Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Barrel Racing

Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Barrel Racing

recently in Oregon

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    200mm    f/3.2    1/400s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    200mm    f/3.2    1/400s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    200mm    f/3.2    1/500s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    200mm    f/3.2    1/640s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Jul 27, 2017 at 04:58 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Barrel Racing

You've got the action down but some OOF as well. I see two issues, DoF too shallow at f/3.2 and SS of 1/400 a bit slow.

Jul 31, 2017 at 02:01 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Barrel Racing

You're using a 1Dx... push the ISO up to like 800-1000... it will be almost impossible to notice the difference in terms of noise and you'll be able to get a high enough shutter speed to freeze every mote of dirty dust being kicked up.

Jul 31, 2017 at 04:56 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Barrel Racing

I shoot rodeo exclusively, so very familiar with your subjects.

Keeping your shutter above 1/1000th is a must to nail sharp images. I prefer the look of shooting wide open and use 200/2 at f/2 all the time. I just keep focus point on the riders face and have a good hit rate (even better now that I upgraded to the D5).

Keep low as possible! I often shoot barrel racing laying flat on my belly. Just going from kneeling to prone will improve the look tremendously!!!

Watch out on your framing as well!

BTW, #2 and #4 are my favs!!! Nice job!!!

Jul 31, 2017 at 06:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jonas Ottos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Barrel Racing

#4 is my favorite here. I would have liked them a tiny bit brighter but that's just my preference but the subject isolation is very well executed.

This is very good work

Jonas

Aug 01, 2017 at 01:03 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Barrel Racing

Thank you all for your comments.
I don't shoot action/moving subjects that often - did a car racing over a year ago, and this rodeo thing was a double first - watching and shooting.
The light that morning was mostly shaded - a thin marine layer with some open spots
Anyway, it was fun and a learning experience.
very helpful feedback

@Scholtz: yes - I was experimenting with a few settings, so the keeper rate got better towards the end. Barely had time to change things once they started...will know better next time

@Crocodillo - I like the dirt blurred motion - I guess I got too much of it lol. Yeah, I thought that I had it in auto-iso, but it's one of those things that won't be forgotten next time to double check

@Weasel - Thanks; I checked out your website - WOW .
wish I could be on the ground - shooting from the stands front row, and had to deal with some fencing wires and such.
They had some greenery on the grounds, which made things more difficult

@Jonas - thanks; it's a tendency I always have - a pull to the dark side ...ehehe. but I agree with you

Aug 01, 2017 at 05:54 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Barrel Racing

It's a wonder those quarter horses don't get injured making those tight cuts. Nice action shots.

Aug 01, 2017 at 09:00 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password