New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Gitzo pivoting foot creaks

la puffin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gitzo pivoting foot creaks

I've got a GM4562 with the new pivoting foot. I got it really dirty and had to flush it out with water. All good, but now it creaks with a load on it. I've been shooting MLB so it hasn't been a problem but i have some USTA matches coming up and it's not going to fly for that.

Anyone else had this problem and have a good solution to fix this? I don't know what the materials are, but it seems like some kind of composite, plastic or rubber. I don't want to gm it up or degrade the materials.

Thanks for any help.

Aug 01, 2017 at 07:42 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gitzo pivoting foot creaks

I have the same feet on my Series 4 tripod, and wouldn't hesitate to add a drop of oil. The mechanism is little a tiny ball head, inverted.

Aug 02, 2017 at 04:42 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gitzo pivoting foot creaks

clean it out. at that level (close to the ground) you better choose your dry lube carefully as its wide open there and attracts junk if you are worried about it (evidently Gitzo isn't). either way if used outdoors in a dirty environment (hard not to do) these will get stuff in them. in desperate times a little liquid soap for the time being. they can be dismantled too.

when I saw them on the Gitzo tripods 3 thoughts entered my mind:
- why did they do that?
- one step back
- can they be replaced quickly with something more appropriate for it locational use?

induro uses these too on their grand series.

it is the same thread and I suggest replacing them with the RRS mushroom feet in the appropriate size. same thread. I do use Gitzo spikes on my RRS tripods. simple, no moving parts.

do you know of any distinct advantage to using them?

Aug 02, 2017 at 02:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

la puffin
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gitzo pivoting foot creaks

sjms wrote:
clean it out. at that level (close to the ground) you better choose your dry lube carefully as its wide open there and attracts junk if you are worried about it (evidently Gitzo isn't). either way if used outdoors in a dirty environment (hard not to do) these will get stuff in them. in desperate times a little liquid soap for the time being. they can be dismantled too.

I couldn't figure out how to dismantle it. Dry or wet lube is going to attract stuff. Shooting MLB, it's not a problem. Last week at a tennis tournament - it was. If I muck it up, there' only $40 for three of them.

sjms wrote:
it is the same thread and I suggest replacing them with the RRS mushroom feet in the appropriate size. same thread. I do use Gitzo spikes on my RRS tripods. simple, no moving parts.

do you know of any distinct advantage to using them?

I think the Gitzo are more stable when shooting at greater angles. In normal usage, it feels smoother and more stable too, when shooting on concrete or hard rubber mats that I shoot very frequently on.

Aug 21, 2017 at 05:28 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gitzo pivoting foot creaks

you will note a black hard C shaped piece essentially encircling the ball area in the rubber. both ends of the C tuck into that rubber. that C acts as a lock to hold all the parts together (ball in cup). at the mid point around the C with a non sharp narrow flat tool (flat tip screwdriver) it can be pried up and the foot and ball parted from the cup. to put back together make sure the ends of the C go in first after the ball is put back in then apply pressure around the C to put in place.

your observation is interesting since these feet have been available from Gitzo for a very long time (over 15 years) as an option and only recently it has become the default part on their tripod

me, I generally find the simplest things work the best.

the RRS foot is deceivingly simple design. at any angle it maintains roughly the same contact area on all surfaces like concrete, wood right down flat. the foots curvature follows the arc of travel of the leg. when out full spread. the tripod is still supported by the feet with no other parts of the tripod itself contacting the surface and with no moving parts.

X20    7mm    f/8.0    2s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:32 AM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gitzo pivoting foot creaks

sjms wrote:
you will note a black hard C shaped piece essentially encircling the ball area in the rubber. both ends of the C tuck into that rubber. that C acts as a lock to hold all the parts together (ball in cup). at the mid point around the C with a non sharp narrow flat tool (flat tip screwdriver) it can be pried up and the foot and ball parted from the cup. to put back together make sure the ends of the C go in first after the ball is put back in then apply pressure around the C to
...Show more

Great - thank you! I've got three games to shoot through Wednesday but will give it a shot after that.

sjms wrote:
your observation is interesting since these feet have been available from Gitzo for a very long time (over 15 years) as an option and only recently it has become the default part on their tripod.

I've tried the mushroom type and after about 60 games this season, this design works best for the photo wells at the stadium I'm shooting in. Gitzo must like the design better too if they changed after so long. Of course it's not for dirt fields

Aug 21, 2017 at 07:48 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password