Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

How to get a "cone of light" on seamless backgr...

moodlover

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to get a "cone of light" on seamless background?

Hi all, found this lovely still life by photographer J. Tasker:

http://imgur.com/a/1u6vj

I have a small Yongnuo 560-IV speedlite with 9" soft box I would like to dedicate to this task but can't figure out how to make the triangle/cone shape of light that starts small at the top and expands as it comes down. I love how it lands behind the flower pot and is the brightest point of that light. I will be doing this for portraits, not still life.

Also, I have a roll of cinefoil available (but not really sure how to use it) if that will help cut light from the sides like the reference. Is the background light a hard light? Soft light? I really don't know and would appreciate help, thanks!!!

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:12 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to get a "cone of light" on seamless background?

First, don't use the soft box, which spreads the light. You want to channel it, but only slightly, if at all. I would start by simply placing your speed light next to the top of your backdrop, aimed down toward the floor. The light spreads in a conical shape anyway. If the spread is too wide, you can simply wrap a piece of gaffer tape around the front of the speed light, creating a short snoot (maybe one inch deep). As to hard vs. soft, that's only relative to the surface it illuminates. In this case, it's the floor. My guess is that it's simply gelled green without further modification.

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:23 AM
moodlover

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to get a "cone of light" on seamless background?

Steve Wylie wrote:
First, don't use the soft box, which spreads the light. You want to channel it, but only slightly, if at all. I would start by simply placing your speed light next to the top of your backdrop, aimed down toward the floor. The light spreads in a conical shape anyway. If the spread is too wide, you can simply wrap a piece of gaffer tape around the front of the speed light, creating a short snoot (maybe one inch deep). As to hard vs. soft, that's only relative to the surface it illuminates. In this case, it's the floor.
...Show more

Thanks Steve, very helpful reply. I said perhaps its soft because if you look at the shadows on the left/right side of the background, the gradation is soft. The transition lines from the green backdrop into the shadow aren't hard and crisp like the shadows that are created by the yellow flowers onto the pot for example. Instead, they roll into shadow gradually.

Jul 29, 2017 at 01:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to get a "cone of light" on seamless background?

The beam from a fresnel light, like a speedlite, is brightest in the center. Then it tapers down to 50% (called beam diameter) and then rapidly disapears. The below illustration will give you an idea of how this looks.

Any part of this light beam will cast a hard shadow, even the softer edges. If you cut-out a cone (triangular) shape in a piece of showcard, then progected the light beam throught it, you would get a cone with three hard edges.

Jul 29, 2017 at 02:31 AM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to get a "cone of light" on seamless background?

moodlover wrote:
[...] but can't figure out how to make the triangle/cone shape of light that starts small at the top and expands as it comes down. I love how it lands behind the flower pot and is the brightest point of that light.

Put a grid on a speedlight, get it close to the sweep and point it down, you'll get that look.

It's brightest at the flower pot base because the sweep comes under the base, and the gridded (if that's how it was done) speedlight is pointed directly at the sweep at that point.

Jul 31, 2017 at 03:33 PM
Norm Shapiro
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to get a "cone of light" on seamless background?

Cinefoil is great stuff. Just form it around your flash head or light stand or whatever to work to block stray light. And you can use it over and over.

Aug 01, 2017 at 05:44 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password