Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Lens for Bald Eagle photography.

alarsen77
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens for Bald Eagle photography.

Hi so a friend of mine is going on a trip and there is going to be an opportunity for Bald Eagle photography. He currently has a Nikon D750 and the 24-120 f/4 and the sigma 12-24 art so he needs a lens to take with him for the Bald Eagle photography. He is going to rent a lens but doesn't want to rent one of the big primes due to size and also the cost. So he's thinking about one of the 150-600's either the Tamron G2 or the sigma sport. I don't know much about either lens and using them for his intended purpose but he asked if I could ask around to see what would be recommended most?

Edited on Jul 30, 2017 at 07:47 PM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2017 at 06:57 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens for Bald Eagle photography.

The G2 is a lot lighter in comparison to the Sigma Sport. So find out if that matters. Because it sounds like it might. The Sigma Sport is your sharper option. But I'd say technique & light conditions will play a bigger role than the difference you'll see between those two lenses. The Gen 2 from Tamron is a great lens. Lots of sharp examples out there! As is the Sigma Sport...

If he's concerned with size, my vote goes to the Tamron G2.

Jul 30, 2017 at 07:10 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens for Bald Eagle photography.

Possibly he is confusing the Sigma sport for the Contemporary which is the lighter of the two and quite good.

Morris

Jul 30, 2017 at 08:10 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens for Bald Eagle photography.

The Nikon 200-500 would be my pick for a situation like that.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens for Bald Eagle photography.

I use the Nikon 200-500 and love it, but the Tamron G2 and Sigma Sport are by all accounts good too. The Sigma's probably the sharpest and fastest to focus of all the options, but it's quite heavy. I'm not too familiar with the Tamron - I know it's a noticeable improvement over the pre-G2, but I don't think it matches the Sigma (though sample variation with these lenses can be dramatic, so you never know). Of course, it'll be lighter than the Sigma. (Worth noting that the Sigma weighs about as much as the Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR II.)

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.