New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Dumping the Photo Gear

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dumping the Photo Gear

The time has come to rid myself of most all photo equipment.

The question is where can I sell l this with the least hassle. My first thought was KEH, BH, or the Adormama, but there doesn't seem to be a process for bulk. Has anyone been in the same situation? I don't want to deal with individuals buying a piece at a time, PayPal and all that crap.

Thanks,
EBH

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dumping the Photo Gear

can't say I have. not being a collector of gear the problem hasn't arisen. I have no doubt if you contact any of the above mentioned they may work with you to ease your pain.

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I'm not a collector. I'm on the way to being the hoarder.
One of the concerns is having records. Without receipts will they think I am a robber or something?

EBH

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dumping the Photo Gear

You could consider an eBay reseller, or a local camera shop that sells used gear (if you're lucky enough to have one nearby).

EB-1 wrote:
... Without receipts will they think I am a robber or something?

Just refer them to FM. We'll put in a good word for you.

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:15 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Going to a store like Adorama or B&H...you will be getting 75 cents on the dollar for what your equipment is worth...at the best. Depending on what you have...if you have some high dollar items, I'd sell those individually either here or on e-bay and take the low cost items to the store.

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:31 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I sold a batch of lenses + bodies to Adorama and a lens to KEH and wasn't asked for receipts or other proof of ownership. And as Chez says, they pay pretty low and grade equipment pretty stringently. From a seller perspective I'd try another outlet, but from a buyer perspective, you can really trust what they say (I've bought used from KEH).

You could try KEH and National Camera as well as Adorama and B&H. I've never done a comparison, but you may do better at one than another.

eBay's a good option, depending on how many copies of what you have are available at the time. A lot of copies of your lens, for example, will probably increase the selling time unless you drop the price. That's one reason for selling to one of the above: I'd bet that their pricing takes resell time into account.

Craig's List is another option, but I've had zero luck there, and prices I see asked for there are often too high for what they're selling.

Have you tried listing in the FM selling forum?

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:41 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Just out of interest, what is motivating this clearout?

Jul 27, 2017 at 06:18 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I sold some gear a couple years ago through a local camera store. That was before I got good at selling on eBay. In hindsight, I would have made twice at least what they gave me had I sold through eBay. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not that hard and you can get top dollar. There also are lots of good sites that map out the basics for how to present and sell gear. I should point out to that I'm not in the business of selling gear so I don't offer returns on my ads, but that doesn't stop people from buying my stuff. They know that if I misrepresented the sale, they would get their money back whether or not I offered returns.

As a previous poster noted, half the battle is finding out what it's actually worth based on how many other ones are for sale, and what things have sold for. I used to use auctions, but now I sell exclusively at fixed-price, sometimes using the make an offer setting. Mostly I don't bother with making offer because it just attracts pointless low ballers.

Jul 27, 2017 at 06:44 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Given that the OP stated firmly that he doesn't "want to deal with individuals buying a piece at a time, PayPal and all that crap" he's unlikely to sell on eBay. Also anyone who contemplates selling on eBay needs to familiarize themselves with the current fee structure to avoid a nasty surprise. I'm happy buying on eBay but I stopped selling there years ago.

Jul 27, 2017 at 07:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dumping the Photo Gear

15Bit wrote:
Just out of interest, what is motivating this clearout?

I have a lot of problems, not to be mentioned at this point.
Essentially my ability to travel most likely will be quite limited in the next few years.
By then I may not be feasible.

EBH

Jul 27, 2017 at 07:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Next time I'll just throw it in the dumpster.

I e-mailed Adorama, B&H and Samys used departments and got no response, even tho I'd filled-out all of their required forms. OC Camera http://stores.ebay.com/OC-camera?rmvSB=true responded that what I wanted to sell was too slow moving for them to be interested. They seem to be looking for high-demand gear in Mint- condition

The online resellers I've talked to want a 1/3 commission

I really, really dislike the selling process, and also having to deal with PayPal. So, into the dumpster, it will go.

