New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Future of XQD Cards

shekarn64
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Future of XQD Cards

Now that Sony is the only manufacturer of this card, will Nikon still use this as their main storage? What if Sony decides to pull it off?

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:59 AM
mawz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Future of XQD Cards

Sony's not likely to stop making them anytime soon (IIRC Sony still makes their Memory Stick cards in small quantities). memory formfactors have a tendency to hang around long after they're mostly dead, and Sony tends to keep them in production well past their death in the market.

Nikon will likely transition to the new CFExpress cards when they become available. They may even be backwards compatible with XQD for the XQD users. CFExpress will most likely replace both XQD and CFast when it starts shipping in quantity.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:15 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Future of XQD Cards

Don't care. I have 6 for my (2) D500's so I'm probably set 'til I croak.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:17 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Future of XQD Cards

When the D4 arrived with XQD Sony was the only manufacturer of the cards. Nothing new here. All of Sony's recent video cameras I have looked at include two XQD slots.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:59 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Future of XQD Cards

Damn if Lexar go, will we be stuck with Sony's overpriced and much slower XQD cards as only source? That would blow chunks.

Jul 27, 2017 at 01:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Future of XQD Cards

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Damn if Lexar go, will we be stuck with Sony's overpriced and much slower XQD cards as only source? That would blow chunks.

in the US I use both and in the real world there is no noticeable difference. oh yeah, $10 difference at B&H as of today.

Jul 27, 2017 at 01:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Future of XQD Cards

shekarn64 wrote:
Now that Sony is the only manufacturer of this card, will Nikon still use this as their main storage? What if Sony decides to pull it off?

oh by the way, Sony no longer controls XQD as a technology. that is in the hands of the CFA. it is technically open source and has been for awhile.

sonys video products use it and Nikon uses it

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:12 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Future of XQD Cards

Pixel Perfect wrote:

Lexar is gone. It's pining for the fjords.

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:25 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Future of XQD Cards

sjms wrote:
oh by the way, Sony no longer controls XQD as a technology. that is in the hands of the CFA. it is technically open source and has been for awhile.

sonys video products use it and Nikon uses it

Sony never controlled it. It was a co-development by Sandisk, Sony and Nikon and was turned over to the CFA shortly after the format was announced in late 2010, and before the spec was fully defined.

Sandisk never released any products for some reason.

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:28 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Future of XQD Cards

If Nikon keeps on with XQD I wouldn't be surprised if Sandisk starts making them now. Sony should have shown some support and put one or two in the A9.

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Future of XQD Cards

the A9 is still a product of compromise

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:37 PM
runakid
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Future of XQD Cards

I guess it might be a good time to wait on buying a new D500 until the dust settles.

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Future of XQD Cards

that's short thinking. XQD is here to stay. it is in product. it is the chosen path to replace CF by the CFA. it functions really well.

it is fun to listen to FUD though.

Jul 27, 2017 at 02:51 PM
shekarn64
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Future of XQD Cards

Pixel Perfect wrote:

Are Sony cards really slow?

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Future of XQD Cards

mawz wrote:
Sony never controlled it. It was a co-development by Sandisk, Sony and Nikon and was turned over to the CFA shortly after the format was announced in late 2010, and before the spec was fully defined.

Sandisk never released any products for some reason.

because they thought CFast was the way at the time. minimal retooling for the fab and both sides of the interface. XQD was a big change in thinking

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:25 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Future of XQD Cards

shekarn64 wrote:
Are Sony cards really slow?

No. And a faster card will add nothing to a D5/D500 use. Any "G" Sony card will give you an uninterrupted 200 shot burst, which is all the body will permit. Downloading onto a computer is very fast, if the computer has a fast port.

Jul 27, 2017 at 04:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Future of XQD Cards

Lexar 2933x 440MB/s tested in a D5 292.9MB/s Lexar makes no defined statement if this rating is R or W

Sony original G series 400MB/s tested in a D5 273.9MB/s
(be advised this is the 1st gen G series card an has since been replaced by a newer G series card rated at R440MB/s W400MB/s as of this time no related testing done)

Ref: http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d5/fastest-xqd-cards/

Jul 27, 2017 at 05:08 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Future of XQD Cards

XQD's future is so bright we have to wear ND filters to see it.

Jul 27, 2017 at 05:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Future of XQD Cards

how many stops?

Jul 27, 2017 at 05:31 PM
reggieb
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Future of XQD Cards

sjms wrote:
that's short thinking. XQD is here to stay. it is in product. it is the chosen path to replace CF by the CFA. it functions really well.

it is fun to listen to FUD though.

No, it isn't the "Chosen path the replace CF..."

CFExpress is based on PCIE like XQD, but it's not the same thing, so to say that XQD won't die because of CFE is just wishful thinking.

Now, maybe CFE slots will be able to read XQD cards, that would be nice, but I don't think XQD will be around all that much longer. That said, I have enough cards and readers that it just isn't a problem for me.

Jul 27, 2017 at 05:35 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password