New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Grainy images

CFitchett

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grainy images

WHY oh why are some of my images grainy? I have a canon mark II AND 7-200 is lens. Had a shoot yesterday of a family of 4. f5.0, 1/500, ISO200. Some shoots I do are not grainy. Especially ones that are under complete shade. F2.8, 1/1000, ISO100-200.

What am I doing wrong?!

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:49 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grainy images

Not enough info to help out here. Canon MkII what camera - there have been several mark II models. Shooting raw or jpeg? If raw what processing software. If raw, how much sharpening and noise reduction while processing. If jpeg, what picture style and what parameters? Are you sure you're critically focused? Even slightly out of focus images will absolutely look grainier or noisier than the same image critically in focus. Can you post any examples here or post a link to full res samples?

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:37 PM
CFitchett

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grainy images

I am shooting raw and I use LR for detail/sharpness and noise reduction. From there, I export to PS and do the remainder of editing there.

I'm not a "member" so I cant post pictures apparently.

Could it be my settings at all? The highest my ISO is 250 however my image is still slight dark. With the family I did, settings were f5.0, 1/500 and ISO 250.

Jul 28, 2017 at 03:01 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grainy images

Still not knowing which mark II camera you're using - 5DMKII, 1DSMKII, 1DxMKII, 7DMKII, etc. Anytime you under expose, you risk increasing the noise, but on most cameras ISO 250 is not that big a deal. Sharpening can be. Still, you need to post images somewhere where we can see them otherwise it's just talk.

Jul 28, 2017 at 03:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grainy images

Are you pushing the images in post?

Jul 28, 2017 at 03:44 AM
CFitchett

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grainy images

5D Mark II

Jul 28, 2017 at 03:52 AM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Grainy images

It seems like you posted this question on the Canon Forum as well... it's probably because you are underexposing and then trying to recover details in post processing.

A 5D Mark II sensor is going to handle noise very well... don't be afraid to push it to ISO1600 or even higher to get the proper exposure.

Aug 02, 2017 at 01:52 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password