beer token line.

Then there are some folks who simply will come up and start talking to you regardless of if you even have a camera, they are just that type. Our male fashion accessories, aka cameras, are just what we for some reason feel attracts the attention.

Aug 01, 2017 at 04:51 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

millsart wrote:
I've always considered the 'hey, is that a film camera" line utter BS as well, because 1) most people these days have zero idea what film even is, and 2) even if they did remember it, WTF is so exciting and novel about seeing someone use a film camera that its worth making a comment about it to a total stranger?

People often come up to me when I'm shooting with my Leica M3. Even more come up when I'm shooting with my Mamiya TLR's. They've either never seen them and are curious or remember them from film days, usually when they were children.

Most conversations are lots of fun, with folks asking good questions or sharing memories.

Aug 01, 2017 at 05:07 PM
DesertRhino
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

All the time. I've been approached by curious and complimentary strangers in local coffee shops, restaurants, bars and shopping malls with X100 and X70 cameras (all 3 have been the all black models). I regularly get asked if they are film cameras as well, by people too young to remember when there were only film cameras.

Aug 01, 2017 at 06:24 PM
Smackeral

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

Yup, they often think it's a film camera.

Aug 01, 2017 at 08:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

deoredx

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

Since I didn't get this behavior with my silver E-P5 and silver 17/1.8 which is similar in appearance and size/shape my hypothesis is the OVF makes it look a lot more film like. Subconsciously people are associating the OVF with a film camera and might not even know it.

Smackeral wrote:
Yup, they often think it's a film camera.

Aug 01, 2017 at 08:22 PM
George Orwell
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

millsart wrote:

I've always considered the 'hey, is that a film camera" line utter BS as well,

BS? I get it ALL the time when I am out shooting. Why? Because all I shoot is film. 100%. So often I have to stop, pop open my camera and load in the next roll of film. That attracts onlookers like crazy in busy areas. Hardly BS.

millsart wrote:

because 1) most people these days have zero idea what film even is,

A ridiculous assertion on your part, because anyone 30 or older sure as hell knows what film is from first hand experience. That's a huge percentage of the population.

millsart wrote:

and 2) even if they did remember it, WTF is so exciting and novel about seeing someone use a film camera that its worth making a comment about it to a total stranger?

You just noted the reason why gawkers come up and look closely at film cameras, yet you dont even realize it. Reread what you wrote above. Note the world novel. You must know what it means since you used the word correctly.

Film is certainly a novelty in today's world. Digital's quality has grown immensely in the past decade and yet there are people shooting (in my case) a Canon 1V. That looks almost like a digital camera. I was out shooting early last Saturday morning on the river front trying to get an image of a blue heron. I was talking to a man for 20 minutes or so about birds and stuff. I saw a shot I wanted to take and fired off a frame. The autowinder of my Canon 1V gave away that it was a film camera. The guy I was talking to was blown away that cameras like that are out there still being used. We talked for another 20 minutes or so and if he follows through on what he told me, he's off looking to buy a Canon film camera.

Just because you cannot recognize the interest in film and older cameras, does not mean it does not exist, only that you are blind to it.

Aug 01, 2017 at 10:26 PM
gilgabo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

I get comments all the time from a variety of people, mostly folks thinking it's a film camera. It has nothing to do with being in a tourist area. Students in the area are often interested because they're taking photography and film developing classes; and older folks are interested because it reminds them of a film camera collecting dust in storage.

Aug 02, 2017 at 02:52 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

In Asia people love Leica's and any retro looking camera. I have had fascinating conversations in the streets while grabbing shots and have to some very interesting shoots.

Aug 02, 2017 at 11:15 AM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

A co-worker asked me if my X Pro1 still works..... "Yeah, it's about 4 years old "

Aug 03, 2017 at 09:18 PM
darrellc
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

I've gotten lots of comments inquiring about my film camera with X100T, X-Pro 2 and even with the X-T2 the other day. I used to get the same with the Oly EM5. Never with Canon, Sony or Nikon, or Panasonic.

Aug 04, 2017 at 04:21 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

Just got two compliments on my X-T2 few days ago.

Aug 04, 2017 at 04:35 AM
thenoilif

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

Definitely a great marketing idea on Fuji's part to go with the retro body design on their cameras. Very hipster. Fuji's cameras also have a fairly strong resemblance to Leica to the point that a less discerning person may think they are the same.

Aug 04, 2017 at 05:53 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you get a lot of strangers commenting on your X100*?

thenoilif wrote:
Definitely a great marketing idea on Fuji's part to go with the retro body design on their cameras. Very hipster. Fuji's cameras also have a fairly strong resemblance to Leica to the point that a less discerning person may think they are the same.

Oh please don't hang the "hipster" title on the Fujis. I'm MUCH too old to be one.

Aug 04, 2017 at 09:40 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password