New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Photography class handouts

Ischgl99

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photography class handouts

I am the photographer for my church and was asked to do an intro photography class for church members and the local community. I have done a lot of training in my professional life as an engineer, but have not done a photography class yet. I am self taught and have never taken an organized class and could use some suggestions for handouts that beginners would find useful. In my professional training classes, I would print out the presentation with space for note taking, but this is being done as part of a fundraising campaign to raise funds to repair the roof of our historic church, so we are trying to keep costs as low as possible.

I was thinking along the lines of some cheat sheets they could use after the class that covers things like ISO, aperture, and shutter speed for manual operation. Does the FM community have other suggestions for class handouts?

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:33 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photography class handouts

I did a search in Google Images for basic photography cheat sheets and came up with lots to choose from. Have a look, you might find something of what you are looking for.

Jul 31, 2017 at 02:20 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photography class handouts

What kind of class is this?
Is it a one-time two hour presentation, or a full 16 weeks three hours per week like a college course?

Are you planning on having the people bring their own cameras? Are you assuming DSLR's, or will their point-and-shoots or camera phones work?

Topics can be vast. From genres like landscape or people, to flash photography, to fundamentals of a camera, memory cards, etc. etc. etc... Ughh, it can go on and on.

In my world I looked at three things when I was learning photography:

1) Fundamentals of general photography, like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance.

2) Mechanical workings of the specific camera I was using, like where are the controls, what does what? What are different lenses, why is one lens $100 while what appears to be the same is $2,000 Manuals and on-line YouTube videos are great. What is typical photography equipment (tripods, etc.)

3) Books on location. Like where to go, what's the best time, etc. etc...

I would suggest buying a few easy to read books, like Scott Kelby's "The Digital Photography Book" or Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure." Those will give YOU an idea as to how they teach (from chapter one forward).. I suppose they could also be used as textbooks..

Jul 31, 2017 at 02:38 PM
Ischgl99

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photography class handouts

I did a google search and did find some good cheat sheet examples, but I was looking to see if there was some sort of handout expectation for this kind of class. I was planning on emailing the presentation to the participants so that they have it after the class to refernece, but wasn't sure if just giving out a cheat sheet in addition would be enough. Do you think I should send them the presentation before the class as a pdf with a few sludes per page and note taking space to the side? I usually print out my presentation that way in my professionnal training classes so that participants can take notes on the actual presentation slides. One disadvantage of that is they can look ahead and not listen to what I am saying, so haven't decided if I want to do that yet.

Ckcarr, you pretty much reinforced exactly how I planned on doing the class. This is a three hour class for DSLRs, mirrorless, and advanced p&s cameras that have more than auto mode. I planned on having the last hour as a q&a session as well as going out to the town green and putting what was taught into practice, weather permitting. I have most of Bryan Peterson's books and have based my presentation on his chapters of Understanding Exposure. If I was wealthy, I would hand out a copy of his book to every participant, I think it is that good. I also used some of the ideas Mark Wallace has presented in his Adorama podcasts. I will have my kit there and will start with the basics of the different parts of the camera and lenses. Thanks for mentioning the difference between cheaper lenses and the high end ones, I will include that.

I am encouraging participants to bring their cameras so that they can explore the capabilities as I am describing them. I am an advocate of hands on training and want this to be as interactive as possible instead of lecturing to them.

Thank you for the feedback, it has helped to show me I am on the right track.

Aug 01, 2017 at 01:48 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password