New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

bvphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

OP, if casual photography & a camera nearly as pocketable as the iPhone is your goal, may I suggest a Sony RX100 (III or IV or even an older version)? They're much more pocketable than an x100(f), although the latter is a wonderful camera.

Jul 30, 2017 at 09:13 PM
George Orwell
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

AZ Photo wrote:
I'm not sure the x100F could be regarded as "on the cheap end"

Yeah, my post was in comparison to XT-2's and XT-20's with lenses. While the X100F is cheaper than those, it's still not cheap.

Going used I would recommend the original X100. That's much less expensive and still equally as valid as a camera.

Jul 30, 2017 at 09:42 PM
campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

I may not have been clear with my question. I am inquiring about a Fuji that can be picked up at a moments notice just like a cell phone and shoot just as fast as a cell phone, but with better quality for printing.. Everyone is also forgetting the price being on the cheap end.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:36 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

Jeffrey wrote:
OP, why? Just continue using your cell phone camera. They are perfect for your needs.

I just finished shooting my nieces wedding in Cancun. She encouraged people to use their cell phones as cameras and setup some kind of app that automatically collected those photos that were taken during a given time. I am editing these hordes of images and I'm quite amazed with the quality of some. I am making a phonebook for the bride and will be using some of these iPhone photos.

I agree, just continue using the iPhone...you'd be surprised how good the images can print.

Jul 31, 2017 at 02:22 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

Definitely the X100F Just set the AF on face and eye recognition, wide mode and you have a superb camera for taking shots of your 5 month old grand daughter. The IQ is great and the AF is very fast and accurate.

I also use the Samsung S8+ alot both for videos and stills, but the X100F definitely outshines. It is the simplicity and ease of grabbing shots. This is the reason why we purchased the X100F was exactly for the same reason, where you would normally carry a smart phone but wanted great IQ.

Jul 31, 2017 at 08:56 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

charles.K wrote:
Definitely the X100F Just set the AF on face and eye recognition, wide mode and you have a superb camera for taking shots of your 5 month old grand daughter. The IQ is great and the AF is very fast and accurate.

I also use the Samsung S8+ alot both for videos and stills, but the X100F definitely outshines. It is the simplicity and ease of grabbing shots. This is the reason why we purchased the X100F was exactly for the same reason, where you would normally carry a smart phone but wanted great IQ.

Trouble is the X100F will not just fit into your pocket...you'll have to carry it explicitly, while still carrying the iPhone in your pocket. It isn't a camera that you just happen to have on you like the iPhone for those unplanned photos.

Someone mentioned the Sony RX100 cameras...those are truly pocketable and can be on you at all times...but personally I'd just continue using the phone. Print out some photos from it...you'll be surprised.

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:42 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

campy wrote:
I may not have been clear with my question. I am inquiring about a Fuji that can be picked up at a moments notice just like a cell phone and shoot just as fast as a cell phone, but with better quality for printing.. Everyone is also forgetting the price being on the cheap end.

X70.

Aug 01, 2017 at 02:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

taemo
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

have to say that I agree with those that recommend just shooting with the cell-phone especially if it will just be shared for social media or print no bigger than 8x12

BUT if you foreseeing shooting lots in low-light and want to print larger then a dedicated camera might work better for you.

IMO you don't need to go for the X100F either as the X100S or T will suffice, even the X100 will do just don't expect fast AF or great IQ past ISO1600.

Aug 01, 2017 at 03:11 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

I think the old adage "the best camera is the one you have with you" is pertinent here. Unless you're planning to keep the camera with you whenever you might need a quick photo, the cell phone may be the best approach. I recently returned from a concert tour in Europe, and although I have made the move to Fuji and wouldn't consider going back to my full-frame Canon gear for trips like this, I was amazed at some of the photos my traveling companions got with their iPhone 7 Pluses, standing next to me, taking the same shots as I did (travel photos, not performances). Especially for sharing on social media. Obviously, there were times and shots where the iPhone just wouldn't cut it, but there were also times where digging out a camera (and I love my X100S) meant missing a shot. I'm seriously considering upping my iPhone capability for times like these.

Having said this, I certainly understand the OP's desire for a quick pic that's better for printing. I can't comment on that, as I've never printed a cell phone pic (never had one I really liked well enough to print). Just my experience, for what it's worth...

