Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

Can anyone recommend a camera and lens on the cheap end that could be used to take pictures of my 5 month old grand daughter that's as easy to use as a cell phone. One that can be picked up and used as quickly as a cell phone.

Jul 29, 2017 at 02:58 PM
George Orwell
• •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

campy wrote:
Can anyone recommend a camera and lens on the cheap end that could be used to take pictures of my 5 month old grand daughter that's as easy to use as a cell phone. One that can be picked up and used as quickly as a cell phone.

X100F.

Jul 29, 2017 at 03:25 PM
gaopa
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

I agree, the X100F is a great all-purpose camera. I take mine everywhere and get great quality images. Highly recommended.

Jul 29, 2017 at 03:34 PM
PhotoTeacher
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

campy wrote:

If you plan to just post the photos online, then why not just continue with the phone camera? It sounds like you are comfortable with it. If you want to take advantage of the higher ISOs available, and the more responsive shutter, then the suggested model will work fine.

Jul 29, 2017 at 04:46 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

I sure wouldn't spend that amount of money on a camera phone replacement. I would choose between:

Used x100t
X70 (fixed 28mm equivalent lens)
X30 (28-112mm equivalent lens at f/2-2.8)

I would go for the x30 for myself, probably. Sure its a small sensor, but it is awfully useful.

Jul 29, 2017 at 05:11 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

PhotoTeacher wrote:
If you plan to just post the photos online, then why not just continue with the phone camera? It sounds like you are comfortable with it. If you want to take advantage of the higher ISOs available, and the more responsive shutter, then the suggested model will work fine.

I also have a Canon 6D but I usually don't bring it and I want to print.

Jul 29, 2017 at 05:38 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

If people think the X100 series of cameras are as easy to use as a camera phone...nope. I have the X100 and it's UI / menu system is very confusing. My phone basically is point and touch...nothing easier.

Jul 29, 2017 at 07:40 PM
George Orwell
• •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

chez wrote:
If people think the X100 series of cameras are as easy to use as a camera phone...nope. I have the X100 and it's UI / menu system is very confusing. My phone basically is point and touch...nothing easier.

You are easily confused.

The OP could leave the camera set at ISO800 (virtually no noise), leave the aperture and shutter set at A and then operate the camera one handed. Perhaps leave the flash set on.

Very very simple. I'm surprised you can't do this.

Jul 29, 2017 at 08:15 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

George Orwell wrote:
You are easily confused.

The OP could leave the camera set at ISO800 (virtually no noise), leave the aperture and shutter set at A and then operate the camera one handed. Perhaps leave the flash set on.

Very very simple. I'm surprised you can't do this.

I can...with my iPhone. Why do I need a $1,000 dedicated camera?

I'm surprised you'd buy a $1,000 camera and use it as a $50 P&S.

Jul 29, 2017 at 08:52 PM
snappu
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

If you are a beginner, I would suggest getting a zoom. Perhaps the X30 mentioned earlier or the RX100 series.

Jul 29, 2017 at 09:05 PM
George Orwell
• •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

chez wrote:
I can...with my iPhone. Why do I need a $1,000 dedicated camera?

I'm surprised you'd buy a $1,000 camera and use it as a $50 P&S.

You already have an X100, yet seem bewildered and unable to use it. Why buy a camera that is so far beyond your abilities? Seems odd.

Jul 30, 2017 at 04:48 AM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

A used X100.. (any model)
Or a used X-A1/2/3 or X-M1 with 27mm pancake, makes also a small setup.
Or the mentioned X30 or X70

Jul 30, 2017 at 06:33 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

George Orwell wrote:
You already have an X100, yet seem bewildered and unable to use it. Why buy a camera that is so far beyond your abilities? Seems odd.

I know perfectly well how to use my X100 thank you. What I'm finding odd is your suggestion to take a $1,000 camera and use it as a $50 p&s. I can understand if the OP wanted to expand his flexibility over what the iPhone provides and would use these enhanced cspsbilities of the x100, but to use a $1,000 camera in p&s mode is a dumb suggestion.

Jul 30, 2017 at 07:36 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

George Orwell wrote:

Dude, are you just an ass, or a troll, or both

He is making his point coming from the viewpoint of someone who only shoots with an iPhone. The average iPhone photographer has no idea what setting the camera to ISO800, and aperture and SS to "A" mode means.

Chez certainly knows his way around a camera as well as anyone, and is an exceptionally talented photographer, as well as a very long-standing and respected FM member

Maybe check out his body of work before making such stupid comments ??

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:16 AM
George Orwell
• •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

millsart wrote:
Dude, are you just an ass, or a troll, or both

He is making his point coming from the viewpoint of someone who only shoots with an iPhone. The average iPhone photographer has no idea what setting the camera to ISO800, and aperture and SS to "A" mode means.

Chez certainly knows his way around a camera as well as anyone, and is an exceptionally talented photographer, as well as a very long-standing and respected FM member

Maybe check out his body of work before making such stupid comments ??

The guy says that his X100 confuses him. That tells me all that I need to know. It's not rocket science. It's actually quite easy to use.

So no, he doesnt know his way around a camera, by his own words.

And I have seen this "well respected member" banned on multiple occasions.

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:14 PM
George Orwell
• •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

chez wrote:
I know perfectly well how to use my X100 thank you. What I'm finding odd is your suggestion to take a $1,000 camera and use it as a $50 p&s. I can understand if the OP wanted to expand his flexibility over what the iPhone provides and would use these enhanced cspsbilities of the x100, but to use a $1,000 camera in p&s mode is a dumb suggestion.

No you dont. You said so yourself.

The OP asked for a Fuji camera that is easy to use. The X100 is extraordinarily easy to use and has the perfect focal length the capture images of a child. No price point was given by the OP so it's up to him to make that judgement call. 99% of my children's photos were captured using an X100. Why? Because it's fast, easy and produces high quality images.

I use it as a P & S all the time and it crushes any other P & S that I have had.

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:17 PM
AZ Photo
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

No price point was given by the OP so it's up to him to make that judgement call.

I'm not sure the x100F could be regarded as "on the cheap end"

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:35 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

If your cell phone won't do, consider a nice used X-E2 that you can update to the newest firmware so it's effectively an X-E2. Add a 27mm lens. That's a very nice combo.

I know you said Fuji, but in your shoes I'd be looking at a Ricoh GR with fixed 18mm lens. It's an incredible camera, easy to use and quite portable. Mind you I'm not sure how good the Jpegs are. Not as nice as Fuji I think but still perfectly fine. Don't bother with the GRII unless price is same as GR. And check for sensor dust.

campy wrote:

Jul 30, 2017 at 02:42 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

I may have to hide my second person here at FM. This is just not the way to talk to people.

Jul 30, 2017 at 03:01 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which Fuji instead of cell phone?

OP, why? Just continue using your cell phone camera. They are perfect for your needs.

Jul 30, 2017 at 03:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.