FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Dumping the Photo Gear

garydavidjones
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Ebay costs too much to sell on and is filled with scammers. KEH and the New York stores
pay way below value in my opinion. Often with the latter delays occur after low ball
estimates upon their examination of your items. Delays are probably meant to
snare financially desperate sellers.

Hire someone like mitesh to sell on FM. If the commission is reasonable,
you sell your items with minimal hassle and maximum returns.

Jul 30, 2017 at 03:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Thanks, all.

I will try the Adormama and the MBP in parallel. (The KEH price calculator does not look too bad, but that is of no use if they downgrade a couple of levels.)

Most of my lenses are low use as I only shot 4-5 weeks per year at most, but they are not particularly fine cosmetically.

EBH

Jul 30, 2017 at 03:34 PM
mfitzhenry

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I have had limited but positive experience selling Fulfilled by Amazon. you search for an existing listing that matches your product, make an ad, maybe include photos. You send the product into Amazon with a discounted shipping rate. They list it once it checks out, and then handle the transaction and shipping to customer. They take under 10 percent. My strategy has been to be the cheapest FBA item, any my items have sold right away. I prefer FBA items when I buy used on Amazon, so I figured I'd sell the same way. A small hassle to set everything up, but nothing that bad. there are lots of youtube videos on the process if you are unsure. Waay, way better than KEH or craigslist in my opinion. Just price it to move and be thankful for the lack of hassle. You'll still be way ahead of KEH

Jul 30, 2017 at 04:42 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Dumping the Photo Gear

This is a really good suggestion. I'll keep this as an idea for my future sales.

Cheers

mfitzhenry wrote:
I have had limited but positive experience selling Fulfilled by Amazon. you search for an existing listing that matches your product, make an ad, maybe include photos. You send the product into Amazon with a discounted shipping rate. They list it once it checks out, and then handle the transaction and shipping to customer. They take under 10 percent. My strategy has been to be the cheapest FBA item, any my items have sold right away. I prefer FBA items when I buy used on Amazon, so I figured I'd sell the same way. A small hassle to set everything
...Show more

Jul 30, 2017 at 06:37 PM
mfitzhenry

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Definitely worth checking out, in my opinion. There's a bit of a learning curve to get started, but then it's pretty easy. Amazon handles it all once you have sent it in.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:38 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Dumping the Photo Gear

fsphoto wrote:
KEH often has buying road trips.
They set up at a camera store or photo event in various locations around the country. Check with them as to when and if they might be near you.

I recently sold a bunch of gear to them at one of these events.
Did I get top dollar? Not even close. Was it easy? Very much so.

This is what I did for about 10 lenses last year. These were lenses I was thinking of selling but was just too busy/lazy to get around to doing piecemeal. You know, research pricing, make appealing product photos for the ads, etc., etc. Some of the items were also rather esoteric and potentially difficult to sell in non-mint condition. KEH happened to be coming to my local pro shop and I gave it a try... very easy process. Of course I got nowhere near market value. Probably half, if that. But none of my stuff was pristine (I use my gear ) and I honestly had no enthusiasm for dealing with buyers nitpicking over cosmetic blemishes, lens coating marks, internal dust, etc.

If I was a collector or coddled my gear I would definitely sell it piecemeal on *bay or here at FM. But like you, I just wanted a smooth, easy transaction without having to worry about someone potentially wanting to return a (big ticket) item out of the blue. I got this with KEH.

I used to work in a camera store and it was typical we'd only pay about 40% of what the item sold for new. Given the store has to hold it in inventory, and for obscure stuff, possibly for years or decades , they need to make a decent profit to keep the lights on and the door open. Therefore I'm kind of surprised at the indignation of others around the offers they receive. I mean it's only obvious this is going to happen if as a buyer you're expecting to buy used gear from these stores for considerably less than new...

There's always a cost to convenience and here it will be getting only 40-50% of market value. But it means you can carry on with other, higher priority matters with minimal distraction.

