New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Radium Hot Springs photo opportunities?

Bob Altic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Radium Hot Springs photo opportunities?

Hi All,
My wife and I will be in Radium Hot Springs area for a week in mid-August and wonder if anyone has any recommendations for landscape photo opportunities. I will be able to get away for some sunrise and sunset shots if they are relatively close to Radium Hot Springs. I will not have time to hike trails, so looking for good areas that I may get some shots close to the roads. Many thanks to all, I have been through the area, but this time will have a little time to explore the beautiful scenery. Best, Bob

Jul 29, 2017 at 09:38 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Radium Hot Springs photo opportunities?

I spend a lot of time in Radium Hot Springs and my advices is:

1) Valley runs North South - as opposed to East West (Banff) which means that landscapes are not as plentiful. You won't get many spots that have lake with a sun reflected behind. By the time the son gets that high, its not as nice light. So getting a good landscape is more challenging.

That said:
1) Shooting up the lake from the south end of Columbia lake at Sunrise is okay
2) Shooting the cliffs from the highway to the south of Dry Gulch can yield some good shots.
3) Driving to the bugaboos - about 50km on a gravel road will get you some nice long shots of bugaboos
4) Drving about 50km to white swan lake will yield either nice sunrise sunsets or bear/moose.
5) Sinclair cannon water shot below the park gate is good - this is likely the best opportunity based on your post
6) drive down the gravel road to the railway and follow the rail south by foot and there are some nice river shots
7) shooting from the pull outs driving just south from Radium with a long lens west will get you some nice silhuets for sunset

If you are willing to hike:
1) Cobalt lake for sunset and hike back in dark is great
2) Conrad Kane hut is fantastic but hike back in the dark
3) Pedley pass is easy hike and would be good night shooting or walk back in dark - there is a long view of assiniboine
4) Lake of the hanging glacier is great - but a very long walk hike
5) Jumbo Glacier is a great hike - shorter but a long drive.
6) great wildflowers early morning at marble canyon (about 40 minutes up road toward banff)

If you want a modest hike/good pictures - I would hike to Pedley for sunrise.

Because of the north / south I typically stick to wildlife in Radium and Landscapes in Banff.

Wildlife:
1) moose at Whiteswan Lake
2) Bighorn early morning on the road to restreack campground
3) drive settlers road toward the magnesium mine and look for grizzlies
4) look for mountain goats just after fence ends toward animal lick
5) watch all the way from animal lick early morning to marble canyon for wolves

PM me if you want more detailed response on any place.

Scott

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:19 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Radium Hot Springs photo opportunities?

With Bob's permission I am posting a PM that fills out the details of above so I won't forget the answer if asked again:

----------------------------------

Sinclair Canyon is the small river that comes down from the hot springs to the valley as you come in from Kootenay National Park. If you turn left into the first pull out past the hut where they check your park pass (park gate) [about 50meters] there is a trail down the hill (40m elevation loss down over very brief hike). At the bottom turn right - there is a modest water fall that looks good if you stand in the water and shoot up in early light.

White Swan is a lake about 40km in from the highway. Go south to Canal flats, pass it, keep going about 10km. There is a sign for whiteswan going east. Drive about 40km past the natural outdoor hot springs (which is worth going to in the day with your bathing suite) and then keep left to Whiteswan. It is a gravel road. The moose are usually found at the west end of the lake across from the small campground early mornings.

There is an info centre in Radium hot springs just beside the main grocery store. They will have map and directions to Pedley pass. Pedley is relatively easy - maybe 400meters (1200') elevation gain over 4km. The hard part is driving there on a rough gravel road. But if you go slow its all right.

There are always bears everywhere - I have never had trouble with them. The only thing you have to do is to talk or sing when you are alone so you don't surprise them. But bear spray is relatively cheap $40cdn and easy to get at the hardware store in invermere - if you are nervous I would get some.

The magnesium mine is west on Setters road (about 15km up the kootenay highway toward banff) then just keep to the left at most turns for about 50km on a gravel road. Crossing the river. You should get a map. The critical thing is to be in logged areas (so you can see them) not get lost, and be out early, thats when you see bears -- its not critical to go to one particular spot.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:27 PM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Radium Hot Springs photo opportunities?

I'm not the original poster but many thanks for this Scott. Next month my wife and I will be traveling for the first and probably last time, up from Whitefish Montana to Canmore via Radium Hot Springs. We'll be spending 3 days in the area and our intent is to see as much of the beauty between Banff and Jasper as we can then. My wife is not a hiker so other than short hikes that I'll take we'll probably stick to the main roads.

I do have one question that may seem ridiculous. Money...Are there exchanges in the area or are US dollars accepted in stores there?

Thanks.

Aug 02, 2017 at 02:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Radium Hot Springs photo opportunities?

There are banks that will exchange money. My advice is to use credit cards and get Canadian dollars because almost everyone will accept usd but not at a favourable rate. There is bank at invermere.

Aug 03, 2017 at 11:02 AM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Radium Hot Springs photo opportunities?

Thank you for that information too Scott.

Aug 03, 2017 at 03:44 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Radium Hot Springs photo opportunities?

tag

Aug 15, 2017 at 06:23 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password