New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Suggestion for Strong Tripod for Travel

kdrk888
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestion for Strong Tripod for Travel

Hi folks, I currently have a Gitzo GT1542T Traveler and a GT2531 Mountaineer. I also had a GT2542 Mountaineer that I just sold. I feel that the GT1542T is a bit flimsy and the GT2531 is too big for travel. I am looking for something in between that can hold a 100-400mm lens. The GT2542 Mountaineer I had was too big and heavy for travel as well. Would a Series 2 Gitzo Traveler series do it? Any suggestions (don't need to be Gitzo) will be greatly appreciated.

Douglas

Edited on Jul 29, 2017 at 03:26 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2017 at 03:06 PM
WestTexas Sky
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestion for Strong Tripod for Travel

Not sure you will find a better choice than a Gitzo 1 or 2 series. A 2 series traveler would be the 2542T you sold

You could look at RRS but there really is not much that is going to be much different (or any better) than the three tripods you have already owned.

Jul 29, 2017 at 03:17 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestion for Strong Tripod for Travel

WestTexas Sky wrote:
Not sure you will find a better choice than a Gitzo 1 or 2 series. A 2 series traveler would be the 2542T you sold

You could look at RRS but there really is not much that is going to be much different (or any better) than the three tripods you have already owned.

Thanks for the input. The GT2542 I had is not the Traveler series, it's the Mountaineer. Sorry I had GT2542T in the original post, it should be GT2542, without the T. Gitzo's naming scheme is a bit confusing.

Jul 29, 2017 at 03:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestion for Strong Tripod for Travel

the TQC-14 is a GT25xx series tripod in a GT 1 series footprint and better built. if you don't need a CP get the TFC which I converted my TQC to.

Jul 29, 2017 at 03:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

WestTexas Sky
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestion for Strong Tripod for Travel

Then you should look at the Gitzo 2 series Traveler tripod. It is maybe 1 or 2 ounces lighter and probably 5 inches shorter so smaller package.

I have the older GT1541T and like it for lightweight travel. I also use the older 1348 (3 series with four leg sections) that is super stable and if I am really photographing, is my preferred choice.

Watch to see if a 2541T shows up here or KEH. Would be a heck of a deal.

Good luck.

kdrk888 wrote:
Thanks for the input. The GT2542 I had is not the Traveler series, it's the Mountaineer. Sorry I had GT2542T in the original post, it should be GT2542, without the T. Gitzo's naming scheme is a bit confusing.

Jul 29, 2017 at 08:38 PM
kkolatat

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestion for Strong Tripod for Travel

I was in the same boat as you. I recommend the TQC-14 which I just bought a couple of months ago. I chose it over the 2545T because it has more option for leg angle. I find the additional angle useful at times. It's been pretty rock solid so far.

Aug 02, 2017 at 02:13 AM
kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestion for Strong Tripod for Travel

Thank you guys. I ended up ordering the Gitzo GT2542T, a display model. save some money.

Aug 02, 2017 at 05:16 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestion for Strong Tripod for Travel

I have the Gitzo 2531LVL which is an excellent tripod but too long when fully collapsed for air travel even with the head removed. I tried several 4-section Gitzo series 2 and series 3 tripod legs and these had significant design and build quality and QA flaws and all were returned.

The tripod I settled on was the Feisol CT-3472 which collapses to less than 22 inches in length, weighs less than 4 lbs. and supports a 66 lb. load. I can carry it onto the plane and put it cross ways into the overhead compartment of any plane.

A bonus with the Feisol legs is that they come with a first-class carry case instead of the chintzy cloth sack that Gitzo provides (Really Right Stuff does not even bother with the sack but you do get a cardboard box with their tripod legs).

Aug 14, 2017 at 09:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password