Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Would you keep this tripod?

SCOR
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would you keep this tripod?

I have two tripods and I'm thinking of getting rid of the Gitzo, but I'm curious what others think?

My tripods are:

1) Feisol 3442 with a Markins Q3 Emille.

2) Gitzo GT3540LS with Markins Q10 and Acratech level base.

I bought the Gitzo when I had a Canon pro body and a 500mm f/4 and then 600mm f/4. Now my biggest combo is the A7RII and the FE 100-400mm GM (with 1.4x TC). I'm thinking the Gitzo may be overkill for this combo and my days of long primes are over. I have transitioned from shooting surfing and nature to focusing on landscape.

The Gitzo is a really nice set up that's hard to part with and I don't want to regret selling it, but I'm just not sure it does anything for me that the Feisol can't.

Would appreciate any thoughts folks have. Thanks.

Jul 29, 2017 at 02:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would you keep this tripod?

If the GT is too heavy to haul around when you're out taking photos, then you might as well sell it. I've been using a Feisol 3441S with 1D-series and 500/4L IS for years, and so you won't lose that capability, if you 'go long' with a rental, or something.

Jul 29, 2017 at 07:19 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would you keep this tripod?

I own a Gitzo 1325 and 1348. The new equals would be the 3532 and 3542 type models. I also own a Feisol 3401. So similar to your set up.

I would keep the Gitzo. It's in a whole other league above the Feisol.

The Feisol is an ok travel tripod, but I would not want it as an everyday with a 100-400.

No problem with having two.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:22 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would you keep this tripod?

I use the GT3530LS for landscapes. I like the solidity in the wind and at the slower shutter speeds. You will notice a difference with a 100-400. The RRS leveling bowl is a great option if you do a lot of stitching with mid and longer lenses, for example multi-row pans with a 70-200 or 100-400 on a Wimberly Sidekick.

Ironically I am more inclined to use a smaller tripod with the 100-400 II for wildlife assuming a larger lens is not also needed for the trip. The shutter speeds are usually much higher for wildlife and IS handles the intermediate speeds.

I have Q3T, but only for the short lenses when I'm also using a full Gimbal.
Frankly I'd suggest an RRS 2 series as a compromise for everything, but that will not be saving you any money.

EBH

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:20 AM
SCOR
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would you keep this tripod?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like most think there is some stability advantage to the Gitzo over the Feisol for the 100-400. That was my main question in posting this.

The RRS look great, but they are indeed pricey. Also, there is no perfect height for me in the RRS series 2 lineup. I like the 53-56" range because I can just open all the legs up and it's close to perfect height. The RRS are either too short or too long in the 4 leg models. The TVC23 is about perfect, but not compact enough when folded for fitting in a suitcase.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:41 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would you keep this tripod?

SCOR wrote:
The RRS look great, but they are indeed pricey. Also, there is no perfect height for me in the RRS series 2 lineup. I like the 53-56" range because I can just open all the legs up and it's close to perfect height. The RRS are either too short or too long in the 4 leg models. The TVC23 is about perfect, but not compact enough when folded for fitting in a suitcase.

The height range of the RRS 2 series is indeed a problem. I'd like about 2-3 more inches without the extra weight of the long 4-section version or the funky 2 series leveling base. I asked them about other tripod sizes and received a rather curt response that there will be no further development of the 2 series.

EBH

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Would you keep this tripod?

SCOR wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like most think there is some stability advantage to the Gitzo over the Feisol for the 100-400. That was my main question in posting this.

The RRS look great, but they are indeed pricey. Also, there is no perfect height for me in the RRS series 2 lineup. I like the 53-56" range because I can just open all the legs up and it's close to perfect height. The RRS are either too short or too long in the 4 leg models. The TVC23 is about perfect, but not compact enough when folded for
...Show more

when you "measure" the optimal height for your tripod do you take in account the head height that you are going to use?

a TVC-24 is 49.4" max height. a ballhead will add from 3"-4" to that. this will make to the base of your camera now 52.4" - 53.4". add the camera body eyepoint is now plus 3.25" for say a D500. this brings the grand total to ~55.65"- 56.65"

the Funky RRS leveling setup option works really well when using both a Sidekick and full gimbal. I even have the center post and it is totally rigid in place and in use. it not something you offload.

Jul 29, 2017 at 09:02 PM
SCOR
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Would you keep this tripod?

Yeah - my current tripods are 54" and 57" without anything on them. 54 is perfect once you add a ball head and camera.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:45 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Would you keep this tripod?

Gitzo GT3540LS:
Load Capacity 39.7 lbs (18 kg)
Maximum Height 57.5" (146 cm)
Weight 3.8 lbs (1.72 kg)

FEISOL CT-3442:
Load Capacity 55 lb / 24.9 kg
Maximum Working Height 54.3" / 137.9 cm
Weight 2.4 lb / 1.1 kg

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 31, 2017 at 03:25 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Would you keep this tripod?

henryp wrote:
Gitzo GT3540LS:
Weight 3.8 lbs (1.72 kg)

FEISOL CT-3442:
Weight 2.4 lb / 1.1 kg

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

We should also note that the Feisol CT-3442 maximum height of 54.3 inch is without the center column, in its "systematic mode" where the centerpost is removed and replaced with a simple platform for mounting the tripod head. Both standard and short height center columns can be optionally used with this tripod.

