Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell


non professional insurance

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · non professional insurance

Hello All

So I fall somewhere in that grey area between hobbyist and professional. Call it amateur, semi prof, etc. Essentially I am beyond the basics I've been shooting about 5 years and have apx $11,000 retail value between my 1DX 70-200 24-70 flashes and other various tools. BUT i don't officially have a business....I don't shoot full time, maybe I help someone out here and there with some photos and collect some extra money. Maybe even get picked up from a local business to help out with some product photos or something. So, homeowner type policies don't like the fact you make money with photography and it seems all the standalone photo gear plans want to know your business name, your tax id #, etc etc etc.

I want to have theft, fire, water, accidental damage coverage, etc with a reasonable deductible. I don't expect this to be $5/mo but would also rather not pay $1,000 a year seeing my actual income generated with this gear is pretty limited..... I suppose I just don't like being limited by my equipment. When i DO want to shoot something I want to do it right.

Long message to simply ask for recommendations that you guys would trust. Are the "professional" photographer policies only for official professional photographers? do you have to have a "photography business" to get one?

Thank you

Jul 28, 2017 at 04:21 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · non professional insurance

It might not be non professional but for $27.92 a month you could join the PPA (Professional Photographers of America) and get their $15,000 insurance coverage included. All you have to do after joining is to sign in and find out where to turn it on. That's less than I've paid for professional coverage previously. For $210 more a year you can get Photo Care Plus which covers up to 100K and is covered with a full replacement cost vs the depreciated value with the basic policy.

Or you could use your homeowner's insurance, but I'd consult my agent first to make sure it's viable.

PPA Insurance Page

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · non professional insurance

I went with Progressive Commercial for $380/yr. Since it's a business photographer policy, the coverage is far better than PPA. Example, gear stolen from an unlocked vehicle is not covered by PPA. In San Francisco thieves stalk will stalk photographers for hours waiting for an opportunity to quickly swipe equipment. It is so bad that news stations and film crews hire armed security just to watch over their stuff when out shooting. Progressive will cover the gear AND the loss of revenue for not being able to complete the assignment.

When I used to just have my equipment itemized on my AAA homeowner's policy, it was super cheap and covered my equipment even if it was stolen during a personal trip to Seoul. But they were very clear when saying they would not cover anything if it was being used for business.

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:11 PM
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · non professional insurance

I itemized it on my AmFam home owner's policy for under $150/yr. I asked the insurance salesperson, "if I drop it into the water, is it covered?" The answer was yes. Even "mysterious disappearance", just plain losing it, is covered. I needed to give them a spreadsheet itemizing everything, including serial numbers but that's good to have anyway.--E.

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:20 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell


You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password