Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent
  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent
DxOmark says the new Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens is a compact and optically excellent tele-zoom

"Sonyís longest lens in the lineup, the Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS performs exceptionally well, especially given that itís a tele-zoom. It has very high levels of sharpness, low fringing and vignetting, all helping it achieve a high DxOMark score. In terms of optical performance, it outperforms the popular Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 and the Canon EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS II, and ranks alongside a couple of the pro favorites ó the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG on the Nikon 800E, and the much pricier Canon EF 200-400mm F4L IS USM.

Itís even not far behind the latest iteration of the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 (the DG OS HSM S model). More interestingly perhaps, in terms of sharpness levels, it outperforms them all, even those mounted on the Canon EOS 5Ds R with its higher pixel count sensor."

Read entire review at DxOmark.com

___________

In stock at Adorama today! B&H Photo | Adorama ($2499)

Help support FM by using our links for your purchase! - Thank you!
























Jul 28, 2017 at 04:34 PM
LBJ2
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


Giddy! Finally native functionality and high IQ for those of us that have been adapting the longer lenses to Emount cameras. I plan to use this lens mostly on the A9. Wonder what the sharpness scores will be with this lens tested on the A9.


Jul 28, 2017 at 04:44 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


I probably will use my A9 with this as well. It has to be better real world just given the lower demand in mpx. I'm actually debating selling my A7rII to raise funds. Just do not know when we will see a A9r or A7rIII

LBJ2 wrote:
Giddy! Finally native functionality and high IQ for those of us that have been adapting the longer lenses to Emount cameras. I plan to use this lens mostly on the A9. Wonder what the sharpness scores will be with this lens tested on the A9.




Jul 28, 2017 at 04:47 PM
LBJ2
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


GMPhotography wrote:
I probably will use my A9 with this as well. It has to be better real world just given the lower demand in mpx. I'm actually debating selling my A7rII to raise funds. Just do not know when we will see a A9r or A7rIII



Tough decision. The A7r2 is one hell of a camera and for me a great partner with the A9 so I am all camered-up at the moment. BUT, when Sony comes out with a replacement if its anything like the A9 body with an improved A7r2 sensor, I know that camera will be a hell of a camera +2 !

Since the A9 is everything you need right now, might be a good time to sell for maximum return before the rumors start coming out for the replacement. But like you wrote, who knows when.



Jul 28, 2017 at 05:36 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


Yea that's the Big issue is when. I could rent it when I need the horsepower

Just looked at lens rentals it's 157 for a week. That's damn good pricing. Heck I can do that easy

LBJ2 wrote:
Tough decision. The A7r2 is one hell of a camera and for me a great partner with the A9 so I am all camered-up at the moment. BUT, when Sony comes out with a replacement if its anything like the A9 body with an improved A7r2 sensor, I know that camera will be a hell of a camera +2 !

Since the A9 is everything you need right now, might be a good time to sell for maximum return before the rumors start coming out for the replacement. But like you wrote, who knows when.




Jul 28, 2017 at 05:42 PM
LBJ2
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


GMPhotography wrote:
Yea that's the Big issue is when. I could rent it when I need the horsepower

Just looked at lens rentals it's 157 for a week. That's damn good pricing. Heck I can do that easy



If A9 covers 80-90% of your work why not. Renting is the perfect business case.



Jul 28, 2017 at 05:58 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


Certainly something to think about. Actually it has been since I got the A9. Yes it's all about business decisions why I envy the hobbyists. Classic case right here.

LBJ2 wrote:
If A9 covers 80-90% of your work why not. Renting is the perfect business case.




Jul 28, 2017 at 06:03 PM
darbo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


They're rating the FE 100-400 GM on the a7R II as sharper than the EF 100-400L II on the 5DS R. Impressive. Very impressive.


Jul 28, 2017 at 06:16 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


darbo wrote:
They're rating the FE 100-400 GM on the a7R II as sharper than the EF 100-400L II on the 5DS R. Impressive. Very impressive.


It's interesting. If you look at the engineering drawings, the front of the Sony and Canon look very similar, but then the Sony becomes a much more complicated lens back toward the sensor. It looks like Sony really went all out on this lens.



