Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

How would you shoot this? (fun post)

Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

Because this is the internet: before some miserable git has a go at me for not coming up with my own ideas this is a bit of fun because this thing is so damn odd and I wanted to share.

I found this tree at wedding venue. No idea what the story is but perhaps it got split apart by lightning and both sides continued to live. As a feature of the venue, how would you use it in a b&g shot?

Jul 27, 2017 at 05:49 PM
notherenow
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

Never mind the bride and groom, I would love to shoot that tree with a tilt shift lens.

If people have to be involved, one behind the other (the second raised or the front down low) and also from the side with both in the space but just their heads peaking out each side though again, I just want the tree.

Jul 27, 2017 at 06:47 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

when in doubt, backlight the shit

Jul 27, 2017 at 07:00 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

Great Aphorism!

also use an ultra-wide and a low angle for some shots

Jul 27, 2017 at 07:05 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

InSanE wrote:
when in doubt, backlight the shit

This was my first thought too!

rw11 wrote:
Great Aphorism!

My gf was less enthused, "what message does a split in half tree make for a wedding picture?"

I tried to convince her it could be more like the two halves of the tree coming together with the b&g filling up the hole in it but actually I mostly just thought it looked really cool.

Jul 27, 2017 at 07:13 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

Oh I can see this being such a romanic shot! I'm thinking something along the lines of a romance novel cover. Groom standing where your subject is, in a Latin toga flexing his muscles as he pushes the two halves of the tree further apart with one hand on each half of the tree trunk. Wearing an olive branch crown. Barefoot with his feet separated shoulder width apart. His bride is sitting on her right thigh next to his left leg with her arms around his waist. She is in her white cotton single strap Roman Goddess dress gazing up at his powerful physique. Smoke bomb set off in background and backlit.

Jul 27, 2017 at 07:15 PM
Boss302
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

Perhaps setting up for a first look?
Depending on the families involved might incorporate for family photos - like two families "trees" separate and then coming together?

Jul 27, 2017 at 07:48 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

I'd have the b&g standing on opposite sides behind each half peeking out at each other. and maybe hand-hearts.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

I see it as a bride only shot. I also see it as a bride/groom/child shot. I don't see it as a couples shot. Not to knock, but personally, I think the peek thing is so cliché.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:24 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

amonline wrote:
I see it as a bride only shot. I also see it as a bride/groom/child shot. I don't see it as a couples shot. Not to knock, but personally, I think the peek thing is so cliché.

haha i was totally being sarcastic... i thought the hand-heart thing was a giveaway.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:35 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

I would photograph the bride & groom at either side of the split tree, sort of a metaphor of when they grow to hate each other and finally split up.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:56 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

dhp_sf wrote:
haha i was totally being sarcastic... i thought the hand-heart thing was a giveaway.

Actually, after I posted that, I looked up at your name and knew you had to be joking.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:49 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

Cool tree! Well worth making use of it somehow! The tree is incredibly unique so I'd pretty much keep it simple. The tree is unique enough without adding extra gimmicks. As such, I'd probably

I had a guy a few years back who was OBSESSED with having a photo with the wedding party 'in a tree' that was:

a. miles away
b. not that interesting

It was nuts. I was like... nobody hires me for wedding party in a tree pictures. It's not my style, it's a shit idea and it's a massive waste of time. It nearly killed my relationship with the client. Lil story for ya there.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:38 AM
ashton lamont
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

There probably is a history to the tree that could be researched if there is a head gardener or suchlike for the location.

The history can make the tree quite interesting rather than maybe just a freakish appearance. The Elvetham Hotel - which I'm sure Tony knows - has an Oak tree which was planted over 400 years ago to commemorate the visit of Queen Elizabeth 1st. If I remember rightly this tree is in the background:

At the same venue there is a famous - or sometimes infamous - fact that an avenue of trees was filmed for clips for the once household comedian name Benny Hill. Loads of couples and their wedding parties like to cavort around in this avenue to take on what were scantily clad nubile young ladies chasing around with Mr Hill.

There is another quirky very old tree at nearby Ufton Court but I can't recall its history.

Pete

Jul 28, 2017 at 07:45 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How would you shoot this? (fun post)

ashton lamont wrote:
At the same venue there is a famous - or sometimes infamous - fact that an avenue of trees was filmed for clips for the once household comedian name Benny Hill.

Pete

That's a name that I haven't heard in a long time.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:34 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password