New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Solar Filter question

Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Solar Filter question

i am thinking about photographing the eclipse. I see several "solar filters" available. I also saw that Breakthrough photography has a 15 stop ND filter. I sent BP a question and they said their filter was for landscape photographers and they could not comment on its efficacy as a solar filter. My experience with breakthrough photography filters has been good quality wise. My question is whether anyone here knows if I should buy their 15 stop filter or if there is some "special sauce" regarding a solar filter that makes the filters more appropriate. B&H sells Formatt and Marumi solar filters. I shoot Sony mirrorless if that matters.

Thanks for any thoughts on what might be best to purchase.

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:54 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Solar Filter question

I bought a large sheet of this:
https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Filter-Telescopes-Binoculars-Cameras/dp/B00DS7RO7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1501170140&sr=1-1&keywords=solar+filter+sheet

and will cut it up and mount it on a piece of ABS pipe for next month. You could also go to a telescope supply source and buy a solar filter, but proper telescope filters are expensive and a good polymer sheet filter should work pretty well.

For direct observing, you could also use heliarc (aka TiG) welding glasses and filters. But they need to be for heliarc, not one of the lower-temperature types of welding.

You could also try projection photography, where you basically align a pinhole sheet with the sun and project the sun's image safely onto a flat surface, then shoot the projection.

I've seen repeated recommendations for 10-15-stop light blocking if you're shooting through a camera or looking at it directly. The biggest drawback I've seen to regular ND filters is that they don't block IR, so a straight photo filter may not be adequate to protect your eyes.

Canon recently concluded a nice article series on photographing the eclipse. Scroll a little down this page:
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2017/eclipse.shtml?RID=1-V2N2CC&CON=1-KWA-633&PRO=&CID=1-V029C3

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:50 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Solar Filter question

There are a couple threads on solar filtering. Would be worth searching.

That said, a 15 stop ND filter is considered not adequate for the sun even though the sun may look 'dark enough' to you. The ND filter would be especially dangerous if one were to look through an optical viewfinder from a camera (which you don't have) telescope or binoculars as it would not filter dangerous UV light.
For totality, you would not use any solar filter.
For a couple minutes before and after totality, a wide angle lens without filter should not harm your camera but you still cannot view it directly unfiltered.
https://amazingsky.net/2017/06/23/ten-tips-for-the-solar-eclipse/
https://amazingsky.net/2017/02/28/how-to-shoot-the-solar-eclipse/

The baader solar film seems to have the best imaging quality. Others are still ok for visual.
Last week when I checked, High Point Scientific still had baader premade filters that you would put on the front of your lens. You cannot put any filter (or eclipse glasses) anywhere behind the front element.
See here http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1500329/0#14115661

Jul 27, 2017 at 04:29 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Solar Filter question

Abbott Schindl wrote:
For direct observing, you could also use heliarc (aka TiG) welding glasses and filters. But they need to be for heliarc, not one of the lower-temperature types of welding.

For viewing, your filter should meet the requirements ISO 12312-2:2015. You don't get spare eyes.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 27, 2017 at 06:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jankap

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Solar Filter question

Here in Germany Baader Solar is THE brand.
For instance Baader Solar ASBF60 or Baader BA2459326 for my lens.
Jan

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:42 PM
Mike Deep
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Solar Filter question

Luvwine wrote:
i am thinking about photographing the eclipse. I see several "solar filters" available. I also saw that Breakthrough photography has a 15 stop ND filter. I sent BP a question and they said their filter was for landscape photographers and they could not comment on its efficacy as a solar filter. My experience with breakthrough photography filters has been good quality wise. My question is whether anyone here knows if I should buy their 15 stop filter or if there is some "special sauce" regarding a solar filter that makes the filters more appropriate. B&H sells Formatt and Marumi solar
...Show more

Solar filters are not merely strong ND filters. They filter the entire spectrum of light radiating from the sun. So while that 15 stop filter will block 15 stops of visible light, will it block 15 stops of infrared? Probably not. Don't find out by burning your retinas or your camera sensor.

Jul 30, 2017 at 03:26 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Solar Filter question

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=7710

a glass filter supposedly higher IQ than film based filters. good shooting.

ps i just ordered the 5.81" version.

Jul 31, 2017 at 05:51 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Solar Filter question

saw an article not to trust every filter sold on Amazon - maybe in NYT

I ordered a cheap filter from B&H - $35 or so and won't last until the next eclipse...

Jul 31, 2017 at 07:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password