3       end

Archive 2017 · Dumping the Photo Gear

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Dumping the Photo Gear

arbitrage wrote:
EBH,
I'm also sorry to hear about your troubles. I would just go through Adorama or B&H if you want simple and are willing to not get top used dollar. I know you have a lot of stuff in your closet...what is it 4 or 5 100-400 lenses now?

Yes. I just trying to figure out which is better. I'm not a fan of dealing with NY people, but do they pay any more than the KEH?

EBH

Jul 27, 2017 at 09:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Abbott Schindl wrote:
I sold a batch of lenses + bodies to Adorama and a lens to KEH and wasn't asked for receipts or other proof of ownership. And as Chez says, they pay pretty low and grade equipment pretty stringently. From a seller perspective I'd try another outlet, but from a buyer perspective, you can really trust what they say (I've bought used from KEH).

You could try KEH and National Camera as well as Adorama and B&H. I've never done a comparison, but you may do better at one than another.

eBay's a good option, depending on how many copies of what
...Show more

Years ago I did sell a few items at FM. Now there are many professional sellers and shady characters. I don't know if it is worth the hassle to have the crazy ones stalking me personally or plastering name address, phone number, etc. all over the web. Even back then I would post lower prices and then people become suspicious. I know some people have the knack to resell, but it is rather difficult.

EBH

Jul 27, 2017 at 09:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Dumping the Photo Gear

mitesh wrote:
EBH,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Send me everything and I'll sell it here and forward you the proceeds, less a mutually-agreed upon commission .

What was that show, the 40 Year Old Virgin, where the woman was in that business? I doubt anyone does that nowadays, or it would be 33% as mentioned above.

EBH

Jul 27, 2017 at 09:54 PM
marklankton
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Sorry to hear that you need to do this, but I've made similar decisions about other gear as I've (strangely) gotten older. A few years ago I sold a bunch of unwanted cameras and lenses that I had inherited to Adorama. I got in touch with them ahead of time, packed everything up and sent it for their evaluation, and in the end received a check. I'm sure I did not get top dollar but that was not the point of the exercise. It was easy.
Mark

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:19 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Here in OZ (actually, Western Australia) there is minimal second-hand market. Most dealers don't want the pro stuff, and those who do will offer no more than 25% of replacement value - even as a trade-in on new gear that I don't really want.

I haven't even got friends who'd appreciate the gear enough to want to use it free.

And people still talk of "investing in lenses".

Jul 28, 2017 at 08:52 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Dumping the Photo Gear

EB-1 wrote:
I used eBay for some years (had about 55 transactions), but my understanding is that even individual sellers are treated as a business and expected to warranty products through the PayPal. I think my eBay account expired a few years ago, so it's probably not realistic anyway. I was ripped off by a PlayPal screw-up and it took months to get my money back, so they are out.

EBH

I sell on ebay quite often--there is absolutely no expectation of me warranting anything. It simply has to match the photos I provide and description. Send the stuff to Adorama or wherever, see what they offer. Then PM me--good chance I'll offer you 500 bucks more cash. I'll immediately turn around and sell it for a big profit on ebay, of course.
I'm serious--I see a chance to make some nice $$ here.

Kent in SD

Jul 28, 2017 at 05:34 PM
MizOre

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Dumping the Photo Gear

When I moved to Nicaragua, I sold my gear to local camera shops after getting only a fraudulent offer from a would-be scammer answering my Craig's List ad for a old Hasselblad and lens. If you're just trying to get things gone and don't want to hassle the individual buyers, the local stores that sell used are one way to go and generally cut a check as soon as they accept the items. Otherwise, if I were selling gear in the US, I'd go with B&H, KEH, or any other large internet store that sold used goods.

Sometimes, the point is getting it gone, and making some money in the process. When that's the case, selling to the stores works best.

I ended up selling my car back to the dealership. I'd paid cash for it and got a reasonable price for it with an additional refund from the extended warranty. The dealership would be able to get a better price for it and they could keep it in inventory easier than I could.

Giving gear to charities can get you a tax write off if you need to get rid of things that don't have high market value.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:43 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I would avoid selling on eBay, particularly if the desire is a hassle free experience. You are practically guaranteed to get a whiny/scammy buyer if you have 10+ items for sale. Not to mention the rape you will take on the PP and eBay fees, something on the order of 15% off the top.

A Craigslist ad is likely to solicit a lot of stupid inquiries and scam attempts. I typically mitigate this by stating in the ad that any inquiries should be accompanied by a call-back telephone number and the name of a favorite local restaurant. This weeds out the obvious scammers and the morons who don't bother reading the description and ask questions that are clearly already answered. Still a decent amount of hassle.

Selling here is by far the most hassle-free option IMO. If you are willing to take eBay type bottom line prices, just list them here for the bottom line eBay price and watch them go in a day. Never had a problem with any transaction here, and if I were dealing with someone like you I would sell them a $2k lens on a handshake and the promise to pay.

Sorry that you find yourself in a difficult situation. Best of luck.

Jul 29, 2017 at 02:28 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I have my daughter in the UK sell any stuff on EBay UK that I can't dispose of in China for a reasonable price, giving her a small stipend that she's happy with. I would be surprised if you can't find a student living nearby who would absolutely love to handle that for you for say 20-25% of the value (this could be big money for them). Maybe even the local school/college would permit you to put a notice up on their noticeboard.

