New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Bad Profiles! Bad!

pjbishop
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bad Profiles! Bad!

So strange, I have had this exact same issue with Adobe profiles with previous OSs, previous Macs. I am currently reinstalling everything after regressing the late 2015 i7 27" iMac from Sierra, where I had a serious problem that did not get solved with the the 10.12.6 update, so had drive wiped at Apple Store and El Capitan installed. I'm checking as I go, spacing out the installations of each device and app - can't yet conclude I'm out of the woods but

meanwhile I ran Spyder5Pro, calibrated and then took a look in Colorsync at the profiles. I ran the verify routine and the issue with the Adobe profiles reared its head again - same exact profiles as in days of yore. I did a repair and it fixed the two profits with missing headers but otherwise leaves 5 profiles still defective. See report. Anybody run into this?

Not concerned about the one profile that's locked, but the other four.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:00 AM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bad Profiles! Bad!

Yes I have.

I don't use those profiles yet when I run the profile test on my system those come up as the following messages:

Explanation: The ICC specification calls for a specific set of profile tags for each profile type. The profile(s) are missing one or more of these tags.

Affected Profiles:
RedBlueYelllow.icc
Smokey.icc
TealMagentaGold.icc
TotalInkPreview.icc

Suggestion: This problem is caused by errors in the profile construction software or by profile corruption. ColorThink cannot repair these profiles. They should be reconstructed from the original data.

So unless you are going to use these profiles or run into problems when using them, I am not sure I would worry about it.

Just my quick thoughts

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:50 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bad Profiles! Bad!

Thanks John. I have wondered about this for a long time, though it never seems to have caused a problem with editing, etc., but what I failed to mention in my original post was the most relevant - that this exact issue had persisted in Photoshop versions - never mind the Mac OSs - going back at least to CS4. Isn't that weird? Maybe I will get around to writing a letter to Adobe ( on actual paper to freak them out ).

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:02 AM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bad Profiles! Bad!

Sounds good yet for your own safety, when you deliver the letter to Adobe, take care not to cross the Event Horizon

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:12 AM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bad Profiles! Bad!

Seriously, some of these profiles were designed as a way to change the color characteristics of an image that could just have easily been done with a Photoshop adjustment Layer(s).

For me personally, except in rare circustances, I just use ICC profiles as part of the color management system and not mess around with them to make creative effects. Just keeps life a bit simpler for me.

Just my opinion of course.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:17 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bad Profiles! Bad!

I have no idea about their actual function, just don't like things to be un-shipshape.

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:22 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.