FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Ebook image size

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ebook image size

Hello everyone

I am new to this forum.

Today I seek advice from those who may have experience with ebook formatting. In this case I refer specifically to Kindle ebooks. But my question below refers to all ebook publishers.

I feel I am close to releasing my ebook and have a lifetime of experience dedicated to the theme that is common to my ebooks. I began my photography in 1974.

Question background:

Kindle encourages authors with images, to publish them in high resolution and up to 5 MB in size. This is because Kindle readers will view their books on a wide variety of screens.

It seems to me that 5 MB is about 4 MB larger than is necessary for the largest of screens. But I do not know.

Question: What is the minimum image file size (MB) for a large screen, before the image begins to pixilate?

Thank you much

Robert

Jul 29, 2017 at 03:18 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ebook image size

I would think Kindle with all their experiences in e-publishing would know best what is required. Why not just follow their guidelines?

Jul 29, 2017 at 07:22 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ebook image size

this is one of the rare times I will agree with chez.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:43 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ebook image size

chez wrote:
I would think Kindle with all their experiences in e-publishing would know best what is required. Why not just follow their guidelines?

Hi

Yes of course, Kindle knows best for their business.

Originally I assumed that ebook publishers would want small image file sizes.

Then I learned that Kindle wants large image files - to cover the viewing pleasures of all potential screens any viewer may own. You know it's heading that way...as it should.

As a photographer, you know there is a cost attached to the e-space requirements of images.

Someone must pay for that space. Kindle is not going to be that someone.

Following their guidelines brought me to the article in the link.

To understand more, you would probably like reading the article (scroll to header: "Stepping on the Scale")

I like to think, if you (anyone) are passionate about something, share it with the world through an ebook.

I share with you and hope someone will spot this who's already been through it, so we can all be further enlightened.

Robert

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwitjZCg5LDVAhVIHT4KHZV2DTMQFgg5MAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebookdesigner.com%2F2015%2F10%2Fpreparing-images-for-your-e-book%2F&usg=AFQjCNFkehjJNVBnqhThYIv5c4b2rwVJTQ

Jul 30, 2017 at 05:13 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.