Jul 28, 2017 at 07:59 PM
Vcize
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


Interesting that they put "compact" in the title when it's larger than all the other 100-400 lenses.

Either way, looks good. I may give this a rent for the eclipse.



Jul 28, 2017 at 08:21 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



MedicineMan404
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


Guy don't do it! The a9+a7Rii is a match made in heaven. Just wait a bit.


Jul 28, 2017 at 08:23 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


I'm in no hurry but your images are killing me. Lol

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Guy don't do it! The a9+a7Rii is a match made in heaven. Just wait a bit.




Jul 28, 2017 at 08:40 PM
mike reid
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


for me, compact is my Zeiss 100-300


Jul 28, 2017 at 09:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


mike reid wrote:
for me, compact is my Zeiss 100-300


The Zeiss 100-300 is my favorite landscape lens and it's not going anywhere.

I have not tested them side-by-side but from the look of my initial images, I think the Zeiss will be better from 100mm until about 150mm since it's optimized for the wider range. After that I believe the GM will take the lead.
I will try running a side by side test this weekend under good lighting.



Jul 28, 2017 at 09:30 PM
mogul
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


I am curious about rendition of OOF focus areas, the 70/400 can sometimes have very nervous backgrounds (very sharp lens though).


Jul 28, 2017 at 09:55 PM
bjornthun
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


DXO say that the Sony 100-400 has 5.9 T stop and the Canon 100-400 II has 5.6 T stop. Notice also that the Sony has -0.8 EV vignetting but the Canon has -1.1 EV vignetting. So the Sony 100-400 has a bit lower transmission, but the Canon 100-400 II has more vignetting.


Jul 28, 2017 at 09:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


I just tested it against my Zeiss (Contax) 100-300 and it was what I expected.

They are actually very similar and it was great to see that the GM is able to discern very small detail (high frequency).
The Zeiss is only sharper towards the very edges at 100mm where it performs best. (The GM matches it at f/5.6 though)
Once you get to 150mm, the zoom catches up and at 200 and longer it's better everywhere. That's a great performance because the Zeiss 100-300mm is one of the best long zooms out there.

I will post some crops later on.

Also, the FE 100-400 GM seems to perform best wide open at infinity (expect for 100mm). Once you start stopping down (even at f/6.3), diffraction becomes visible. That's actually excellent performance.



Jul 29, 2017 at 12:24 AM
InFocus2014
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


The DXO aggregate sharpness scoring does not always mean a lot to me since the scores often seem to be weighted toward mid-apertures. As an example, I mostly shoot f1.4 lenses at f1.4 to f2.2. DXO will often rate an f1.4 lens high for sharpness, but when you look at the sharpness Field Maps, the sharpness they quantify will be for the lens performance at around f4; whereas, f1.4 performance might be what I consider to be only fair compared to, say, some Sigma ART lenses. I now go straight to the Sharpness Field Maps.

In the case of the GM 100-400mm, however, it appears that this lens is outstanding wide-open at all focal lengths, when viewing their field maps. It appears to outperform the Canon 100-400 II (which I just sold on the faith that the GM would be great). Yahoo!! My GM is scheduled to arrive, Monday. I couldn't be happier, since I will use this lens a lot.

I have never been a fan of teleconverters on zoom lenses, but this one is apparently sharp enough to where I might just order the x1.4 converter for shooting wildlife.



Jul 29, 2017 at 12:57 AM
BrandonSi
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


I read that review as 'low frigging vignetting'.. Thought DxO had gotten sassy on us for a moment there.


Jul 29, 2017 at 01:11 AM
mark1958
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DxOmark: FE 100-400mm GM, compact and optically excellent


I have not had enough time to compare with the Zeiss.. So question is whether it is worth keeping. It is smaller and compact.

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just tested it against my Zeiss (Contax) 100-300 and it was what I expected.

They are actually very similar and it was great to see that the GM is able to discern very small detail (high frequency).
The Zeiss is only sharper towards the very edges at 100mm where it performs best. (The GM matches it at f/5.6 though)
Once you get to 150mm, the zoom catches up and at 200 and longer it's better everywhere. That's a great performance because the Zeiss 100-300mm is one of the best long zooms out there.

I will post some crops later on.

Also, the
...Show more



Jul 29, 2017 at 01:43 AM
1
       2       3       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password