New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Kelby's Lightroom seminar

surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kelby's Lightroom seminar

I did attend this seminar earlier this week. I thought there might be 50 people there, but it turned out to be 300. It was thoroughly enjoyable although Kelby seemed to be full of himself. I couldn't tell if he was being serious or doin' it for laughs.

I learned enough to decide that I want to at least give LR a try. There are some things that look very good and very easy that I don't think I can do in PS, (or don't have any idea how to do).

It will take me a while to get my files in good enough order to transfer over to LR - I might as well straighten things out first. And the thought of renaming all my folders is daunting. So I will probably just start using his system and go back to older folders when I am mind numbingly bored.

Ron

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:41 PM
Dave R.
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kelby's Lightroom seminar

Kelby knows his stuff but I simply would not attend any event he was present at for the one reason you point out. He is FULL of himself. Thinks he is funny but actually is annoying, at least to me. I did have one CD a few years ago that went into the garbage can before I got anywhere close to viewing the whole thing. Wasted to much of my time with his teaching style.

Aug 01, 2017 at 10:00 AM
dclark
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kelby's Lightroom seminar

I don't know what Kelby's "system" is, but I see no reason to rename and reorganize your image files before starting to work on them in LR. Go ahead and IMPORT using ADD them in place to your LR catalog and then use LR to manage and process them. You can rename and reorganize them in LR later when your are "mind numbingly bored". Be sure to use LR to rename or move files and folders that you have added to a LR catalog, otherwise the sidecar files and links into the LR database will be broken. That can be fixed but it's a PITA.

BTW, I agree about Kelby being a bit annoying. I find Martin Evening's books to be useful.

Dave

Aug 01, 2017 at 03:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kelby's Lightroom seminar

^^ Organizing this way works for me as well. Also agree about the M. Evening books - he explains things very well.

Aug 01, 2017 at 07:17 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kelby's Lightroom seminar

Just remember to move any files you edited within LR. I made that mistake a few times early on. Imported them from the desktop, worked on them and later moved the files off my desktop to external storage using Mac finder. Oops!

Do you really need to import them all? You going to re-edit them all? I didn't. I just started importing new ones when I adopted LR. If I needed specific ones then I would import. DPP and ACR will remember your RAW edits if you use those.

I like LR's DAM for big files. Don't need to save Jpegs anymore. If you need them just open the file and export again. I still use PS and DPP for hobby shots.

It took few years and two free trials to warm up to it. I couldn't handle not being in total control of the final sharpened images like you see in PS and others before saving. After some tests with local printer I found it was pretty good.

I later learned export sharpening, resizing etc was developed for Adobe by the PixelGenius group. The late great Bruce Fraser who was basically the founder of the 3 phases of sharpening was a member of that group. I'm sure there are things like edge sharpening, etc going on we don't know about. I also found out that group worked on the Detail tab and there may be more areas as well.

Aug 02, 2017 at 05:32 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kelby's Lightroom seminar

Thanx all for the comments. I had accidentally switched drives where my images were stored, and I had a bunch of "orphan" files that were not in dated folders, (some were duplicate files that were also in the proper folders). I wanted to get everything straight before importing into LR - it's something I had meant to do anyway, but never got around to.

My plan is to import everything and convert the last few folders to his system and then add new folders to the system as they occur. I will then go back and convert older folders, (yea - right ).

Ron

Aug 02, 2017 at 12:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password