New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Aug 21 solar eclipse

FunkyPDB
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

Hey everyone. I thought it might be a good idea to get a thread going on this topic. Will you be photographing this event and from where? I've never shot an eclipse and unfortunately won't get to benefit from the total eclipse since I live in California. Any tips on shooting or location advice for a wide angle shot in Southern California? I was thinking I might drive out to the desert as hot as that will be!

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:30 PM
Ear Mountain
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

I'll be in Idaho Falls where the eclipse will go through totality. I've decided to completely enjoy the experience of the eclipse and will not spend time on photography.

Jul 31, 2017 at 09:28 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

FunkyPDB wrote:
Hey everyone. I thought it might be a good idea to get a thread going on this topic. Will you be photographing this event and from where? I've never shot an eclipse and unfortunately won't get to benefit from the total eclipse since I live in California. Any tips on shooting or location advice for a wide angle shot in Southern California? I was thinking I might drive out to the desert as hot as that will be!

I would be curious how one would shoot the eclipse with a WA lens. As cool as that might sound, how actually would one accomplish that, and how actually would it look? If you are using a filter to block the sun, then everything else is going to be totally black in your frame, if you aren't using a filter and just letting the sun blow out highlights and cause all kinds of lens flares, how will you even know it's an eclipse?

So many people seem very excited about the solar eclipse, but I am seriously trying to wrap my head around how I would shoot it.

Jim

Jul 31, 2017 at 09:59 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

From what I've seen, you can take a shot with a solar filter (or a sequence if you prefer) and then wait for the sun to move out of the frame to capture the landscape shot. At that point you can layer on the eclipse.

To me, the downside on this one is that the sun will be so high in the sky (at least on the west coast) that the focal length required to get both the sun and the landscape will be so wide as to make the sun too small to be interesting - even if eclipsed.

I'll be in Oregon and plan to just zoom into the action.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:42 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

Maybe-
In California, something wider than 24mm full frame fov oriented vertically should do. In the East you'd have to go wider.
Cut away most of the paper from one side of a pair of eclipse glasses. You now have a little piece of solar film with a small frame to hold it and keep it rigid.
Looking at your live view screen, frame your wide angle view with the sun in it.
Place the eclipse filter between the sun and your camera at arm's length.
The sun should be properly exposed relative to the landscape.
Bracket a few exposures and see what you get.
This only works for very wide angle shots. If you use a longer focal length, you'll burn your shutter, mirror, sensor, and maybe even your eyeball if you have an optical viewfinder.
Never look at the sun directly without a properly certified visual solar filter. All filters have to be at the very front of your lens/optical equipment.

Aug 01, 2017 at 02:09 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

kylebarendrick wrote:
From what I've seen, you can take a shot with a solar filter (or a sequence if you prefer) and then wait for the sun to move out of the frame to capture the landscape shot. At that point you can layer on the eclipse.

To me, the downside on this one is that the sun will be so high in the sky (at least on the west coast) that the focal length required to get both the sun and the landscape will be so wide as to make the sun too small to be interesting - even if eclipsed.

I'll be
...Show more

Hey Kyle,

The problem is with that type of layering is shooting with the filter will render the sky black, so to then try and blend that in with a landscape shot later that has a blue sky just seems to be heading towards a lot of issues.

I agree, the best approach is to just zoom in probably and not shoot WA.

Jim

Aug 01, 2017 at 02:37 AM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

You all know how tiny the moon appears in a landscape unless you use a big telephoto lens. Well, it's not going to get any bigger during the eclipse. To expand on what Kyle says, in addition, the few minutes of total eclipse will be high overhead in the sky. (Totality occurs about 10:18am on the West Coast and about 2:47pm on the East Coast.) This will limit the landscape features you can include in the telephoto shot, unless the features are trees, canyon slots, and other nearby, tall objects. Because the land objects are nearby, you will probably have to stack your focussing, fake the composition, or accept a blurred foreground or blurred eclipse. To me, a teeny spot of an eclipse high above a mountain, with a lot of sky in between and around wouldn't be much of an image--but I'd be glad if someone finds a clever way to make a landscape work with this eclipse being a decent size in the frame.

