FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Killing time

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Killing time

Around here, ceremonies start at 2p and receptions (cocktail hour) start around 6:30p.

The time in between are your typical family formals, bridal party and B&G portraits. The thing is, I don't need 3+ hours to do this in, and I'm finding my clients are looking to me for their afternoon entertainment. This is exhausting week in and week out

After 6 years it's starting wear me down, almost to the point where I'm reluctant to take on early afternoon weddings.

How are others managing these gaps of time?

Jul 30, 2017 at 08:09 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Killing time

Although it has become apparent that I have for years done the work most expect of a wedding planner on the day, This is something I don't manage.
I do tend to use the time available and just slow down If I know I'm going to be ahead.

2 Pm service would tend to be 3 to 3:30 leave the church after ceremony, talking to guests, pics. 30 Min to travel to location would be average but could be longer.
1 hr min for "formals" 30 min back to reception..... and these are more or less " Ideal times. Most receptions here want the couple back by 6:30 so they can start the show and get the ball rolling at 7. More than not, especially in summer, that tens to be a push. Most couples forget travel time and on weekends in the afternoon, that can blow out substantially.

It's also not usual for there to be any gaps. Couples here tend to plan so everything has to be kept an eye on rather than there being an excess of time. Frequently they want to go to locations which are not possible to fit in the time frame of the day and have to be pulled back to more practical ideas.

On the rare occasions there is excess time, It's often just go to the reception early where they are fed and watered. They are never that early that the place isn't ready for them and many places are happy to have them there early rather than late which screws up their food service and running program.

I'm interested to know how you entertain them or what you do?
Never even crossed my mind that they should want me to do that, much as I take for granted so much else in the running of the day.

Jul 30, 2017 at 09:33 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Killing time

Ceremonies around here are 30min tops. Most are choosing not to do a receiving line so we're easily at our first location by 3p.

Family formals are getting smaller and smaller, budgeting around 30min. Bridal party photos are straightforward. Again, 30min is plenty for posed stuff.

B&G portraits and creatives are an x-factor. Some couples are into them. Most tolerate it at best. But even an hour of these only takes me to 5p.

I can pad the timeline by going to multiple locations, but I feel like the day becomes a photo safari and I'm the tour guide.

Jul 30, 2017 at 09:53 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Killing time

> the day becomes a photo safari and I'm the tour guide

That's always been my feeling with engagement sessions.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:35 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Killing time

Tell them to spend time with their family?
A lot of our weddings are like this too.
I have been getting photos done super quick and then I just tell people to go drink and hangout with family.
Leaves me a bit of time to relax, eat, setup the photobooth etc.

Your job is not a tour guide or entertainment. Just let them know that ahead of time. If you can manage expectations all will go smoothly.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:36 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Killing time

We had a 11-hour job last weekend with both photo and video and addition to being photo safari directors, we were Uber drivers in two cars.

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:10 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Killing time

Then there's the other side. We got a new Morman temple near my house. Have booked two 2-hour 'wedding' jobs. Just shoot family groups and bride+groom around the Temple. Done at 1pm.

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:16 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Killing time

Damn I'd love to have the problem. Just about every wedding I have runs late and it is a mad scramble getting everything in.

I can't imagine ever being looked at for entertainment, people are usually super excited to speak to other members of the family they haven't seen in ages plus I'm pretty low profile anyway and the b&g are much higher!

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:35 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Killing time

And how are you using these fabulous amounts of free time to push yourself creatively?

I would kill for time line like this.

after ceremony.... i get 30-40 minutes tops to hit formals, wedding party and a few B&G.
generally i take B&G out in the dancing portion of the reception for a couple more unique images.

you look at it as a curse ... so how do you flip it.

-Mark

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:44 PM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Killing time

ZachOly wrote:
How are others managing these gaps of time?

I donīt have excess time on a wedding day, but if this would happen frequently, Iīd bring a laptop, do a quick culling session and print some pics or do a 30 second slide show.
Let the slideshow run on a beamer and bring lots of business cards. Next season is coming

Jul 31, 2017 at 05:43 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.