FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Future of XQD Cards

Blakehfreeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Future of XQD Cards

What I read is they bought the company name... not the whole company, ala Kodak. So, I might actually be more careful buying their cards in the future as they could be an unknown quality. **Just what I read regarding the sale**

la puffin wrote:
I don't think anyone mentioned that Longsys has bought Lexar. We'll probably see new stock of Lexar cards including XQD sooner rather than later. Given that they are four bodies that use XQD and many of these are used professionally, worldwide (Japan and S Korea are huge) numbers add up.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:19 AM
la puffin
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Future of XQD Cards

Blakehfreeman wrote:
What I read is they bought the company name... not the whole company, ala Kodak. So, I might actually be more careful buying their cards in the future as they could be an unknown quality. **Just what I read regarding the sale**

Yes, you're right. Do you know if Micron hand their hands in production or did they just own the name too? I just checked an XQD and it was made in Taiwan.

"Longsys on Thursday announced that it has acquired the Lexar brand name from Micron. The China-based supplier of NAND flash memory-based products will use the trademark to sell Lexar’s traditional devices — removable storage like memory cards and USB flash drives. The company believes that going forward usage of removable storage will expand."

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:26 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Future of XQD Cards

sjms wrote:
and we all are so proud of you too.

Thank you!

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Future of XQD Cards

why you're welcome.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:40 AM
reggieb
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Future of XQD Cards

la puffin wrote:
Yes, you're right. Do you know if Micron hand their hands in production or did they just own the name too? I just checked an XQD and it was made in Taiwan.

Then I don't think Sony was making them - my Sony cards are made in Japan. I am pretty sure Micron manufactured them.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:33 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Future of XQD Cards

la puffin wrote:

"Longsys on Thursday announced that it has acquired the Lexar brand name from Micron. The China-based supplier of NAND flash memory-based products will use the trademark to sell Lexar’s traditional devices — removable storage like memory cards and USB flash drives. The company believes that going forward usage of removable storage will expand."

Lexar was an independent technology developer in the flash memory industry for years before micron purchased them I believe in 2008. Their "specialty" was memory controllers. R&D was in house production was external.

Delkin is a US based independent card developer too

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:36 AM
tek9

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Future of XQD Cards

CFExpress is boasting 'same form factor and connector as XQD'. I can't find any statements about backward compatibility with XQD though - it's there / it's not there? Thoughts?

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Future of XQD Cards

well if your going to use the technology from XQD along with the form factor and and connector i'd be looking towards it being possibly compatible. it was sort of the idea moving forward though some think something else

Sep 27, 2017 at 09:08 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Future of XQD Cards

It's the same base technology so my assumption would be that these devices and readers would accept xqd cards, but xqd devices wouldn't accept these cards... just my guess.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Future of XQD Cards

if it is not compatible it will be notched as such and not fit in the slot.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:55 AM
tek9

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Future of XQD Cards

I'm hoping it will be backwards compatible. Possibly slower but still working. Like using UHS-II in UHS-I slot.

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:00 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Future of XQD Cards

The first available CFExpress reader is also an XQD reader. Not sure if that will carry over to actual cameras.
https://www.atechflash.com/blackjet-vx1cxq

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Future of XQD Cards

if it reads it it writes to it.

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:35 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2