Aug 01, 2017 at 03:58 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

Hoping to be fairly high up in the mountains, with a view of at least some distant horizons. As I understand it, the effect of viewing the distant, brightly lit land is sorta similar to a 360 degree sunset. I do plan a 360 pano of the sky. Also thinking of some fill flash shots of relatives, perhaps with the corona high overhead.

Aug 01, 2017 at 05:48 AM
KSgal

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

I plan on doing both wide angle with one camera, and the zoom in with another, and then blending the frames to enlarge the eclipse without making it look unrealistic. But most of all I'll drop everything at some point half way thru totality and just experience the event. Be stupid to miss it!

Aug 01, 2017 at 02:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

IF my eclipse viewing location is peaceful, not crowded with strangers and under control security-wise, my small collection of 3 digital still cameras will be humming away on intervalometers while I watch totality through binoculars and with the naked eye.
At least one with a wide angle, one with a longish tele(300mm on APS-C), an one TBD. I'll have to reach down to change the shutter speeds on the tele cam during the 2 minutes of totality, if I remember to do it. The long lenses will be pre-focused using a cheap thin-film solar filter.
Oh, and also I hope to run video on an iPhone w/wide converter with a real microphone plugged into it as a video souvenir of the occasion.
I have absolutely no interest in photographing the partial phases, only totality.
There'll probably be way more interesting photos generated on the trip than at the eclipse itself.

Aug 03, 2017 at 09:32 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

I'm going to drive up into remote Wyoming with my Jeep. Get somewhere with no people, and just observe the animals and experience it laying on the hood of my Jeep.

That last eclipse, on May 20th 2012, many called the "Ring of Fire" I managed to see down on Muley Point, and there were quite a few people in that location.

The best thing that happens is the light changes for the surrounding landscape and I got a few interesting shots of that. Now that I look at the actual eclipse picture, it seems sort of stupid to me.

Aug 03, 2017 at 05:29 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

Ear Mountain wrote:
I'll be in Idaho Falls where the eclipse will go through totality. I've decided to completely enjoy the experience of the eclipse and will not spend time on photography.

good luck! I read that a lot of the counties down here are sending up port-a-potties to Idaho Falls as they are expecting half a million people there. Super crazy. hopefully you find a good spot though

Aug 04, 2017 at 03:29 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

Unless you own one of those white lab coats, the eclipse is going to be best experienced at a sports bar. The hype is just nuts. For pitty sake, it gets dark every night.

Aug 06, 2017 at 03:04 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

Tim Knutson wrote:
Unless you own one of those white lab coats, the eclipse is going to be best experienced at a sports bar. The hype is just nuts. For pitty sake, it gets dark every night.

Our local emergency management has already warned us to expect the unexpected, to purchase all food well ahead, plan for disruption of cell service, possible loss of power, snarled traffic, all from the influx of the masses. Chances are here in the Smokies it will be cloudy, as many an August afternoon can be with the usual buildup of showers.

Aug 06, 2017 at 09:21 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

It's going to be the biggest event since Y2K !

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:53 AM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

would this work? https://www.adorama.com/vxsgawls86.html

for on Sigma 150-600 C?

I need a answer ASAP, thank you all.

Aug 15, 2017 at 04:43 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Aug 21 solar eclipse

It was incredible in southeasternish TN!
Didn't have an eclipse filter for the camera, but did get a few shots during totality (where even ISO 200 and 400 and a decent shutter speed were easy to get). Totality was shockingly amazing! So much more than what photos show. The dynamic range is so much more intense than you see from pics in print or on monitors (an HDR one would help, but still it's not the same thing).

Mostly just watched it and soaked it in.

Shortest 2m38s in my life. Felt like 20 seconds, maybe.

More magically wild than anything you've ever seen in any sci-fi movie.
As soon as totality hit, BOOM the lights just went out and it was suddenly a zillion times darker than even at 99.8%. The dimming was quite gradual until it was probably around 98% and then it become darker at a much more noticeably clip, bit then the second totality hit, BOOM, in like 2 seconds the light just went away like that. Planets appeared. 360 sunset. Giant silkworm moths. Earlier on their cicadas that seem to only come out during deep twilight came out and went mad and then super mad right before totality and then quiet again later on.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:49 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password