New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Infrared B&W & Color from Yellowstone Lake

billsamuels
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Infrared B&W & Color from Yellowstone Lake

I'm hoping to get some assistance to figure out which Infrared photo is the best of these photos. If you think a specific photo would be better if but it's better than the others, that would be fine too.

Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Infrared Photo using Canon SL1 w/ internal conversion with LifePixel SuperColor filter at 590nm.

Canon EOS REBEL SL1    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    16mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 30, 2017 at 03:10 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Infrared B&W & Color from Yellowstone Lake

Biill
Same image, different color processing, right?
First issue, and the most salient, is a matter of taste. You ask which is best? You mean aesthetically appreciated the most? Do you have a preference?
There is such enormous latitude in how you can process an IR capture and what kind of look you desire.

I prefer the first two over the last two. To me, the mixture of color elements and a gray sky and largely gray water does not sit comfortably. I do like to consider some neutral tones, or close to it, and it seems like the tree trunks might be a reasonable candidate. Whether you go there, or not, there seems to be some spill of purplish tones in the trees that feel odd in the first and bluish tones there in the second. I would try to selectively reduce those for a more integrated look among the wood elements

Scott

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:56 AM
lazlo369
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Infrared B&W & Color from Yellowstone Lake

I agree with Scott, prefer the first version the most.

Aug 02, 2017 at 02:56 PM
Henry Lydecker

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Infrared B&W & Color from Yellowstone Lake

Another vote for the first image. The second image is my next favourite, but it almost looks like a visual light image of some winter/burned out forest. Terrestrial IR imagery is really cool, but I personally prefer B&W IR stuff. Like Scott, I find the mixture of colour elements and grey sky/water to be uncomfortable.

Aug 03, 2017 at 03:57 AM
billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Infrared B&W & Color from Yellowstone Lake

sbeme wrote:
Biill
Same image, different color processing, right?

I prefer the first two over the last two. To me, the mixture of color elements and a gray sky and largely gray water does not sit comfortably. I do like to consider some neutral tones, or close to it, and it seems like the tree trunks might be a reasonable candidate. Whether you go there, or not, there seems to be some spill of purplish tones in the trees that feel odd in the first and bluish tones there in the second. I would try to selectively reduce those for a more integrated look
...Show more

Scott,
I couldn't get the trees to do anything other than either grey or pink. Usually, I can get them to turn orange, pink, red, bright white, etc., but for some reason, they were really locked into the two colors here with various shades in between.

I agree that the top two are the best of the four, but I wanted to get opinions on what people prefer given that it's IR and there might be different expectations than regular B&W.

I was surprised how easy it was to get the sky to turn blue though. Sometimes that's also a struggle.
Thanks for the comments.
Bill

Aug 03, 2017 at 06:29 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password