New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

My leap of faith to Fuji, Now I need lenses

lawa222
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · My leap of faith to Fuji, Now I need lenses

I'd probably add the 16/1.4 or 10-24 to your 35/2 and 100-400 and call it a day.

At around the same price as the 16, the 10-24 is really spectacular for an ultrawide zoom. If you want to prioritize mobility and environmental portraits, you probably want the 16 (like for school photos). If you're more into the classic, golden hour landscapes, then the 10-24 is probably better (hiking solo in Aspen & Idaho). Both will work for either, but each will be better at one or other. I'd have a hard time justifying paying for both.

One last thing: I personally wouldn't use a ultra-wide zoom much in Minnesota because flatter and forested landscapes tend to look better at less extreme focal lengths.

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:40 PM
Alanu
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · My leap of faith to Fuji, Now I need lenses

In the fuji world I think it's imperative to own a 10-24mm

If your shooting year book photos with strobes or even natural light the 18-55 f/2.8-4.0 can provide you really nice image quality. No need to even buy a 16-55 f/2.8 for that type of application.

If your a lover of 24mm or 35mm FOV the next lens on your shortlist would be either an amazing 16mm f/1.4 or 23mm f/1.4. If you want smaller form factor like your current 35 f/2 you may consider the other f/2 primes that are available. These f/2 newer primes (with the exception of the 18mmf/2) are the newer generation fast focusing primes.

The 55-200 would be a nice longer zoom but it's not the greatest in AF speed. However for good reach at a decent price that image quality is not bad and extremely sharp. One thing to note is the bokeh on that zoom is "OK" but nothing to brag about. You'll get much nicer bokeh from the much more expensive 50-140 but that lens is not going to really meet your needs for birds/wildlife.

Have fun with your fuji. I shoot Canon but I really appreciate my fuji system too!

Aug 09, 2017 at 12:40 AM
ofafeather

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · My leap of faith to Fuji, Now I need lenses

I recently started with Fuji from Canon and haven't looked back. Everyone else has really covered the important stuff but a couple of things to consider:

1) as a teacher, if you haven't already done so, sign up for an EDU account at B&H. You can get some killer prices that way. Often $100-200 off or more on the lenses they offer discounts on. I just ordered the 10-24 for $750 with EDU pricing and I got good deals on the 23/2, 55-200 and 18-135. All my other lenses I bought used.
2) some of the inexpensive lenses are really great, including the 18-55 kit lens which you can buy fairly cheaply. People buy the kit and sell the lens because the kit discount is so good. It's worth owning because it's relatively small and light and has OIS. It's also relatively fast, just not constant aperture. It is the same filter size as the 14, which is a great lens! They make a good pair and would be a relatively inexpensive place to start as you work out what you need vs want.
3) there are no wrong answers and there is a strong resale market so you can experiment with little risk to finance.
4) I'm not much of a MF lens person because I don't have the experience but I have read a LOT about people that love using vintage MF lenses on the Fuji system. You can get great glass inexpensivley and the size of the Fuji bodies seems to work well. That might be an option for a portrait lens where you don't need lightning focus speed.

Good luck and have fun no matter what you decide.

Aug 09, 2017 at 01:35 AM
Butchdog
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · My leap of faith to Fuji, Now I need lenses

Again I want to thank all you kind folks for your responses. I've read each one several times and appreciate the insight you have added in my venture, or maybe adventure, into Fujifilm. I've enjoyed reading about other photographers who have abandoned other systems for Fujifilm.

After purchasing the X-T2 I've added the 35 f2, 16 1.4, and the 100-400 with 1.4 extender. I've played around with the camera and, although the controls feel very intuitive, I have a lot to learn.

So far I'm thrilled with the new system and look forward to putting it all to use.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:24 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password