Aug 02, 2017 at 05:13 PM
DesertRhino
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

The camera/phone is easily the most convenient and is often good enough, however the smart phone cameras really struggle in anything beyond good light. This, aside from any obvious manual controls or exposure modes, is my biggest gripe with spending nearly $800 on an iPhone 7+ as a camera. (Example: try shooting a toddler in front of a lit Christmas tree with an iPhone, or anything backlit etc. The cameras are still seeking middle grey and bokeh is horrendous)

I think a used x70 or x100s/t/f would yield the best results and is my choice for all of my family photographs. Not as fast=convenient as a phone, but the files are worth the extra effort and are obviously made with a more than capable camera (even in auto mode). The fill flash and skin tones alone make Fujifilm the obvious choice for me. Finally, 16mp is more than enough to crop and print 8x10s and <.

YMMV.

Best of luck with your decision.

Aug 03, 2017 at 05:23 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

The OP already has a 6D so if he is to explicitly bring a camera to take photos, why not just bring the 6D? What benefit would be in bringing the x100f...you still have to haul around the x100 with you. Can't just put it into your pocket when not needed. I just don't see any advantages of buying another camera that cannot just blend away when not in use. Even thoug the X100 us small, it still requires to be carried around with you everywhere you go. Can't just slip into your jeans pocket when not needed.

Last week I went out with a group of friends for dinner and they wanted some photos taken as we never get together so I brought along a Sony A6000 with the 35 2.8 lens, a small light setup not much larger than the X100. The camera sat on the table during dinner which was fine. After dinner we decided to go to a few pubs. Well the camera had to hang off my wrist the rest of the night. Became a pain in the ars. Hindsight, should have just used my phone to take the photos and left the camera at home.

Aug 03, 2017 at 04:46 PM
drewmey
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

This is too subjective to come up with a "true" answer, or even an educated opinion unless you actually know the OP and his/her lifestyle.

The x100 series is plenty small to fit in a jacket pocket and take with you anywhere. Those who live in Florida or California might never wear jackets. Those who live in Maine or Michigan might wear coats (heavy or light) 7 months out of the year.

The x100 series is plenty small enough to fit in a purse. Some woman are photographers who take purses with them everywhere. Some don't. Some men are even photographers who take purses/murses/satchels with them almost everywhere (I pretty much bring a Retrospective 5 everywhere except work). Some men won't carry anything that doesn't fit in their pocket.

Some people go places that require no walking when they get there. Setting an x100 down on a table when you get there is no big deal, even if you have to just carry it in your hand as you go to said place. Others often spend their day walking through a town or city they have never been to, constantly moving and exploring.

One is not "wrong" because they find a cell phone boring to shoot and prefer to bring a dedicated camera, even if it doesn't fit in their pocket. It can still "replace" their phone without being the exact same size, or without being stored in the same place. For others, they might feel the exact opposite.

An x100 could be the perfect camera for one person and absolute garbage for another because they have completely different needs, requirements, desires, lifestyle habits, etc, etc, etc.

I thought the question was more about ease of use than ease of carrying or bringing with you?

Aug 03, 2017 at 05:17 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

drewmey wrote:
This is too subjective to come up with a "true" answer, or even an educated opinion unless you actually know the OP and his/her lifestyle.

The x100 series is plenty small to fit in a jacket pocket and take with you anywhere. Those who live in Florida or California might never wear jackets. Those who live in Maine or Michigan might wear coats (heavy or light) 7 months out of the year.

The x100 series is plenty small enough to fit in a purse. Some woman are photographers who take purses with them everywhere. Some don't. Some men are even photographers
...Show more

If it's ease of use only, the OP has a 6D that can be put into fully auto mode and be just as easy if not more so to shoot than an X100 variant. My view of ease of use includes carrying the camera around.

My recommendation is still use you iPhone. Take a few images from the phone and print them out. I have and was quite surprised at the results.

Aug 03, 2017 at 08:39 PM
Alanu
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

Your better off buying a mint used fuji X-t10 Why??

The body is very small and they have adaptable lenses. High iso performance is quite good on the older generation 16MP sensor. The focus system is as good enough for a small child.

The Canon 6d is already a "smaller" mirrored dslr body but having an X-t10 or X-E2 (with new firmware) can be found at a very reasonable price. Lugging that camera even with a very good 18-55 kit lens is substantially more versatile overall instead of a fixed body/lens combo.

If you feel you wanted to expand the fuji system you have a choice with a interchangeable lens camera system. I've tried the x100 camera and it just wasn't something I cared for due to limitations of 1 lens. I'd rather lug marginally more weight and use my 16mm f/1.4 (24mm FOV) and another lens in my pocket.

Aug 05, 2017 at 05:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password