Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Gary Fong vs MagMod Magsphere?

dorota.long

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gary Fong vs MagMod Magsphere?

I recently lost the Dome that goes on top of the Gary Fong and now I am wondering if I should maybe switch to the Magmod's Magsphere instead since I have heard so many good reviews. Has anyone used both and can tell me the there is a big difference in light quality?
I have read MagMod can be a little heavy is that true? I am not sure if I should get the $20 replacement dome or switch to Magmod. Thoughts?

Jul 28, 2017 at 09:48 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gary Fong vs MagMod Magsphere?

dorota.long wrote:
I have read MagMod can be a little heavy is that true? I am not sure if I should get the $20 replacement dome or switch to Magmod. Thoughts?

The MagMod system has much greater versatility than the Fong thing. The grids are really nice. The light quality of the Mag Sphere vs Fong will be about the same, they are both small point sources of light.

Edited on Jul 28, 2017 at 02:27 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:33 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gary Fong vs MagMod Magsphere?

The question for me comes down to whether or not you would use the other items that magmod offers. The light from the fong dong and the magspehere are likely going to be close (I remember seeing comparisons before, but I cannot recall how the light differed).

If you can use the other magmod items as well, I would definitely go that route. There are so many cool things you can do with the mag gear. But, if all you want is an on camera flash light difusor, you are probably better off sticking with the fong because, as you mentioned, the weight of the magmod is a factor.

Jul 28, 2017 at 01:28 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gary Fong vs MagMod Magsphere?

Not a fan of flat lighting.

not a fan of throwing light everywhere....

Jul 28, 2017 at 01:50 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gary Fong vs MagMod Magsphere?

I like to use a sphere and one or two grids to really focus the light.

I don't like the bounce, people say it looks like an umbrella, a 12" umbrella maybe...

Fong vs Sphere is probably a close match in light quality as Joel said, so it comes down to other things, like ability to easily add gels, stack grids, or use magmask, etc.

Jul 28, 2017 at 02:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gary Fong vs MagMod Magsphere?

If you know how to use your flash properly these devices are not needed. The worst part is that they waste the light from the flash and so batteries do not last as long and recycling times can be twice as long which leads to missed shots.

Aug 01, 2017 at 09:52 PM
Aram H

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gary Fong vs MagMod Magsphere?

I use my Mag Sphere very often. Works for me. Yes I'm sure one can use battery life more efficient and control light better. Averything can be improved but it work as it is. If you wish check out some images from Miami Wedding photographer

Aug 03, 2017 at 01:00 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gary Fong vs MagMod Magsphere?

elkhornsun wrote:
If you know how to use your flash properly these devices are not needed.

The sphere transforms the flash in an omnidirectional light, allowing for some small catchlights when bouncing and provides a bit extra fill.

The grids are useful to control spill, and 2 grids+sphere will create a perfectly circular output, which can be useful.

You can't shape the light or control spill with a bare bulb. It has nothing to do with skills.

Would you say to someone they don't need that softbox if they learn to use their strobe properly?

Losing a stop of light is hardly problematic as I only use speedlites for reception or inside events, where my ISO is typically at 1600 to preserve the ambient look, therefore the flashes barely work. They recycle fast and with lithium batteries I can do 3 weddings before I need to recharge them.

TL DR Im not that much of a fan of magmod but it has its uses and its purpose can't be replaced just by skills

Aug 03, 2017 at 01:28 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gary Fong vs MagMod Magsphere?

I don't magmod. Never found myself in a position where one of my already-owned trinkets didn't work. If you are wondering, I made a Fong myself. I took a clear plastic disposable soup bowl with lid, spray painted it white on the inside, and cut a hole in the bottom of the bowl to stuff the flash into. Works the same!!! Cost me $4 to make.

Aug 07, 2017 at 02:57 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password