Jul 31, 2017 at 04:19 PM
SCOR
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Would you keep this tripod?

henryp wrote:
Gitzo GT3540LS:
Weight 3.8 lbs (1.72 kg)

FEISOL CT-3442:
Weight 2.4 lb / 1.1 kg

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Having both these tripods, I find it hard to believe the Feisol has a higher load capacity than the Gitzo.

Jul 31, 2017 at 04:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Would you keep this tripod?

isn't it though? there is capacity and then there is capacity. every marketing department has their own perception of reality. in the end its what you choose to believe.

Jul 31, 2017 at 05:47 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Would you keep this tripod?

SCOR wrote:
Having both these tripods, I find it hard to believe the Feisol has a higher load capacity than the Gitzo.

Ditto that. I have Feisol 3441T and Gitzo 1325. Feisol claims the load capacity is 44 pounds; Gitzo claims theirs is 32 pounds. I've used both tripods extensively now with Nikon D800E + Nikon 80-400mm AFS, Chamonix 045n field camera, and a 1926 Gundlach Korona 5x7 field camera with heavy brass lenses. The Gitzo held that last one just fine; the Feisol was down right scary with that load. So there is no way, no way, no way the Feisol real world load capacity is anywhere near as high as the Gitzo. Neither is it as solid when the wind begins to pick up, or for astro shots. Load capacity seems to be whatever the company says it is.

Kent in SD

Jul 31, 2017 at 05:56 PM
SCOR
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Would you keep this tripod?

For me it comes down to whether there is any difference in stability for my biggest camera/lens combo - A7RII with FE 100-400mm GM + 1.4x TC? The Feisol can easily handle it, but will the Gitzo be better for a 560mm landscape shot?

Jul 31, 2017 at 08:37 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Would you keep this tripod?

SCOR wrote:
For me it comes down to whether there is any difference in stability for my biggest camera/lens combo - A7RII with FE 100-400mm GM + 1.4x TC? The Feisol can easily handle it, but will the Gitzo be better for a 560mm landscape shot?

Or when it gets windy. OTOH, if you aren't using it, put the money into something you will use. My rule of thumb is if I haven't used something in a year & half, I'm thinking very hard about selling it.

Kent in SD

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:16 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Would you keep this tripod?

Two23 wrote:
Ditto that. I have Feisol 3441T and Gitzo 1325. Feisol claims the load capacity is 44 pounds; Gitzo claims theirs is 32 pounds. I've used both tripods extensively now with Nikon D800E + Nikon 80-400mm AFS, Chamonix 045n field camera, and a 1926 Gundlach Korona 5x7 field camera with heavy brass lenses. The Gitzo held that last one just fine; the Feisol was down right scary with that load. So there is no way, no way, no way the Feisol real world load capacity is anywhere near as high as the Gitzo. Neither is it as solid when the
...Show more

Yes, it seems clear that a Feisol 3441T has a way to go before it can equal the Gitzo 1325. But the original post is asking about the Feisol 3442, a different beast. At least it might be. The original post asked for comparison of

1) Feisol 3442 with a Markins Q3 Emille.

2) Gitzo GT3540LS with Markins Q10 and Acratech level base.

No one has actually compared that gear per se. The Feisol 3442 with Markins Q3 are similar in design but the Feisol is at a disadvantage and would benefit from a sturdier ball head.

Aug 01, 2017 at 05:52 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Would you keep this tripod?

SCOR wrote:

How many landscape shots do you take at 560mm ?! Be honest. I would have thought that environmental conditions would have made any landscapes shot at that mm pretty much good for web use only, in which case the tripod would be the least of your worries.

However a 100-400mm I can envisage being very useful, at least up to 200 or so.

You have both tripods, nobody else here does so you are, by some distance, the best one to judge. Take them both out in some of your typical shooting conditions and test them. I have both light, for travel, and sturdier/heavier tripods/heads however for 99% of my shooting the lighter tripods work just fine, that includes very long exposures. And I'd prefer to use any way I can to reduce the weight of my pack when going off to find those landscape shots, so long it's not going to compromise the end result.

As I mentioned elsewhere recently, finding a way to shield your setup from the wind is going to be much more effective for landscape photography than increasing the sturdiness of your tripod.

Aug 01, 2017 at 06:39 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Would you keep this tripod?

It's paid for and sill poems he job it was designed for and unless you desperately need the money I would keep it.

Aug 01, 2017 at 09:04 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Would you keep this tripod?

It's paid for and sill poems he job it was designed for and unless you desperately need the money I would keep it.

Aug 01, 2017 at 09:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.