All that said, looking at your profile and there would probably be a couple items I'd grab from you assuming in good condition (doesn't have to be pristine). My guess is you're the kind of guy the KEH guy would die to meet at a camera store trade-in event. They almost died when I rolled in with my gear (maybe I should have sold it piecemeal, haha). Seeing some of the junk people were trading in, if you're selling mostly quality gear, and it's a large quantity (dozens, or 50+), I wonder if they'd pay you a special visit between stops at stores. You know, make them come to see you rather than you being completely at their mercy by sending it in and not being in the room during the evaluation. I'm not all that sure I'd have gotten what I did if I sent it in to them. Being there in person while they give you prices, you can obviously turn them down, which I did for some items I was on the fence about selling. In turn, I got the feeling when I went back later in the day with more stuff, that the guy 'sharpened' his pencil a bit to give me a bit better than otherwise. Sure, still less than I'd have gotten selling here, but probably a bit more than a blind evaluation. Or maybe he was just putting on a show for my benefit, haha.

Jul 31, 2017 at 01:21 AM
foto16

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Last year I sold all my Canon and m43 gears, a lot of items. My experience: I sold the majority through craigslist and the experience was good. I also sold a few through ebay. I posted on several forums including FM, but I only sold one lens, as the buyer base is too narrow and the few people who asked expected to get a bargain rather than a fair price. I sold at better prices through Craigslist. If you do transactions in public places and only accept cash Craigslist is very safe for the seller. The best part: you sell as is; there is no return. If you sell through Amazon you have to abide by their return policy, which is a hassle I'm not willing to deal with. Who knows what kind of buyers you are going to get. I also checked KEH and adorama---their offering prices are not competitive compared to Craigslist (understandably so). The negative side of Craigslist is that it's more time consuming (and maybe emotionally consuming for some people) but you get good prices for your gear.

Jul 31, 2017 at 02:02 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Dumping the Photo Gear

EB-1 i think you are quite a fine fellow. i have always look forward to reading your comments. it saddens me to hear that you are having problems in your life. i hope that all will be well for you in the future. a concerned fellow FMer.

R. Hiram Johnson II
Master of Light Studios

Good day.....

Jul 31, 2017 at 05:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

castlekeeper01
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Dumping the Photo Gear

EB-1 - Sorry to learn of your challenges.

My $.02 worth is to take MItesh up on his offer. Seriously. He's a well respected and honest FMer. He knows the real value of gear, how to post it to sell on this forum, and I'd bet his "commission" would be peanuts compared to resellers. But there is the small matter of getting all the gear to him ....

Or, post it here on FM, and as the $ comes in take the items to FEDEX or UPS - they have outlets that package them for you. You can also set up a pick-up service with them if that would be helpful - but you'd have to do the packing.

Your outstanding history on this site will get you the highest $ return with the least hassle possible, IMO. Not sure which part of the transactions troubles you the most ... some of my deals on FM have been a bit annoying, but those rare occurrences are far outweighed by many fine people making deals smooth, even fun.

You have many quiet supporters on this site. I'd say give it a go here.

Good luck, and let the FM community know how we can help.

Aug 05, 2017 at 06:23 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Dumping the Photo Gear

EB-1 wrote:
I have a lot of problems, not to be mentioned at this point.
Essentially my ability to travel most likely will be quite limited in the next few years.
By then I may not be feasible.

EBH

Sorry to hear about your troubles, we'll all be there soon enough. You have some great gear listed on your profile, it would be a shame to let it go for a song. Why not enlist a student or grandchild to manage the sale here on FM, you'll get a better price and make some fellow FMers happy. You can pay the kid a commission in the form of a body and lens of their choice. Everyone will be happy.

Cheers, ...Dave

Aug 05, 2017 at 08:28 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Good Luck!

and, you can focus on macro shots - they do not require travel and can be done while seated at a desk

Aug 05, 2017 at 08:33 PM
JPTrunck
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Try UsedPhotoPro.com. They have come to our annual photo convention in SW Florida and are great people to deal with. The company is affiliated with Roberts Camera out of Indianapolis.

Jim

Aug 07, 2017 at 03:07 PM
Etherton
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Sorry to hear EB-1. Praying for you and family.

Aug 07, 2017 at 04:28 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I recently sold my 50d and a Sigma lens to https://www.mpb.com/en-us/

The offer was better than my local shop and KEH. I will do business with mpb again but it did take longer to close the deal than I would have liked.

Aug 08, 2017 at 04:40 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I would sell it here as it will probably bring you the most return, list each piece and a bulk price of what ever percent you find is worth your convenience

Aug 10, 2017 at 05:50 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Good luck on selling your gear.

Aug 10, 2017 at 08:01 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password