All you have to supply are the descriptions and maybe photos (though you could have them find out how to do it on the internet and handle that for you too). You don't have to give them all of your lenses at once, devise a system that works for you both re. advertising / payments / packaging etc.

Sorry to hear of your situation.

Jul 29, 2017 at 06:02 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I hope everything works out okay - sales, and more importantly life.

Jul 29, 2017 at 06:54 AM
ross attix
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Dumping the Photo Gear

This reminds me of the "Good, fast and cheap." expression. Which 2 do you want?

Either sell it off piecemeal privately using FM or some other market, and realize something close to full used value, OR pack it up, send it off to one of the vendors mentioned, and be happy with 50-60% on the dollar. Those are the choices.

Jul 29, 2017 at 06:59 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Sorry to hear about your situation EB-1. I hope that you'll continue to post here as I've enjoyed your posts.

Personally I'd eBay the stuff, item by item, one at a time. Check out the going prices, I'm amazed at how high the winning prices are. It's almost like people just want to win the bid versus buying the product. And I've had a little success there.

Of course FM would be an alternative, perhaps not quite as much price wise but you have the opportunity to see the buyer's rating if they're active and for the most part it seems like a more decent market place with more trustworthy customers, just my imho. I've purchased a few items here and it has been as described, no misgivings at all.

Edited on Jul 29, 2017 at 08:06 AM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2017 at 07:29 AM
Dale Kirchhofer
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I have had great success with ww.mpb.com. I've sold 1 body and 4 lenses(as a group) with them Fill out their quote form, they usually reply within 1-2 days, some times same day. If you accept their quote they will email you a pre-paid FedX label. Once they receive the gear they will confirm quoted price or possibly raise or lower it depending on their assessment of the condition. If you accept they will pay you via direct deposit. You can back out at any time. I'm sending them another lens today.

dale

Jul 29, 2017 at 07:39 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Dumping the Photo Gear

chez wrote:
Going to a store like Adorama or B&H...you will be getting 75 cents on the dollar for what your equipment is worth...at the best. Depending on what you have...if you have some high dollar items, I'd sell those individually either here or on e-bay and take the low cost items to the store.

Every quote I've ever received from Adorama or BH has been 50% on the dollar. ...I've never sold to them because the hit is just too big

Jul 29, 2017 at 06:00 PM
fsphoto

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Dumping the Photo Gear

KEH often has buying road trips.
They set up at a camera store or photo event in various locations around the country. Check with them as to when and if they might be near you.

I recently sold a bunch of gear to them at one of these events.
Did I get top dollar? Not even close. Was it easy? Very much so.

Jul 29, 2017 at 06:51 PM
Betacamman
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Dumping the Photo Gear

EB-1 wrote:
What was that show, the 40 Year Old Virgin, where the woman was in that business? I doubt anyone does that nowadays, or it would be 33% as mentioned above.

EBH

eBay Valet -- ship them your stuff, they sell it for you, and you get 70% of the sale. While I wouldn't do it for one or two items, it's possible that for a lot of items, it'd come out better than trying to resell to KEH, etc.

Jul 29, 2017 at 08:23 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Betacamman wrote:
eBay Valet -- ship them your stuff, they sell it for you, and you get 70% of the sale. While I wouldn't do it for one or two items, it's possible that for a lot of items, it'd come out better than trying to resell to KEH, etc.

Here's the eBay Valet URL http://www.ebay.com/s/valet?rmvSB=true The commissions run between 20% and 75%.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:41 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Dale Kirchhofe wrote:
I have had great success with ww.mpb.com. I've sold 1 body and 4 lenses(as a group) with them Fill out their quote form, they usually reply within 1-2 days, some times same day. If you accept their quote they will email you a pre-paid FedX label. Once they receive the gear they will confirm quoted price or possibly raise or lower it depending on their assessment of the condition. If you accept they will pay you via direct deposit. You can back out at any time. I'm sending them another lens today.

dale

I've used them in the UK. Prices are generally the same or better than I'd get selling them to a camera shop here in Shanghai. Efficient, easy. They do inspect the lenses very thoroughly though - I had a Tamron 15-30 they said was showing the beginnings of mould, I'd only had it a year ! I asked them to re-check, they did and confirmed it and refused to buy it.

However be honest with your grading, they have only offered their lower on 2 of the lenses I sent, I refused their lower price and they promptly shipped them back.

I've sold 5-6 lenses and 2 cameras to them.

Jul 30, 2017 at 01:37 AM
robertr

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Dumping the Photo Gear

KEH is no better than a pawn shop.

Jul 30, 2017 at 05:53 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Dumping the Photo Gear

fsphoto wrote:
KEH often has buying road trips.
They set up at a camera store or photo event in various locations around the country. Check with them as to when and if they might be near you.

I recently sold a bunch of gear to them at one of these events.
Did I get top dollar? Not even close. Was it easy? Very much so.

They come through my town every summer. I've taken stuff there three times (years,) just to see. They were offering about 25% to 35% of what I eventually got selling the stuff myself. The last time I went I decided to have some fun. I brought a Voigtlander Petzval from 1847, an 1878 Darlot lens in Prosch shutter, a pristine 1909 Kodak Panoram No.1, a 1910 stereo Kodak Brownie, and an 1872 Dallmeyer portrait lens. All told the stuff was worth about $3,500 on buy/sell forums such as http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?25-LF-Forums or APUG . They ended up offering me $200, mainly because none of the stuff I brought appeared on the value sheets in their computer. I declined.

Jul 30, 2017 at 08:29 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.