FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Contax G 45 vs RX1?

Mathieu18
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Contax G 45 vs RX1?

Since I have a lot of Contax G shooters here... what's the consensus on the 21/2.8? I know it'll need another PCX (looks like same 1500mm?). But with that filter how does it compare to other good wide primes? I'm sure it isn't Loxia level, but is it even relevant?

Aug 06, 2017 at 03:01 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Contax G 45 vs RX1?

Mathieu18 wrote:
Since I have a lot of Contax G shooters here... what's the consensus on the 21/2.8? I know it'll need another PCX (looks like same 1500mm?). But with that filter how does it compare to other good wide primes? I'm sure it isn't Loxia level, but is it even relevant?

it's no loxia, but with the pcx filter it's better than any pre-2000 21mm (or wider) lens except the c/y 21/2.8. it blows away the competition in tiny 21mm lenses (OM 21s and cv 21/4).

the copy i've been using is slightly decentered but still a great performer for my purposes. here's a few samples on a stock a7 with the pcx filter:

close up, i believe at f/5.6:

full sized

medium distance at f/2.8:

full sized f/2.8
full sized f/5.6
full sized f/11

keep in mind this copy is decentered, so presumably a perfect copy would be better...

Aug 06, 2017 at 05:58 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Contax G 45 vs RX1?

I had one, now in the very capable hands of FMer wfrank, and he posts glorious pictures from it. It is the best of the bunch IMHO, and that is saying something, but I have no idea if it can be fully corrected.

Aug 06, 2017 at 06:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Contax G 45 vs RX1?

i forgot to add it's a terrible lens, people definitely shouldn't start buying them up and raising the price until i find a better copy...

Aug 06, 2017 at 06:35 PM
genji
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Contax G 45 vs RX1?

So, although the ordering process was somewhat convoluted, I've successfully ordered an Opto-Sigma SLB-50-1500PM and I needn't have turned my fax machine on. I received an email message from the Japanese head office informing me that the local Australian distributor would be contacting me, which they did. I just paid by credit card and now have to wait "about 4-6 weeks lead time for now (though actual turn-around time tends to be shorter than this)" for it to be delivered.

Aug 09, 2017 at 01:03 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Contax G 45 vs RX1?

The g21 has been my favorite item of gear this entire year (and I buy/sell too much stuff).

It's absolutely fabulous rendering, size and spec wise with very good IQ, though some of the new gen of WA have surpassed it. Despite having a Nikon 20 1.8 and FE 16-35, I have found myself using the g21 nearly exclusively. I sold my Loxia 21 to get it--haven't looked back. I just made a massive print (53x80 inches) and it looked terrific.

And it makes for a perfect backpacking/hiking kit. I carry a 21/35/85 kit. My copy is decentered--same one as from sebboh''s, but I might purchase a second I like it so much. I use it on a stock A7rii with a pcx filter.

Aug 10, 2017 at 09:33 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password