Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Is there a better system to replace Manfrotto 410PL QR pl...

bootster
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is there a better system to replace Manfrotto 410PL QR plates?

I am looking to get two extra plates for my Manfrotto 808RC4 head. I was wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get the 410PL plares from B&H, or is there a smarter way to do it? They are $15 at B&H. Thanks.

Jul 31, 2017 at 01:35 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is there a better system to replace Manfrotto 410PL QR plates?

I started to loathe the RC2 and RC4 systems and swapped out my Manfrotto tripod and monopod clamps for ones similar to these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60mm-QR-Quick-Release-Clamp-Adapter-Plate-For-Tripod-Ball-Head-Arca-Compatible-/181169333870?hash=item2a2e88a66e:g:tg0AAMXQhpdR08Qf

So that I could use these:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=PU-60+arca+swiss+plate&_sop=15

It is a simple conversion.

Jul 31, 2017 at 03:21 AM
bootster
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is there a better system to replace Manfrotto 410PL QR plates?

Thanks for the information. I have a Benro B4 head that has the same looking system, except for the size. It is 70mm, not 60mm like the one you show. I definetely like that simpler system better than the bulky plate on the Manfrotto head, seeing as I like the safety system on the Benro. I guess the wisest thing to do now would be to replace my plate system to a PU 70 with the same style clamp. That would mean I can be compatible with the Benro tripod head system. I actually took the Benro Ballhead off of the Benro TMA-48CL tripod to put on the Manfrotto 055X-PROB, and put the Manfrotto 808-RC4 head on the Benro tripod.

Now I can just mount the simpler plates on all of the lenses I use with tripods and never have to keep switching them, or having to buy the expensive, bulky 410PL plates and swithching them around all of the time.

Good call, I like this idea, and it would turn it into one system for the two heads. Thanks for the heads up.

Jul 31, 2017 at 04:40 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is there a better system to replace Manfrotto 410PL QR plates?

I converted all my Manfrotto ball heads to arca by changing the clamps. The tricky part is the strange Manfrotto stem boss. You need an adapter or a custom clamp. For video heads I simply mounted an arca clamp on the 500PLONG plate: can still slide for balance but allows arca plates.

I haven't converted heads with the huge RC4 plates but I assume you'll have to mount an arca clamp directly on the RC4 plate similar to how I mounted a clamp on the 500PLONG plate on my video head:

My ball head conversion:

Jul 31, 2017 at 08:58 AM
jiannazzone

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is there a better system to replace Manfrotto 410PL QR plates?

I used this adapter to mount a standard Arca Swiss style clamp to my Manfrotto ball head.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Manfrotto-Tripod-Replacement-Desmond/dp/B00H5BSIZ6

Jul 31, 2017 at 05:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is there a better system to replace Manfrotto 410PL QR plates?

bootster wrote:
I am looking to get two extra plates for my Manfrotto 808RC4 head. I was wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get the 410PL plares from B&H, or is there a smarter way to do it? They are $15 at B&H. Thanks.

Here's a thread about making simple DIY adapters by attaching A-S clamps to RC2 and RC4 plates.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1485070/1#13999277

The first photo in the "Pack this" post, directly below the post about RC2/RC4 DIY adapters, shows my 410 head with a Hejnar 410 adapter that replaces the 410 base plate (and removes the lever). It works very well.

I figure, this is the one you're looking for:

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/category-s/169.htm

Jul 31, 2017 at 05:10 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is there a better system to replace Manfrotto 410PL QR plates?

jcolwell wrote:
Here's a thread about making simple DIY adapters by attaching A-S clamps to RC2 and RC4 plates.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1485070/1#13999277

The first photo in the "Pack this" post, directly below the post about RC2/RC4 DIY adapters, shows my 410 head with a Hejnar 410 adapter that replaces the 410 base plate (and removes the lever). It works very well.

I figure, this is the one you're looking for:

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/category-s/169.htm

Those may be a bit out of my price range for now. I am currently assessing how "free" the Manfrotto tripod and head was along with my used 6D if I invest that much in my "free" tripod? I have no qualms investing good money into equipment however. That one looks like the ultimate fix, that's for sure. Thanks for the link.

Jul 31, 2017 at 05:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is there a better system to replace Manfrotto 410PL QR plates?

You're welcome.

I stuck with the Manfrotto mounts for many years (RC2, RC4, 357 slider), but plate management and head configuration control became a nightmare. Once I found the Wimberley 'A-S' clamp that fits the stem on my Manfrotto 468MG head, I took the leap and converted everything to A-S clamps and plates. I used the RC4 DIY adapter (A-S clamp on RC4-plate) for a few years, until the Hejnar 410 adapter hit the scene, and now it's all legit (i.e. everything works together, according to A-S). Of course, the RRS, Wimberley, and Arca-Swiss stuff I've bought since that time all come "fitted with", and so it all gets easier. Less expensive, not so much.

I still use my RC2 clamps and plates for lighting and related support gizmos, but the cameras and lenses themselves are treated to a higher level of support.

Jul 31, 2017 at 06:57 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is there a better system to replace Manfrotto 410PL QR plates?

I was looking at this setup, and I was thinking that the RC4 was designed to position the load center at the center of the tripod so that it would be less likely to tip if you load it heavily and need to support the legs in some weird kind of configuration. Am I over thinking things here? Why else would they make the plate so big, and have the lens foot not centered on the plate?

I am putting a 6D Mk II, 6D, and 80D on it with a 100-400mm II fitted with a 1.4x III. That's about the heaviest thing I have so far, but I could see where a big white could want to be centered on the center of the tripod axis.

Jul 31, 2017 at 08:21 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is there a better system to replace Manfrotto 410PL QR plates?

+1 on jcolwell's recommendation about the hejnar manfrotto adapters. I got the AS adapter for my manfrotto 405 gear head and I'm very satisfied.

All hejnar's stuff is very good and basically over-built. Conversion is very simple.

Buy with confidence.

Jul 31, 2017 at 08:57 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password