New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

XQD vs SD

bs kite
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XQD vs SD

I do not get the excitement over XQD.

Why would you want something bigger than SD?

What don't you like about SD cards?

IMHO SD cards are the perfect option:

SIZE: Not too small or too large.

SPEED: More than enough for my D500's RAW output capacity.

IMO manufacturers are making a mistake transitioning from SD to XQD.

Robert

Jul 27, 2017 at 08:05 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XQD vs SD

to begin with a basic understanding of the data flow within the products that use and would use these memory devices helps. one would then see the advantages of one over the other.
PATA, SATA, Serial, PCIe

XQD is, as it is today, a considerably more robust package. performance is higher by a considerable margin.

SD cards are not robustly built and they rarely perform as advertised not just because of them but also because what they are plugged into.

you say that your SD is fast enough for "your" usage. but then you are looking from your only perspective. you are lucky that you have one of the few products that actually does foster a reasonable level of performance from SD. but, it comes at a price. it still holds the overall camera performance back.

actually they are not moving from SD to XQD. they are moving from CF to XQD. now that is not saying that SD will not be challenged by XQD. the CF steering group (the competing org to the SD group) has chosen XQD as the tech to replace CF and the form factor will be varied as it adopted. there will be options in size and form factor. the technology in the design is more open ended the SD and will allow high functionality and operation.

CF- end of life product. has always outperformed SD in high level operations equipment.
CFast- also past its prime. what CF should have been when it (CFast) came out near 10 years ago. FUD helped to kill it. only one still camera maker using it, Canon.
SD and all its variations- is getting close to it theoretical limit of development has never really competed as a performance design
XQD- (to be renamed CFexpress) is the next gen in tech and operation that will allow for faster, simpler camera memory flow path and increased performance.

XQD has already reduced the limits in camera functionality. it will continue to do so.

you do have the choice to use what you wish at this point.

you choose to shun it, I embrace it

Jul 27, 2017 at 01:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XQD vs SD

SD cards are flimsy and the plastic tends to crack or the write switch fails. They are difficult to manipulate with gloves. The small size also makes them easier to lose.

EBH

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:01 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XQD vs SD

For me the SD in my D500 isn't up to snuff in throughput, I do run into the buffer when shooting to both cards. I find the XQD form factor the perfect mix of size and robustness. I find SD to small (easier to lose) and too flimsy (although I've never broken one). I find CF and C-Fast to be overly large. Of all those formats I like XQD the most. But SD is very convenient if you have computers with built in SD slots and it is less expensive. If you are happy with the speed of SD on the D500 then it makes sense you prefer it.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:23 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XQD vs SD

As far as I know, XQD was only produced by Lexar and SONY. As we know, Lexar is out of the memory business (https://www.micron.com/about/blogs/2017/june/micron-discontinuing-lexar-removable-storage-retail-business) and SONY didn't introduce any camera that uses XQD cards (A9 would be a perfect fit for these cards).
Now the question is, how future proof this system really is?

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · XQD vs SD

XQD will be made for quite a few years, certainly after the last of the cameras using them are being produced. Ultimately cards are consumables like batteries.

EBH

Jul 30, 2017 at 01:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kosin
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · XQD vs SD

EB-1 wrote:
XQD will be made for quite a few years, certainly after the last of the cameras using them are being produced. Ultimately cards are consumables like batteries.

EBH

I bet the same was said in the era of Blu-ray vs HD-DVD (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD). Many thought that HD DVD will win the war. After all, HD DVDs "are consumables like batteries"
My point is, is it wise to invest in the system that isn't backed up by its current/only manufacturer at the moment (SONY)?

Jul 30, 2017 at 03:13 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · XQD vs SD

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

kosin wrote:
I bet the same was said in the era of Blu-ray vs HD-DVD (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD). Many thought that HD DVD will win the war. After all HD DVDs "are consumables like batteries"
My point is, is it wise to invest in the system that isn't backed up by its current/only manufacturer at the moment (SONY)?

Cameras and such are all expenses, not an investment.
Buy the number of cards you need now and maybe for the next year if you find a bargain here and there. Either in form factor, interface, or performance, every two years or so there will be changes even within one type of card.

EBH

Jul 30, 2017 at 03:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · XQD vs SD

sony was the original producer for 3 years before Lexar finally threw down. now Lexar is going out of the removable memory business. the D850 is locked in to it as primary memory. and I've bee using it since the D4 came out. I start worrying about it when I can no longer replace the ones I have. in the mean time i'm sure not investing in CF. UHS-II SD has fairly mediocre results overall. it actually slows down the D500 with XQD as primary raw and SD holding the jpg.

XQD will do well in the D850.

Jul 30, 2017 at 03:36 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · XQD vs SD

D850

EBH

Jul 30, 2017 at 06:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · XQD vs SD

EB-1 wrote:
D850

EBH

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/27/the-nikon-d850-will-be-capable-of-4k-uhd-video-in-fx-format-with-no-crop.aspx/

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:20 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password