New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Dancer in the Park

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dancer in the Park

Seems like I've been photographing more dancers than ever this year. And that always makes me happy.

Here's one of Miranda in the park. Comments always welcome.

Jul 31, 2017 at 05:41 PM
bwalwork
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dancer in the Park

Nice image. I'm a fan of tight crops, but in this case I think leaving the trail and the trees in the shot adds interesting elements.

Personally, I'd try to bring the highlights in the background down a bit. The bright white line is distracting to me.

I always enjoy seeing your images. I'm envious, as I'd love to photograph dancers, but live in a smaller community where the opportunities for this are rare.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:57 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dancer in the Park

Agree with bwalwork. The dancer without the context would really have reduced this photo's beauty. Unfortunately in this ex mining town, the only dancing goes on at The Hut. Smokey. Dark. Loud. Shuffling.

I'm envious.

Aug 01, 2017 at 01:44 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dancer in the Park

This would be a fine picture even without the dancer. Good work, Ron.

Aug 01, 2017 at 11:29 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dancer in the Park

bwalwork wrote:
Nice image. I'm a fan of tight crops, but in this case I think leaving the trail and the trees in the shot adds interesting elements.

Personally, I'd try to bring the highlights in the background down a bit. The bright white line is distracting to me.

I always enjoy seeing your images. I'm envious, as I'd love to photograph dancers, but live in a smaller community where the opportunities for this are rare.

Thanks so much! I know you don't know, as it's just an obscure visual element, but the white line you're referring to (I think) is a river.

I am fortunate about getting to do a lot of work with dancers.

Aug 01, 2017 at 02:02 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dancer in the Park

OntheRez wrote:
Agree with bwalwork. The dancer without the context would really have reduced this photo's beauty. Unfortunately in this ex mining town, the only dancing goes on at The Hut. Smokey. Dark. Loud. Shuffling.

I'm envious.

Thanks! Yeah, your dance environment doesn't sound very elegant.

Build it, and they will come.

Aug 01, 2017 at 02:03 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dancer in the Park

Jim Rickards wrote:
This would be a fine picture even without the dancer. Good work, Ron.

Thanks so much, Jim!

Aug 01, 2017 at 02:03 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dancer in the Park

Beautiful shot. Love the location and lighting.

You really did a nice job with the skin tones. They really complement the greens of the background.

thanks for sharing.

Aug 01, 2017 at 03:21 PM
ml744
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dancer in the Park

Nice job (as usual, I'd say). You might want to check if your horizon wouldn't benefit from some straightening (I believe it's tilted to the right).

Aug 02, 2017 at 03:53 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dancer in the Park

If I tried to position myself like this young lady, I dont think I would be able to move for a month! Great photo!

Aug 02, 2017 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dancer in the Park

film_4ever wrote:
Beautiful shot. Love the location and lighting.

You really did a nice job with the skin tones. They really complement the greens of the background.

thanks for sharing.

Thanks a lot!

Aug 02, 2017 at 07:33 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dancer in the Park

ml744 wrote:
Nice job (as usual, I'd say). You might want to check if your horizon wouldn't benefit from some straightening (I believe it's tilted to the right).

Thanks so much! As for the comp, it's straight. The river in the background is at an angle to us, if you're basing it on that. There's basically angles on everything. Even if you shoot with the horizon in the background, unless you're shooting straight at it, there will be an angle.

It's kinda funny cuz I find that I don't usually shoot very straight in the camera. I'm straightening my comp almost every single shot. I know I did on this shot.

Aug 02, 2017 at 07:36 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dancer in the Park

Herb wrote:
If I tried to position myself like this young lady, I dont think I would be able to move for a month! Great photo!

Thanks, Herb! Sometimes I can't believe what these dancers can do. One of these days, I'll share the pic where I almost dropped my camera, I was so shocked what the dancer did: her head going one way, feet another, arms another, and I don't know how she twisted her back and neck to pull it off.

Aug 02, 2017 at 07:37 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dancer in the Park

friscoron wrote:
Thanks so much! As for the comp, it's straight. The river in the background is at an angle to us, if you're basing it on that. There's basically angles on everything. Even if you shoot with the horizon in the background, unless you're shooting straight at it, there will be an angle.

It's kinda funny cuz I find that I don't usually shoot very straight in the camera. I'm straightening my comp almost every single shot. I know I did on this shot.

Ron,

I think if you look at the tree trunks on the LHS of the photo, the side of the trunks nearest to the model, do not appear vertical in the image. The combination of the non-vertical tree trunks and the sloping river in the back give the impression that the image is rotated clockwise just a smidge. (However, the trees directly behind the model appear perfectly vertical, and if you rotated the image counter-clockwise, then those trees would look wonky.)

I'm not saying that it "IS" rotated (i.e., not level), but the image does look that way on initial inspection.

Aug 02, 2017 at 08:55 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dancer in the Park

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Lots of images look off-kilter, and sometimes they are and sometimes they're not, but they give that impression and it's troubling for the viewer. I totally get that. I'm a bit of a freak in ensuring the image is straight the way it is supposed to be, not the way it appears to be.

Aug 03, 2017 at 05:24 AM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dancer in the Park

Great picture!!!!!
Thank you!

Aug 03, 2017 at 01:35 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dancer in the Park