Jul 27, 2017 at 07:21 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dumping the Photo Gear

EB-1 wrote:
I have a lot of problems, not to be mentioned at this point.
Essentially my ability to travel most likely will be quite limited in the next few years.
By then I may not be feasible.

EBH

I'm sorry to hear that.

Jul 27, 2017 at 07:30 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I did read the OP. Sometimes when you post you get different ideas than you were looking for. That happens to me all the time.

Anyway, almost every option will involve work. If the OP wants as painless as possible and still get some money then the best option is find the nearest mom and pop camera place with a good used inventory, spread everything out on the counter and haggle for the best package deal for the lot.

peter_n wrote:
Given that the OP stated firmly that he doesn't "want to deal with individuals buying a piece at a time, PayPal and all that crap" he's unlikely to sell on eBay. Also anyone who contemplates selling on eBay needs to familiarize themselves with the current fee structure to avoid a nasty surprise. I'm happy buying on eBay but I stopped selling there years ago.

Jul 27, 2017 at 08:17 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Amazon is useless. One lens rejected because it would not zoom. (Zoom lock was engaged) One rejected because it would not focus. (It got set to manual focus) One they claimed had a major crack in the body. It didn't when it left here, but it came back with one. The lens was only a 55-200 I tried selling on another site for 30 bucks and it didn't move. Lesson learned.

Everything I send to KEH gets knocked down to bargain grade and gets 20 cents on the dollar. Somehow they get a lifetime of wear sitting on a shelf. Now you know how KEH gets all those beautiful lenses.

Next I will try B&H to see what happens.

Jul 27, 2017 at 08:46 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dumping the Photo Gear

EBH,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Send me everything and I'll sell it here and forward you the proceeds, less a mutually-agreed upon commission .

Jul 27, 2017 at 09:55 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Here's my $0.02.

Consider selling everything together in a Craigslist ad, making sure to mention that you won't separate items.

Or, to avoid the hassles you're worried about, see if you can find someone to list the items for you on eBay (and elsewhere), have that person arrange for the packing and shipping, etc. You can pay them a percentage of what is sold. I did this once for someone with a large number of items to sell (I even had to do research for the descriptions) but it worked out pretty well for both of us.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:04 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dumping the Photo Gear

chez wrote:
Going to a store like Adorama or B&H...you will be getting 75 cents on the dollar for what your equipment is worth...at the best..

More like 40 cents. There is no way I'd go that route. Either list it here on the buy & sell, or sell on ebay. Otherwise you are leaving thousands of dollars on the table. Ebay isn't difficult--read up on it a little. Finally, no one person is going to buy everything, unless you are practically giving it away. If you have anything pre-WW2, or especially pre-1860, I might be interested.

Kent in SD

Edited on Jul 28, 2017 at 12:24 AM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:18 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dumping the Photo Gear

EBH,
I'm also sorry to hear about your troubles. I would just go through Adorama or B&H if you want simple and are willing to not get top used dollar. I know you have a lot of stuff in your closet...what is it 4 or 5 100-400 lenses now?

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:20 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dumping the Photo Gear

Thinking a bit more, you might have some trouble selling on ebay if you have zero sales history. Few people will take a chance on a new seller with no feedback history. It's a bit better if you at least have a 100% history of buying. Even so, you will still get thousands more going this route than selling to KEH etc. Your best route is going to be (1) sell here on FM (2) find an ebay reseller (3) sell on ebay yourself, starting with lowest dollar item and working your way up.

I will also mention that NOW is the time to sell used gear. After about September the value takes a seasonal dip, with the low point being February.

Kent in SD

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dumping the Photo Gear

I used eBay for some years (had about 55 transactions), but my understanding is that even individual sellers are treated as a business and expected to warranty products through the PayPal. I think my eBay account expired a few years ago, so it's probably not realistic anyway. I was ripped off by a PlayPal screw-up and it took months to get my money back, so they are out.

EBH

Jul 28, 2017 at 02:39 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password