FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Future of XQD Cards

Blakehfreeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Future of XQD Cards

What I read is they bought the company name... not the whole company, ala Kodak. So, I might actually be more careful buying their cards in the future as they could be an unknown quality. **Just what I read regarding the sale**

la puffin wrote:
I don't think anyone mentioned that Longsys has bought Lexar. We'll probably see new stock of Lexar cards including XQD sooner rather than later. Given that they are four bodies that use XQD and many of these are used professionally, worldwide (Japan and S Korea are huge) numbers add up.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:19 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Future of XQD Cards

Blakehfreeman wrote:
What I read is they bought the company name... not the whole company, ala Kodak. So, I might actually be more careful buying their cards in the future as they could be an unknown quality. **Just what I read regarding the sale**

Yes, you're right. Do you know if Micron hand their hands in production or did they just own the name too? I just checked an XQD and it was made in Taiwan.

"Longsys on Thursday announced that it has acquired the Lexar brand name from Micron. The China-based supplier of NAND flash memory-based products will use the trademark to sell Lexar’s traditional devices — removable storage like memory cards and USB flash drives. The company believes that going forward usage of removable storage will expand."

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:26 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Future of XQD Cards

sjms wrote:
and we all are so proud of you too.

Thank you!

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Future of XQD Cards

why you're welcome.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:40 AM
reggieb
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Future of XQD Cards

la puffin wrote:
Yes, you're right. Do you know if Micron hand their hands in production or did they just own the name too? I just checked an XQD and it was made in Taiwan.

Then I don't think Sony was making them - my Sony cards are made in Japan. I am pretty sure Micron manufactured them.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:33 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Future of XQD Cards

la puffin wrote:

"Longsys on Thursday announced that it has acquired the Lexar brand name from Micron. The China-based supplier of NAND flash memory-based products will use the trademark to sell Lexar’s traditional devices — removable storage like memory cards and USB flash drives. The company believes that going forward usage of removable storage will expand."

Lexar was an independent technology developer in the flash memory industry for years before micron purchased them I believe in 2008. Their "specialty" was memory controllers. R&D was in house production was external.

Delkin is a US based independent card developer too

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:36 AM
tek9
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Future of XQD Cards

CFExpress is boasting 'same form factor and connector as XQD'. I can't find any statements about backward compatibility with XQD though - it's there / it's not there? Thoughts?

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Future of XQD Cards

well if your going to use the technology from XQD along with the form factor and and connector i'd be looking towards it being possibly compatible. it was sort of the idea moving forward though some think something else

Sep 27, 2017 at 09:08 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Future of XQD Cards

It's the same base technology so my assumption would be that these devices and readers would accept xqd cards, but xqd devices wouldn't accept these cards... just my guess.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Future of XQD Cards

if it is not compatible it will be notched as such and not fit in the slot.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tek9
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Future of XQD Cards

I'm hoping it will be backwards compatible. Possibly slower but still working. Like using UHS-II in UHS-I slot.

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:00 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Future of XQD Cards

The first available CFExpress reader is also an XQD reader. Not sure if that will carry over to actual cameras.
https://www.atechflash.com/blackjet-vx1cxq

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Future of XQD Cards

if it reads it it writes to it.

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:35 AM
mrgetalife
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Future of XQD Cards

sjms wrote:
Lexar was an independent technology developer in the flash memory industry for years before micron purchased them I believe in 2008. Their "specialty" was memory controllers. R&D was in house production was external.

Delkin is a US based independent card developer too

I was at the PDN Photo show today. The Lexar had reps there. They pretty much had zero product to show. But the rep did mention that a lot of the current Lexar staff was transferring over to the new brand owner. So it's not a Sandisk / WD move where they bought and dumped non-essential staff. So there being a Future for Lexar looks a little brighter.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Future of XQD Cards

i'll be there tomorrow

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:38 PM
tek9
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Future of XQD Cards

hoping that supply of lexar xqd will resume soon. Adorama has no idea when all the backordered cards will be in stock. B&H simply discontinued lexar xqd cards.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:45 PM
guitardirky
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Future of XQD Cards

Sony isnt going to kill it off. They have video cameras that require them. The FS7 for one uses them.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:13 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Future of XQD Cards

The company that bought lexar bought the name only... what stock does return may be totally different product... be cautious.

tek9 wrote:
hoping that supply of lexar xqd will resume soon. Adorama has no idea when all the backordered cards will be in stock. B&H simply discontinued lexar xqd cards.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:17 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Future of XQD Cards

FUD, doom and gloom. oh woe is me. the sky is falling.

who knows the stuff they return with might actually be better.

and the other shoe drops:
Instead of killing Lexar completely, Micron actually sold the division to flash manufacturer Shenzhen Longsys Electronics Co., Ltd. This was convenient for both Longsys and Lexar – since Longsys has been a supplier of Lexar’s memory products for some time.

ref: http://www.photographybay.com/2017/10/26/lexar-is-not-dead/#more-68241

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:22 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Future of XQD Cards

i spent a little bit of time with Mr. Mein of Lexar. his position is the National Account Director, Photo and Specialty. meet the new boss, same as the old boss. he held the same position under micron for Lexar.

here's what's going on:
- the issues with Micron and the parting of the ways have been slow and tedious and micron was for the most part the issue. a whole lotta who what when how and why.

- Longsys has been one of the sources that actually made Lexar memory cards (really, did anyone think Lexar or Micron made these themselves?) product will remain the same.

- in the next 3-4 weeks product will start showing back up at the usual locations. product is such as before including XQD. i also asked about CFexpress cards and was told they too will arrive but later down line. THEY WILL BE BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE TO EXISTING XQD 2 COMPLIANT PRODUCTS. some people just don't get it. DA's

- B&H showed Lexar goods as discontinued because in reality they will be dealing with a new source of distribution. the old source/product has been discontinued. everything old is new again

- they're just getting together a new website too. they just got around to contracting the designer

the reason why they attended this and other shows was to insure users that they are still there in the game.

Edited on Oct 28, 2017 at 01:42 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2017 at 07:35 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password