Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · D5 - 3D AF not assignable to buttons?

la puffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D5 - 3D AF not assignable to buttons?

I can assign the other AF modes to function buttons and the Preview button, but I can't assign 3D AF to any of these. Is there something that I'm missing that's preventing me from doing this? If it's not possible, what would be a reason for preventing this?

Thanks

Jul 28, 2017 at 01:47 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D5 - 3D AF not assignable to buttons?

Only a Nikon engineer can say why. But if you need 3D AF just assign the body to 3D and use the function buttons to switch to something else.

Jul 28, 2017 at 07:17 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D5 - 3D AF not assignable to buttons?

I'd suspect that's because 3D AF isn't guaranteed to be available when in AF mode, as it requires a D capable lens to be mounted. Older AF and AF N lenses cannot do 3D AF.

Jul 28, 2017 at 08:29 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D5 - 3D AF not assignable to buttons?

I figured out a work around for this issue on my D500 so I'd assume it will work on your D5. Basically you are correct in that when you assign AF-ON + Area Mode to a button it won't allow 3D. So instead set 3D as your main AF mode via the normal AF mode button. Then if you want it to be on Pv assign AF-ON to Pv (just AF-ON, not AF-ON+Area Mode). You can then assign AF-ON + Area Mode to all the other back buttons (like AF-ON, Joystick, Fn etc) and those buttons would be your other modes that you want (like Group, D25 etc).

Jul 28, 2017 at 08:59 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D5 - 3D AF not assignable to buttons?

arbitrage wrote:
I figured out a work around for this issue on my D500 so I'd assume it will work on your D5 ... So instead set 3D as your main AF mode via the normal AF mode button ... You can then assign AF-ON + Area Mode to all the other back buttons (like AF-ON, Joystick, Fn etc) and those buttons would be your other modes that you want (like Group, D25 etc).

That's what I've done. I'll start shooting a play in 3D, but then switch to Single or D9 for the remainder of the play which is longer, and more active in acquiring and following different targets. When I'm pumping the AF, it's a heck of a lot easier to use the main Back AF button. That's why I'd rather do the brief initial focus with a Fn on 3D.

That's a bummer, but now it's confirmed that I didn't miss something deep in the menus.

Thanks

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D5 - 3D AF not assignable to buttons?

la puffin wrote:
That's what I've done. I'll start shooting a play in 3D, but then switch to Single or D9 for the remainder of the play which is longer, and more active in acquiring and following different targets. When I'm pumping the AF, it's a heck of a lot easier to use the main Back AF button. That's why I'd rather do the brief initial focus with a Fn on 3D.

That's a bummer, but now it's confirmed that I didn't miss something deep in the menus.

Thanks

But you can have 3D on the Fn button with my way. Then assign D9 to AF-ON and Single to push in the joystick (or Pv). OR if you don't use focus recompose with the back-button AF in Continuous you can leave 3D on the shutter button. As long as you hold down your back button (assigned to D9) it will still use D9 instead of 3D on the shutter even when you push the shutter to take the shot.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:00 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D5 - 3D AF not assignable to buttons?

Thanks Arbitrage.

What I'm getting:
- Main AF mode set to 3D
- Set an Fn button to AF-ON only, so that activates AF in 3D
- Set back-button to AF-ON + Area Mode, set to D9

I'll give that a try.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:54 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D5 - 3D AF not assignable to buttons?

la puffin wrote:
Thanks Arbitrage.

What I'm getting:
- Main AF mode set to 3D
- Set an Fn button to AF-ON only, so that activates AF in 3D
- Set back-button to AF-ON + Area Mode, set to D9

I'll give that a try.

Yeah give it a try, should work....right now I have 3D on the joystick push via the above method.

Jul 28, 2017 at 02:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.